Smashed my Stick Thermo - Upgrade?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
So i was doing a triple decoction today, and i only have a stick thermometer (painful).

I smashed the ******* when i put my paddle down to start moving the second decoction back in, and glass flew everywhere (thankfully it didnt happen in the mash tun!)

I have a second one for use in the kitchen at the Fiance's house, so i jumped in the car and made record time (stupidly in double demerits) to get back to the mash to avoid a longer protein rest than planned, i was thinking of the Dial thermos you see embedded into the side of the mash tun, but i have read some bad experiences, then theres the digital, and thats got its negatives.. so i was wondering would an STC be the way to go until i can afford to spend some cash setting up a full on HERMS?

Im usually only doing single infusions, but do steps occasionally, then once every blue moon i attempt a Triple Decoction - got some nice colour from a Munich II SMASH today!

Any other ideas or recommendations as a stand in? I really am getting the shits with the wait for the stick to slowly read up the temp, as i dont want to leave it in the grain bed, i would likely break the thing inside and end up turfing the whole batch.

Upgrade to 2 or 3 stick thermometers. Cheap enough, calibrate one off the others, back ups if you break one.

I was thinking if I can speed up the reading that would be cool.. I guess sticks are used for a reason!

I have some STCs coming (one died in my keezer and I ordered a spare) so I'll probably calibrate that to the stick , and see if I like it!

That jaycar one looks good, would be interested in trying before buying.

I use a STC for my esky temps now, works well but I've also got a second one for the herms so I know if something's a miss between the two.

I use a pt100 RTD in my HLT to calibrate both the STC's a mates mercury stick confirmed the pt100's been spot on every time.

Have the Jcar version that's linked and it's about 2.3 deg out. Some times more, sometimes less as it's a K type thermo +/-2 deg and will change calibration through different temperature ranges. EG might be great for 60-75 deg but out a little around 40-50 deg also that unit can't be calibrated so I've given it the ass.

This of course is my particular unit and I suspect will differ from each one.

My mate swears by these;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Digital-Food-Cooking-Meat-Probe-Turkey-Thermoprod-Thermo-Prod-Thermo-Prod-/320787077066?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item4ab06657ca&_uhb=1

No personal experience except watching him use it. It's pretty dead on compared to the mercury stick.

What are all the negatives associated with digitals?

I made the move to a badarse digital thermometer, who's name escapes me, haven't looked back.

i take my units to work and check against the high priced units we measure temp and humidity within the buildings and our's are digitial

these ones are $2 on ebay.

digital-thermometer-01.jpg

I don't know if k-type thermo's are accurate enough.

TC_CommonTempRanges_Long.gif

I really want a good quality one to 'calibrate' against.

whats the most acurate thermometer thats also not to $$?

manticle said:
Upgrade to 2 or 3 stick thermometers. Cheap enough, calibrate one off the others, back ups if you break one.
For mashing purposes I have a couple of ten dollar kitchen shop thermometers that I calibrate against boiling water and slushy ice. They usually read to within half a degree.

My Aldi thermometer lasted about four brews then got steam into it and the display died, one of the few bad bits of kit I ever got from Aldi. :huh:

Thermopen is the ducks nuts. Been using their lower end one for about 7 years

The eBay link Elcarter put up is the same as mine, reads +\- 0.3 of my Auber RTD100 and PID.

Somebody else mentioned the thermopen and from what I have read they are close to perfect I know the boys @the electric brewery rate them highly.

The Hanna temp checker would be good, haven't seen a bad product made by them yet.

I broke my glass thermo too and haven't replaced it because the eBay one was $8 and spot on.

On my mash tun I have installed a Fermentap dial thermo at a cost of $80 and it's great but you need to mount them low in the tun to make sure they are always covered in LIQUID. They react slowly but work well.

Brewhardware have a few cool ways of mounting thermo's and sight gauges.

P.s sorry for the long post.

Latest posts

Back