Small Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegs got filled last night, but after quite some time with napisan sitting in it.. the taller keg still had some residual odour of a little stale chocolate syrup that was stuck in the top corner wall.. :(

anyone know of the best way for me to remove the smell...?
i still racked abrew in there and i'll see if its detectable... but would still like to get rid of it.!!

Cheers
KoNG

The only thing I can think of that would potentially do a better job than napisan would be caustic... Maybe give that a try. Once its fully clean, if it still smells at all I'm sure once you've put a couple of brews through it the smell will dissipate.

Kegs got filled last night, but after quite some time with napisan sitting in it.. the taller keg still had some residual odour of a little stale chocolate syrup that was stuck in the top corner wall.. :(

anyone know of the best way for me to remove the smell...?
i still racked abrew in there and i'll see if its detectable... but would still like to get rid of it.!!

Cheers
KoNG

fill it with Porter, problem solved!
Cheers
Gerard

Cheers
Gerard

Adds a new meaning to "Chocolate Porter" :p

"A delightful porter, true to style, with rich roasted maltiness and a beautiful tan head that lingers in the glass. Also a hint of Maccas choccie sundae on the back palate" :huh:

Replacing the orings, seals and any part not made of steel would help too, if you havent already that is.

Remember these kegs have had chocolate, vanilla or strawberry syrup in them for years.

Replacing the orings, seals and any part not made of steel would help too, if you havent already that is.

Remember these kegs have had chocolate, vanilla or strawberry syrup in them for years.

I'd say you are spot on Offline... a little birdy mentioned the O-rings to me yesterday.
the keg is full now so we'll see how it goes, but i'll get a replacement in anyways.

:beer:
KoNG

Cheers
Gerard

think i'll just change the seals.... :p
unless you have some porter ready that i could fill it with..? do you deliver.?

A question to all of those people who have these kegs. Will a corny lid fit in place of the original ?
Cheers
Doug

the smaller stumpy one in my photo's have the same lid doogie, but the taller skinny one seems to be a little different. Most people have the shorter ones anyway. You would have to drill the keg for a gas post if you were to interchange lids.

Yes the corny lids will fit on mine but the mini keg lids wont fit in the corny kegs, the handle is too wide and hits the rubber keg handles.

Thanks sooooo much chaps ! Do you think that one of these will solve my gas post problems ?

right you are.! i hadnt tried it that way, but the handle on my corny is much smaller than the taylor mini kegs handle.

May i ask why you are wanting to know doogiechap.?

would definately work and would be ideal if you can part with the cash. my adapters cost $10 and gas posts cost around $22 from memory. $90 and $30 odd is a big difference, especially if you need to kit out a few kegs :D

would definately work and would be ideal if you can part with the cash. my adapters cost $10 and gas posts cost around $22 from memory. $90 and $30 odd is a big difference, especially if you need to kit out a few kegs :D

I agree they would definitely work. Remember if you have lots of these small kegs you can just purchase as many of these lids as you need for dispensing (eg 1 or 2) and use the lids that came with the mini kegs for storing beer in them.

offline... arent the lids that come with the kegs essentialy an open system.? probably not best for storage. or did you get something to block the 1/8" threaded hole.?

offline... arent the lids that come with the kegs essentialy an open system.? probably not best for storage. or did you get something to block the 1/8" threaded hole.?

The original gas QD can be obtained, but the post have no valve in them so they need to be keep connected to the gas. Plus then you have two different types QD's.

So on the storage ones just block the hole in the lid with a ss bolt for example. Then use a liquid QD to gas it up via the liquid post. Time to serve replace lid with the one that has a gas QD on it.

i only have two pluto guns on my party setup, so i only have two dispencing lids, but i have 8 mini kegs.

yeh i have the original QD's, but i dont use them.
that would work well with the s/s bolt... and you can always prime them as i am doing, instead of force carbing.

Chaps, I got my Keg (borrowed a lid from one of my Corny's till Newguy's lids arrive) and had a 1/2" bsp socket welded into it for my Taylor Gas plug. shead.gif
Now i can't get the lid on till I remove the plug... Idiot !! I'll play with the handle to see if I can work around it when I empty it of beer next :rolleyes: ;) Idiot !!

:lol: yeh i mentioned that in post 51 Doogie...
bummer
looks like you will need to get the gas post put on the actual keg.!?

Edit: hang on... cant you fill the keg, put lid on (minus gas post), then screw gas post in...?
(reverse process when keg empty....)

Yep if I want to remove the lid I need to unscrew the gas post so it can be done but just a PITA ;)
I can angle the lid enough to get the racking hose in to fill so laziness will dictate that my filling and cleaning regime will be slightly different to the norm :p .
I got my bronco tap and sodastream adaptor over the past couple of days so the party setup is close
Just need to find an attractively prices cylindrical cooler. :rolleyes:
Thanks for all of your help and advice on this guy's.
Cheers
Doug

:lol: yeh i mentioned that in post 51 Doogie...
bummer
looks like you will need to get the gas post put on the actual keg.!?

Edit: hang on... cant you fill the keg, put lid on (minus gas post), then screw gas post in...?
(reverse process when keg empty....)

Just need to find an attractively prices cylindrical cooler.

Doug, keep your eye on K-Mart - they have been flogging those 'Bubba Keg' coolers at various prices over the last few months, sometimes they are even in the bargain bin. They are just a bit too short for a normal 3gal corny by my calculations, but they'd probably be perfect for the mini kegs.

Latest posts

Back