Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reporting back re: my Hark Electric Smoker

It's been seeing a lot of action but it was having issues with it maintaining the dialed in temp. It would drift anywhere between 15*C up or down which wasn't a issue with some meats but the more finicky ones it was a real nightmare.

Ended up grabbing an Auber Smoker PID Controller http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_28 and it works like a dream holding the temp rock steady.

In order to run in it with the PID the Hark controller needs to be bypassed so the element is on when the power is on

This mod is pretty straight forward. It involves removing the top cover of the smoker and unplugging the controller (there's a 7 pin connector under the top) and using a female to female breadboard connector (or similar) to form a circuit with the white and red wire. The original controller can be reinstated at any time if needed. Also it's worth taping up all the connectors as a fair bit of moisture seems to end up under the lid.

Female-to-Male-Breadboard-Jumper-Wires%20%282%29.jpg

Other than the temperature drift issue the unit is pretty solid. Set and forget really. Have had some awesome ribs, brisket, sausages and duck and really anything I've thrown at it.

Having had a play with the unit over the last few months have been thinking a build from scratch wouldn't be too difficult. Something like macca05's above or some ultimate smoking pr0n like this http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/132907/pellet-smoker-fridge-conversion/20 would be the go.

I'll see where my smoking fetish takes me.

Cheers

WarmerBeer said:
I've seen those seals available before, but wondered over the usefulness of them.

After all, there is a big vent on the back of the smoker, which you can't (easily) fully closed, designed specifically to let smoke out/air in?
I got the door seal nearly 2 years ago for my ALDI smoker and still havnt installed it. I have however modified the rear air vent, and under some trial and error which had me confused a lil' to start with was.

Your smoker will burn hotter at the same temperature with the vent fully open, than it does with the vent fully closed, thus saving gas.
I like many thought if I closed the vent off, the heat would stay in, but NO, open vent, heat circulates better and you your smoker burns hotter, which means you can wing down the LPG to gain the same temp.

These are trials myself and a workmate done, on both our ALDI smokers and also his lil' webber.

This may be common knowledge, but everywhere i read said to block it off, and I never thought any different untill i started thinking about fire and wood heaters and how they work. As from new my vent has been closed off and never thought to change it.

I will however put the door seal on one day soon so smoke is only allowed to exit the top vent after making contact with all meat instead of excaping from every angle of the door.

With the seal on smoke only exits at the top vent. I find I can then use the vent as a fine temperature control to the bottom course one.

By opening the vent it means I can have the gas up more which helps keep the smoke going AND have a low temperature

philistine said:
man, I only just noticed that this thread existed - Im somewhat obsessed with smoking meats and making small goods! Actually just finished smoking a big chunk of pork loin to make an awesome german Kassler
Anyways... I thought Id take the liberty of hijacking this thread and showing off the smoker I built...
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/gallery/image/8883-meat-smoker-finished/

I also thought i'd chuck in my two-cents regarding woods for smokes - if you can avoid it, dont buy the bagged stuff from bunnings or rays or bbqs galore. Its imported and kiln dried and loses a lot of its flavour and value before you even find it in the shop.
An EXCELLENT alternative for Hickory is Red Gum and a good alternative to Mesquite (which is pretty harsh and bitter) is Grape Vine.

If your smoking fish, go for something like Sheoak, Lemon Scented Gum or even Black Wattle. All are native to AUS and easily sourced.
Thats a ripper smoker ! Totally jealous . I'm about to embark on building my own wine barrel smoker..will post pics when done . I do cold smoking also ( www.smaltcoldsmokedsalt.com ) thas a salt the better half & I sell . We get the wood from a bloke in Rosanna , sells native chips & chunks . 12 or 13 diff types of wood . His business is called native smoke & he runs a free range butcher called simply free range . Go see him..his names scott . He also just started selling a s/steel cold smoker that we use . Awsome bit of kit !!

hahaha - small world!! I know scott, he's our local butcher. I did a big oktoberfest bash last year, whole suckling pig, homemade bratwurst und weisswurst and OF COURSE a shitload of my finest home-brewed Hefeweizen. Anyway, I got all the meat off Scott and paid for it with beer :D
I also have a packet of SMALT in the kitchen !

I've got a stack of Sheoak if you ever wanna try some for smalting. If you're keen, Ill leave it with scott or something. I run a gardening and landscaping business so Im always acquiring all sorts of woods when doing garden clean ups etc. so it doesnt cost me anything.

I've actually written to the moderators here at AHB to ask if I can plug nativesmoke as a business and link to his website etc etc. I dunno what their policies are but if they're up for it I was gonna see if Scott was interested in becoming a site sponser - although its not brew related so.... who knows...

Keen to see this wine barrel smoker you're making! I love building shit, my next project is gonna be a big Uraguayan/Argentinian grill. Hit me up if you need a second opinion on any 'design issues' :beer:

philistine said:
hahaha - small world!! I know scott, he's our local butcher. I did a big oktoberfest bash last year, whole suckling pig, homemade bratwurst und weisswurst and OF COURSE a shitload of my finest home-brewed Hefeweizen. Anyway, I got all the meat off Scott and paid for it with beer :D
I also have a packet of SMALT in the kitchen !

I've got a stack of Sheoak if you ever wanna try some for smalting. If you're keen, Ill leave it with scott or something. I run a gardening and landscaping business so Im always acquiring all sorts of woods when doing garden clean ups etc. so it doesnt cost me anything.

I've actually written to the moderators here at AHB to ask if I can plug nativesmoke as a business and link to his website etc etc. I dunno what their policies are but if they're up for it I was gonna see if Scott was interested in becoming a site sponser - although its not brew related so.... who knows...

Keen to see this wine barrel smoker you're making! I love building shit, my next project is gonna be a big Uraguayan/Argentinian grill. Hit me up if you need a second opinion on any 'design issues' :beer:
Yes , small world indeed ! Thanks for the offer on the wood , much appreciated ! I'll put some progress pics of the barrel smoker up too . I also work for a business in Reservoir that sell beer supplies ( home make it ) so feel free to come in & say hi too :) I'm seeing Scott Thursday , and will say hello :)

2015-02-08 19.38.00.jpg

Pork belly. Brined overnight with honey and molasses. Smoked for 5 hours over apple and hickory. Glazed with apple jelly then crisped up over the BBQ...

Great to see people's smoking rigs and techniques. I dabble a bit with low and slow on the weber, my go to dish is pulled lamb.

Airgead said:
attachicon.gif
2015-02-08 19.38.00.jpg

Pork belly. Brined overnight with honey and molasses. Smoked for 5 hours over apple and hickory. Glazed with apple jelly then crisped up over the BBQ...
I enjoyed my dinner tonight. I would have enjoyed your pork belly more. Looks fantastic.

It was. I have the last of it as a sandwich today. Yum.

Murray said:
Great to see people's smoking rigs and techniques. I dabble a bit with low and slow on the weber, my go to dish is pulled lamb.
shoulder or leg?

Did some smoked beef ribs last night, meant to take a photo but forgot, must have been the smell. Did them in the WFO, 3 days after pizza night. 0ven was at 135 in the morning and I chucked a couple of chunks of ironbark on the old embers, fired some air from the air compressor and the fire started up again. Put the ribs in which I had salted/oiled the previous day and left the door slightly open for 30 minutes to keep the smoke going, then closed it up.Took about 6 hours to get to 93C internal, wrapped them up in foil then a towel and stuck em in the esky until dinner time ( shared a little one with the missus first for quality control ) Had a beautiful crust and pretty tender but only managed 1 1/2 as they are pretty rich.

Loving the WFO, well worth the build effort, the Primo XL kamado is feeling a little left out. First day after pizza the oven was at 275C in the morning, bit hot for a bread loaf so made 4 bread sticks with leftover pizza dough and had one for brekky. Just before lunch baked the sourdough loaf, came out pretty crusty but good. That night oven at 245C, chucked some dried apple branches in which caught fire straight away, put in a stuffed pork loin and a tray of spuds/pumpkin and closed it up, came out nicely smoked ( subtle ), cooked to 66C internal, a little more than I like, but had the outlaws over for dinner as they had the kids all weekend and they like all meat cooked to death. Day 2 and oven was at 190C, Browned a chook in the le creuset chicken cooker, then fried up some onion and fennel seeds deglazed pot with a cup of Kolsch and put the chook in for about 1 1/4 hours, almost falling off the bone. Was going to do some jerky today but didn't get @ to marinading, will try that next week.

seamad said:
Was going to do some jerky today but didn't get @ to marinading, will try that next week.
Seamad you are making me drool!

Thoughts from another WFO user:

Have a go at Fruit leather (roll ups) with your remaining heat. My kids think they are lollies and with all the great stone fruit around at the moment its a good time.

Just stew up some fruit (apricots are great, mango up your way?)( i do not add sugar)
add a little lemon juice when done to avoid browning.
Put a silicon mat in a baking pan or pyrex dish
Pour in about 5mm thick and stick in WFO and leave until dry.

I normally put it in at around 60oC and leave it over night with the door a little cracked.
Comes out a touch smokey at times, depends on how much ash etc is left in there.

Also at this time of year have a go at semi WFO dried tomatoes, also good to use up the last bit of heat. Jar them or freeze them for your pizza over the year. Just quarter very ripe tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and chuck in until you're happy with the desiccation level.

If you want to use your WFO oven for smoking without fire in there, look into getting an a-maze smoker.. works for me.

http://www.mistygully.com.au/a-maze-n-pellet-smoke-generator-5x8-cold/

enjoy

beercus

Cheers mate, will give the toms a go, have a few cherries growing, will cut them in 1/2 and try. I've got the smoking tube from aussie bbq smoke that I put their pellets in for cold smoking in the primo, was going to try that in the wfo, but I'll have to leave the door ajar so it doesn't go out completely ? or do you find the pellets keep going with the door closed ? At the moment I just put some smoking timber in on the embers and when they are alight put the food in and close the door, the fire goes out pretty well straight away. Haven't made a proper door yet, currently just a bit of ceramic board with alfoil on it that fits into the inner arch. Planning on welding up a SS one at some stage.
Roll ups are probably the most perfect thing for causing tooth decay, I'm sure my kids would love them but I'm a mean ******* who doesn't let them have lollies or soft drink ( except at birthday parties).

seamad said:
Cheers mate, will give the toms a go, have a few cherries growing, will cut them in 1/2 and try. I've got the smoking tube from aussie bbq smoke that I put their pellets in for cold smoking in the primo, was going to try that in the wfo, but I'll have to leave the door ajar so it doesn't go out completely ? or do you find the pellets keep going with the door closed ? At the moment I just put some smoking timber in on the embers and when they are alight put the food in and close the door, the fire goes out pretty well straight away. Haven't made a proper door yet, currently just a bit of ceramic board with alfoil on it that fits into the inner arch. Planning on welding up a SS one at some stage.
Roll ups are probably the most perfect thing for causing tooth decay, I'm sure my kids would love them but I'm a mean ******* who doesn't let them have lollies or soft drink ( except at birthday parties).
I find i need to keep the door cracked a little and do need to play around with relighting every now and then. I do as you do with chips or pellets on the coals if i'm after heat, but if i'm doing bacon or ham i'm after a very low heat so i use the cold smoker and a heat saturated dome with little to no coals.

toothbrush?

Beercus

tomorrow's project ------- >
Left - Pork loin, which was coated in a dry cure then vac sealed for 5 days in the fridge. Now rinsed, going back into the fridge overnight un-covered to form a pellicle then into the smoker tomorrow - Soon to be KAISERFLEISCH!!!

Right - Full piece of girello, brined with pickling spices and garlic for 2 weeks, then rinsed and soaked in fresh water overnight to de-salinate. After brushing with oil, it is now thouroughly encrusted with a blend of crushed black pepper, coriander seeds, paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder and a touch of dark brown sugar. Into the firdge overnight then into smoker tomorrow.
Soon to be Pastrami!!
IMG_1642.JPG

2 hours in... just came back from the shops and I can smell the goodness from down the st :icon_drool2:
IMG_1646.JPG

last one - ill stop now
THANKS FOR LETTING ME CRAP ON ABOUT MY MEAT EVERYONE :beer:
IMG_9028.jpeg

Latest posts

Back