So much beer and so little time...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drover's dog

Reaction score
I think I’m a traditional POME bitter man, and must say have had some good home brewing experiences with cloned recipes. Having said that I also absolutely love the taste of a good Creveza (must be that bit of latin in my blood from North Yorkshire) but haven’t had much luck in an all grain recipe choice and the only one I did try was a kit and it was as headless as that chook that runs around Australia.

So getting to the point, which I'm oft faulted for, does any of you have a recipe for an all grain Cerveza (with a head). I know Cerveza type beers are sipped from delicate bottles with a slice of lime… but I want mine in a glass with some froth.

See ya next time.

Hi WE&L,
Appreciate your replies, now and past. Can you tell me (Cerveza) apart is their an adjunct that helps retain strong heads, I was being a bit smart with the Creveza kit but sometimes heads are good and strong, a pleasure to chew through, while others just dissolve before your eyes.

I didn't think Cerveza has a reputation for good head. More like thin minimal head isn't it? You ever seen a glass of Corona with a head?
Thumbs up to Flaked Maize though. It has a nice sweet touch even if the gravity falls low.
Corona measures at 1.014 in the Hydrometer and that is way higher than I usually finish at but even with that higher gravity the head is still minimal.

So Drovers Dog here is a beer I couldn't resist trying, a little further south than your neck of the woods and way further south than my ancestral neck of the woods. Went into the cask on Wednesday and had to try it today Bass Pale Ale clone. Magnificent, hat is off to Gordon Strong.
001.JPG

I make something very similar, a refreshing summer drink but for a twist (not lemon) try using some New Zealand hops.

Mash technique can have a lot to do with head retention too. I do old school infusions and decoctions.
Never skim the boil, work ways so all the frothyness stays in the brew. My attempts in the ball park of Cerveza had better retention and most of all. They were good to drink! I haven't been impressed at all with any cerveza that I can buy off the shelf. That's an important point for my experience. So go with your home brew it will probably be better than imported options. YMMV.

So Drovers Dog here is a beer I couldn't resist trying, a little further south than your neck of the woods and way further south than my ancestral neck of the woods. Went into the cask on Wednesday and had to try it today Bass Pale Ale clone. Magnificent, hat is off to Gordon Strong.
View attachment 111866
Been away, just got your post… Bass Blue Triangle was one of the best beer I ever had as a young bloke. Sounds like I’ll have to give this one a try.

When I was in the UK a few years ago, and while I was drinking Timothy Taylor Landlord through the pump, also trying the craft beers I had seen before going there. I did notice the older gents drinking the Bass Pale Ale. I just wonder how much of this beer is drunk, I wish now I had tried it, at least I would have had a comparison to what I have made.

+1 Carapils for head retention.
Cerveza is a very thin tasting beer for mine so im super surprised the FG of Corona is 1.014.
id just make a basic lager, mash low, minimal hops and heaps of adjuncts to thin it out.
https://beerrecipes.org/Recipe/13259/mexican-lager.html

p.s 2 years down the track of home brewing, my money is on you not being into "Cerveza" type beers

Latest posts

Back