Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$110???? You Aldi shoppers suck!

Seriously, can't wait until they open stores over here in Wait Awhile.

Or somewhere in other states thats not a bustling metropolitan area...

Cummon Aldi....Rockhampton has basically evrything else....

Cheers.

Danwood said:
Yeah, I'd eat that !

What wood for the fish? Oak...beech...cedar, maybe?

I just tried cherry for the first time, on a heap of roma tomatoes, which ended up as asian-inspired BBQ sauce.
Star anise works brilliantly with the deep, fruity cherry smoke. Reminds me of my grand dad's pipe tobacco smoke when I was a kid.

Merry Christmas all.
For fish, i reccomend Hickory. My Uncle always used hickory (on tommy ruff) and is always bloody delicious!

Bomber Watson said:
Or somewhere in other states thats not a bustling metropolitan area...

Cummon Aldi....Rockhampton has basically evrything else....

Cheers.
Toowoomba has 3, Warwick and gatton both have one. Must be different rules because were not too far from Brisbane.

sp0rk said:
So I went over to Aldi before to grab some meat to grill on my new BBQ tomorrow
There was 2 smokers left marked down to $110 so I grabbed one
Looking forward to slow roasting a pork leg some time next week :)
True, the ones on sale 2 weeks ago in Grafton Aldi sold out in a couple of hours.

Probably has something to do with my promotion of them, Aldi should be paying me a finders fee of some sort.

2.5kg Pork leg roast went into the smoker at 830 this morning,it's smelling amazing
Will post pics when it's done

A bit of a newb q, with regards to smoke/wood chips, do you guys weigh up the wood to a recipe per x weight of meat?
Or is it just a matter of chucking a bunch of wood on the coals and hope for the best?

I use a weber kettle BBQ on heat beads btw

Oops, a little forgetful...

uxaVMYw.jpg

HH53rtJ.jpg

Was farkin delicious

seehuusen said:
A bit of a newb q, with regards to smoke/wood chips, do you guys weigh up the wood to a recipe per x weight of meat?
Or is it just a matter of chucking a bunch of wood on the coals and hope for the best?

I use a weber kettle BBQ on heat beads btw
I basically use a cup full for nearly everything. Half out free, the other half wrapped in alfoil with a few small holes punched in.

If im doing a big cook-up, and i mean using all shelves i will double that.

Your webber probably wouldnt even need a full cup full, many smaller quantities over the first 3 hours.

Trial and Error Baby!!!

Just barging in, sorry...

If anyone has a knackered Weber OTG or OTS 57cm diameter bbq they're getting rid of, give me a holler via PM please.

I need the lid specifically, for a UDS I'm building.

I'm a regular at Knox tip shop on the way home from work, and have also become a danger to other road users when driving past a pile of hard rubbish. No luck yet though.

East Melb. suburbs preferred and there's a few bottles of RIS set aside as payment.

Cheers, Dan

I drove past a complete weber a little while back down the street. Was soo gonna grab it for the same purpose. Unfortunately the burning tyres prevented me... <_<

Add up a build thread of your UDS mate, i'm gonna commence UDS build in the new year

once i create space in the shed

Santa left me a Smokai cold smoker under the tree this year. Unfortunately, most of the things which I want to cold smoke won't appreciate the ambient temperature of a Perth summer, so a few projects will have to wait. I might start with some malt!

In the mean time, I'll probably plumb it into my existing gas barbecue to do some hot smoking with my cold smoker........... :wacko:

Smoking a pork shoulder for a lunch time BBQ tomorrow & I'm interested in opinions on the timing.
Ideally I'd like to smoke/cook it for 8-9 hours but as I'm at work today I can't start until around 6pm.
Has anyone had success with cooking over two sessions? Or do I need to be setting alarms & getting up in the middle of the night to either stop or start cooking?

If you're comfortable leaving your equipment unattended, definitely get up early and put it on, then crawl back in bed.

Just have it all ready to go, so you just have to strike the match and put the meat on.

Lunch at 1pm maybe? Get up at 3-3.30 and make a start. That leaves a bit of resting time in addition to the 9hrs cook time.

If the internal temp you're looking for arrives early, it's easier to keep the meat warm wrapped in foil and a blanket in a cooler, than it is to rush the final stage of the cook to achieve said temperature.

Put up pics and more power to your tongs !

Back