Small Swap - 6 X Longnecks In Syd - Anyone Keen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SO FAR WE HAVE THE FOLLOWING SHOWING INTEREST..

Myself - Definate Starter
DrewCarey82 - Definate Starter
AndrewL - Definate Starter
Phrak - Definate Starter
PetesBrew - Taste Test Pending
Gulpa - Definate Starter
Barls - Date Dependant ???

thats the 7 we need and Phrak has kindly donated a venue for us too , just need confirmation from PetesBrew and Barls... either way if theyre not in someone will be so get fermentin ....

No worries, I've still got the label from your porter so I'll use it as a starting point when I get around to trying it.

Hi Pete,

I have a spare stubby of the yeast if you want to try it. You will have to make a starter. If you make it to this next swap, remind me just before we swap and I will bring it for you.

Cheers,
Andrew.

No worries, I've still got the label from your porter so I'll use it as a starting point when I get around to trying it.

Hi Pete,

I have a spare stubby of the yeast if you want to try it. You will have to make a starter. If you make it to this next swap, remind me just before we swap and I will bring it for you.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Ah cheers for that! I have only just started using different yeasts from what's in the tin, so that'd be a good help. I Lack a beer fridge to store starters and such in...

now can one of you experience beer swapper types that have expressed interest in this swap help me out here, how is this gonna work , ie how many bottles does each person need to provide i was factoring on a dozen long necks each among seven people so that everyone ends up with two bottles of each others beer and doesnt get their own back does that make sense or am i delirious ???

SMALL BREW SWAP .........

THE STORY SO FAR....

WHO:

Myself - Definate Starter
DrewCarey82 - Definate Starter
AndrewL - Definate Starter
Phrak - Definate Starter
PetesBrew - Taste Test Pending
Gulpa - Definate Starter
Barls - Date Dependant ???

WHERE : Phrak has kindly offered us the use of his home for this occasion and I would like to thank him for that and if nobody has any objections i think we should take him up on that offer and enjoy his hospitality ,( id have you all at my place but there just isnt the room ) ....

WHEN : Date yet to be confirmed , somewhere around september to let everyone brew, bottle and age their product

BTW ... could those that have expressed interest please forward me your email addresses so we can sort this off the forum when we get our required numbers rather than clog things up here....
my email address is listed on this site

For the swap to work, you need at least one more person than there are beers.

i.e. If you want to swap a 6 pack of beers, you need 7 people. Each person brings 6 beers and takes 6 different beers back with him/her.

If you're wanting to get 2 bottles each of someone else's beer, you'd just double that amount to 12 beers for 7 people.

I'm personally not super keen to swap 2 bottles each - I don't brew that many long-necks per batch!! :(

There was kind-of an unmentioned rule at the last swap, and it wasn't a problem then, but I think it's worth clarifying now - For fairness, each bottle must be at least 750ml.

Tim.

Ok, it's been a while since I've posted some beer "reviews" from the previous swaps, so here goes! :)

First up, Insight's Ginger Beer - Loved it! I'm a big ginger beer fan, and boy did this one pack a ginger punch! It's the first time I've really had an alcoholic GB, but yeah, really nice. I reckon I could pass this one off to my mum and she doesn't drink beer at all (hates the stuff!).. Recipe please!

Gulpa's Porter - Very nice indeed. A bit more coffee flavoured than my one I thought. I'd almost say that it leant towards a light stouty kind of porter. Delicious though none-the-less. I thought it perhaps a little too carbonated though? but that's easy to fix :)

BenHobbs' IPA - Amber? check. Strong? check. Hoppy? check. Bitter? double-check. Ben, I don't imagine that the IPA is an incredibly easy beer to make, but you've done better than I could! It started out nicely, but towards the end of the pint I thought it turned a bit too bitter. Maybe it was just that the last bit had warmed up more than the start. Not really to my personal liking sorry mate, but don't let me sway you from re-making it! :)

Barls' Vanilla Bean Amber Ale Why can't I put my finger on that taste? I personally reckon there wasn't quite enough vanilla flavour in it... but maybe I was expecting more from the name, if you know what I mean. All-in-all a nice different beer, but I don't reckon I could do too many in one sitting. I guess you could call it a connoisseur beer, rather than a quaffer. Not a bad thing at all :)

Pete's Screaming Toucan Stout This wasn't part of the swap, but Pete kindly gave me a bottle to try. This one was friggen fantastic! For a simple (?) two can kit beer, I reckon this had more flavour, aroma and body than the Guinness Extra Stout from the shops. You're definitely onto a winner with this one mate. Even better that most non-brewers "don't like dark beers" - There's more left for you! I definitely owe you a beer for this one.

Gulpa's Scottish Ale - Drinking a pint of this as I type. Lovely malty flavour and aroma. great body and perfect carbonation. And the taste? Well, this is the first Scottish Ale I've ever had, but let me assure you that I will be brewing one of these in the not too distant future! Bloody fantastic little brew. Recipe please? I think I'll keep it for myself though - too good to waste on the great unwashed i.e. my mates. Only thing is, I reckon she's a lot heavier than 4.5%. I've only had your one bottle tonight, but I feel like I've had three tall-boys!

hmm, what else... I think that's it.

What have I got left to drink - Andrew's APA, Thommo's Cali Common, MVZ's Winter Ale, MVZ's Lager (how much longer???)... umm, and one other plastic bottle with a black cap... No idea what it is, so it will be a nice surprise ;-)

Take care all.
Regards,
Tim.

Spewing! That 6 pack swap went faster than, well something that goes really fast.

Gee, I even had my sixer that was supposed to be for the last swap ready for this one!

Noice one too, ESB Baverian wheat bastardised with a southern german lager yeast (WLP838), BTC's helping of extra fermentables, a dry hopping of weeks upon weeks with hallertau, and a CC period of 6 weeks.

:chug:

Nothing stopping a 7pack swap, if everyone's happy to do it! :)

Glad you liked the toucan stout, Tim.
Dead simple recipe, a can each of Coopers dark Ale & Stout, 500g brown sugar (but I'll swap that to some choc grain next time, 300g maybe), and both yeasts. Sounds wrong, but it worked! Too easy, too tasty, and at 6.75% it's great for a winters night!.

Ah okay I was under the impression that it was a a full batch from everyone and everyone got 30 back.

Ah well even easier!

Hi Guys,

I need to bottle on the weekend. As I dont normally do longecks, can we confirm numbers so I bottle the right number. Im happy to do 7 if others are.

Thanks for the feedback Phrak. I know what you mean about the strength of the scottish, it does seem stronger than that. SG was 1045, FG was 1014. The calculator I use puts it at 4%. I added another .5 for priming.

Recipe is Grumpys Red Stag master brew, Grumpys low IBU extract can, Wyeast 1728, (bottle) primed with raw sugar. From the scottish ale thread recently, it seems the yeast is important to the style (Whitelabs have a scottish yeast). I can probably do a yeast stubby for if you want. Its a good yeast for winter as it brews down to 14c.

The problem with this swap is now my list of brews to do is getting bigger. Too many brews not enough time. I now know that I must master APAs (both light and full bodied) and IPAs. It sounds like I need to put down Pete's Screaming Toucan Stout now as well. Ive previously been put off the 2 can thing by the bitterness issue.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Hi Guys,

I need to bottle on the weekend. As I dont normally do longecks, can we confirm numbers so I bottle the right number. Im happy to do 7 if others are.

Thanks for the feedback Phrak. I know what you mean about the strength of the scottish, it does seem stronger than that. SG was 1045, FG was 1014. The calculator I use puts it at 4%. I added another .5 for priming.

Recipe is Grumpys Red Stag master brew, Grumpys low IBU extract can, Wyeast 1728, (bottle) primed with raw sugar. From the scottish ale thread recently, it seems the yeast is important to the style (Whitelabs have a scottish yeast). I can probably do a yeast stubby for if you want. Its a good yeast for winter as it brews down to 14c.

The problem with this swap is now my list of brews to do is getting bigger. Too many brews not enough time. I now know that I must master APAs (both light and full bodied) and IPAs. It sounds like I need to put down Pete's Screaming Toucan Stout now as well. Ive previously been put off the 2 can thing by the bitterness issue.

Cheers,
Andrew.

I reckon i'd throw in the screaming toucan if my xmas lager, pending taste test falls through (but I reckon it'll be good) - I've got just enough, but it's hard to give away such a tasty drop!
I'm planning on doing the TCB Summer Wheat Wetpak on monday, so if it's a september swap, I'll just scrape in.
Basically, I'm definitely in.
Pete

<snip>Dead simple recipe... 500g brown sugar (but I'll swap that to some choc grain next time, 300g maybe)
Ahh, the brown sugar. Now you mention it, yeah I remember that taste in there. I wouldn't be too quick to change it though, It tastes great as it is. But it'd be interesting to see the difference between the two.
Sounds wrong, but it worked! Too easy, too tasty, and at 6.75% it's great for a winters night!.
Holy crap she's a strong one then! Not surprising though, given the double-can + sugar :)

Cheers for that Pete :)

I think we should close this swap right now with 7 people. By all means run another parrallel swap with more people that come along, and I'm happy to have them both at my place on the same day. All those in favour of closing this swap with 7 people?

Yeah my calc says the same. That's really wierd how it has that effect...

Recipe is <snip> I can probably do a yeast stubby for if you want. Its a good yeast for winter as it brews down to 14c.
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go :) Thanks for the yeast offer as well. I've had a go at harvesting the yeast that was on the bottom, so I'll see how that goes as well. Interesting that it ferments down to 14C though, and that'd explain it's lovely smoothness as well :)

The problem with this swap is now my list of brews to do is getting bigger. Too many brews not enough time.
Haha, my problem exactly too! Plus I don't have enough bottles to keep more than two batches at a time.

ah well, ce la vie. :rolleyes:
Tim.

PS. yes, I have been a post-whore today. You know you love it ;-) :lol:

that was my original plan Phrak just for 7 if we have seven confirmed let do it

id like to have a dozen bottles but if thats a pain for some lets just run the six for this one...

Back