Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That pastrami looks awesome. It all look awesome.

Cheers! ive been alternating between ham and pastrami all day... its pretty much all ive eaten
the first few hours i was using redgum for smoke and about halfway thru i switched to peach wood.
Cherry would have been my first choice and Ive got shit loads of it cut into chunks stacked up in milk crates- but its all pretty green and needs a month or two to dry out.
I got it a couple weeks back on the way to work when i noticed a flowering cherry street-tree that had been blown over in a storm or something. I literally just pulled over, got the chainsaw and hacked it up right then and there on the nature strip in front of someone's house... all done and dusted in about 10 minutes

it was 6.45am :D :D :D :D

the ham was in for about 3-4 hours and the pastrami probably closer to 6. I was doing a brew at the same time and also bottling a batch, so I was pretty distracted most of the time and not keeping an eye on the coals really. The temp varied up and down between 80c - 120c throughout the process. The last time I did a pastrami i got tired and just went to bed after a few hours. The fire would have burnt itself out at some point during the night and I just pulled it out of the smoker in the morning - it was fine. Its pretty hard to stuff it up.

Did 2 whole chooks in the Hark smoker yesterday
Gotta say they're not as good as when I used to do them over charcoal in my drum smoker, you don't get that delicious flavour from the burning fat smoking back up over the chicken
I also find I'm not a huge fan of using wood with chicken, I might leave the water bowl empty next time and let the fat drip into that, hopefully it'll sizzle and burn to smoke back up

cadeb said:
Yes , small world indeed ! Thanks for the offer on the wood , much appreciated ! I'll put some progress pics of the barrel smoker up too . I also work for a business in Reservoir that sell beer supplies ( home make it ) so feel free to come in & say hi too :) I'm seeing Scott Thursday , and will say hello :)
I whipped this barrel cold smoker up on the weekend ( well just re-inforced & cut the door ) . Shelves to go & pop in Scott's smoker & off I go ! Thinking about an upright barrel hot smoker now ! Cheers

20150215_164220.jpg

philistine said:
last one - ill stop now
THANKS FOR LETTING ME CRAP ON ABOUT MY MEAT EVERYONE :beer:
attachicon.gif
IMG_9028.jpeg
That looks absolutely delicious!! How much wood would you say you used to smoke this?

Also, there's one major issue in the photo.... your glass is empty :p

I started with 2 big chunks of redgum, around the size of a large orange. For long cooks, big chunks of hardwood are really good because they smoulder really slowly for hours and as they diminish they begin adding their own heat and charcoal to the fire. After the redgum i split a 15cm section of peach log which was about 15cm dia. Into a few pieces and added them gradually. Probably only used about 3/4 of it tho

Got sick of drooling every time I read this thread so I manned up and made an UDS. It had it's moments as most DIY instructions are American and we don't have the same stores or products easily at hand. Had the drum sand blasted and I rollered some pot belly black onto it.

UDS.JPG

Then I made some pastrami by soaking corned beef portions to take a bit of the salt out and gave it a dry rub of coriander seed, pepper, paprika and garlic. Hot smoked it over hickory for about 4 hours.

pastrami.JPG

Smoking meat envy sorted.

Welcome aboard! Rad smoker too! When youve got the time/fridge space, try brining the beef yourself - adds a whole'nutha level of satisfaction! Girello makes real good pastrami too, but brisket is the traditional one

Not long ago bought a weber. First roast tomorrow and am looking forward to smoking something too.

Ok, smoking lots of things haha.

Anyone with a weber use a smokenator?

Nah, but I've seen them on Youtube. I started trying to smoke things on the Weber but went overboard (to that idea) .and made myself an UDS. I've smoked so many things now that I don't even post because this thread is lazy :D .

I love it man, the meals my Mrs comes home too are to die for according to me.

So Ham, baconish pork, lamb ribs and every other animals ribs, Fatties, snags and anything else I can think of .....

Once you get started, you won't know where you'll end up. I jokingly said my other hobby once (apart from brewing) was Buffalo Chicken Wings on the Weber. You should see now what comes out of my smoker every week or two.........Make a fatty, you know you want to.

If you're roasting lamb (or beef for that matter) , don't use too much smoke.

I should get the UDS thread going again .

I made a perfect Fatty off the Weber with smoke. C'mon man, you know the drill. Chilli, Cheese, Bacon, Onions and Garlic etc. Mmmmmm.........

What's a fatty?

UDS look great, should I just make one of those instead of the weber?. Wouldn't be hard to do at work on a quiet weekend :)

Pics?

Thanks for the info mate, I love cooking and eating dead animals and think I'll enjoy playing around.

A fatty is basically a dirty, great, big minced pork or beef log mixed with all the stuff Forky mentioned. Then wrapped in bacon and smoked for a few hours. An American delicacy !
And it's one that's probably contributed to more deaths in America than 9mm calibre rounds throughout the whole Vietnam war...
They're so good though !

Dear Lordy.. I must suck on a fatty one day. Sounds absolutely delicious.

Been thinking about fattys all day now and couldn't resist. Had some Woolies sausage meat in the freezer so fattied it up with parmesan, vintage cheese, home grown chilli, onion, garlic and diced bacon inside instead of a weave.

Covered it in Memphis dust and brushed on Kansas City Bbq sauce for the last 1/2 hour. Smoked over Redgum scraps I scrounged from the mud at a wood yard for a couple of homebrews.

Served up with jacket potatoes. It doesn't get better than this.

Travelling around Texas a few years ago we were staying with some friends just outside of Fort Worth. The neighbors poked their head over the fence because they heard our accents and pretty much begged us to come over to their barbecue.

They cooked up a brilliant spread, including fattys - although they called it bacon surprise and served it flat, rather than as a rolled sausage like in the above video.
This was their 'grill'
228891_10151179892603919_1281924118_n.jpg

Kinda makes me want to risk coronary disease again after thinking back on it.

They can get a bad wrap the Americans, Texans especially, but they are honestly some of the nicest people you will meet.

Latest posts

Back