Small Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohh goody I have a friend who works in Maccas she is 2IC she might be able to help me out here! Might give her a message now!

Steve the Zymologist said:
excuse my ignorance but I only see 1 port on the top

do you have to drill and attach anotheror what???
[post="75512"][/post]​

Yep, they look like the ones my hbs has, been waiting for them to modify them...

I can see one fitting in the lid (gas in?) and another in the top of the body which i would imagine has a dip tube running off the bottom of it.

Very nice looking bits of gear, and I am insanely jealous of those who have "scored" some.

dreamboat

The other othion is a tap-a-draft system. they come with 6L bottles. Mine works a treat and sits in the fridge. I have 4 bottles, but might look at getting a few more. Having the option to dispense with some NO2 is good as well.

another option:

If you go into Bunnings, they have some nice stainless steel garden sprayers. I have a couple of plastic ones I've modded to use as party kegs (just use the hand pump to pressurise) and i've been tempted to get a stainless one. They are about $80 from memory.

Apparently there is some part that attaches to the nipple on the lid, then the quick disconnect clips to that. Its a smaller disconnect then the corny type gas ones.

Im thinking of putting some gas line on the nipple with a hose clamp then attach a relief valve and some type of disconnect to this. There is no check/one-way valve in the nipple so the disconnect will have to have close when disconnected or I will need a separate valve.

The nipple just screws in to the lid so I could replace it with some thing else but it needs to keep clear of the handle. Here is a pic of the lid and nipple inside and out. Any ideas couldnt hurt.

Ps. I got them from the company that services their machines not maccas, but it was the maccas manager who organised it all for me.

nipple.jpg

lid.jpg

A solution would be to buy some stainless steel tubeless tyre valves and fit those to the lid. Then, fit a tyre filler chuck to your gas line.

You do this by cutting the gas line, fitting an inline quick disconnect, as used by air tools and available at larger automobile shops, and then a tyre filler chuck. It is then a simple matter to swap from a regular disconnect for filling cornies, to the tyre valve filler chuck.

To purge the headspace, gas up the keg, press down on the valve to release pressure.

A tyre valve filler chuck is great for gassing up PET bottles with a tyre valve fitted. A must have for gadget head brewers.

Unscrew the nipple and get someone to machine up an adapter to fit a normal gas connection.

Stagger

Unscrew the nipple and get someone to machine up an adapter to fit a normal gas connection.

If you end up getting an adaptor machined have a few made up because I wouldn't mind having one :)

I just spoke to somone who works at a local Maccas (can't tell you who, where or how I know them...dammned Privacy Act! :lol: ).

She said the manager there is really easy going and even sold some parts for the orange juice machine to some random woman who called up asking the other day.

I asked her to check out the syrup keg situation for me...fingers crossed :)

PZ.

Now how do I persuade my daughter that Macca's is a good career choice? :D :D

Ok here is my solution for the gas inlet concerns, ss tubeless tyre valves, it also works as a pressure relief valve, Ill force carbonate through the beer out Q.D. and if I ever need to or want to I can also dispense with a hand pump, remembering the 2 day rule with air pumped beers though.

POL

Thanks for the idea; Ill probably just fit a tyre filler chuck to my soda stream/party set up.

lid_on.jpg

inside.jpg

cap_off.jpg

I've got a bit of a space problem right now... where would I be able to get some of these kegs??

I like the idea of them... like was written earlier, it's good for parties

Also on the idea of small kegs- does west end still make those 5L kegs of draught? It will mean having to drink the stuff, but if it's what I have to do to get one, I'll do it

Hi all,

Just an up date on my mini keg setup

I have had a ss adaptor made so that I can fit a standard corny gas post to the hole in the lid.

adaptor.jpg

I only got 3 made up (as I only had 3 gas posts).

gas_post.jpg

Im going to plug the other lids so that I can store beer in more then 3 mini kegs, then swap the lids over when I want to serve from it.

gas_post_II.jpg

awesome work offline. It would be great to get a source for these kegs.

Hi all,

Just an up date on my mini keg setup

I have had a ss adaptor made so that I can fit a standard corny gas post to the hole in the lid.

View attachment 9315

I only got 3 made up (as I only had 3 gas posts).

View attachment 9313

I'm going to plug the other lids so that I can store beer in more then 3 mini kegs, then swap the lids over when I want to serve from it.

View attachment 9314

pressure relief :excl: :excl: :excl:

I finally got around to sorting out some adapters for my mini kegs.
the guys at Gameco made me some brass ones for a small fee... :)

AdaptersRS.JPG

Because the female thread in a gas post is not a often used BSP (i think.? Offline..probably why your mate had trouble making the S/S adapters) I decided to grab the 1/2" BSP male taylor plugs and then just get the above adapter made.. which is 1/8" BSP male to 1/2" BSP female. looks like this now..

MiniLid.JPG

i'm still waiting on a couple more of these little kegs, but for now i have two different shaped ones! the newer ones are taller and skinnier and actually hold an extra Pint.. :super:

Both_Mini__s.JPG

Because of the taller skinny one, its hard to find a suitable esky to fit it and then fit QD's and beer line for a tap out the side. SO for now, i'm just going to use something i already have. which is an Ali cold drinks bucket.

MiniSetup_RS.JPG

I've got a mate sorting me with some neoprene offcuts from billabong, so i plan to make a 'lid' so to speak which will go around and over the handles and have holes cut out for the kegs.
heres an aerial view just for fun..

AboveMini_RS.JPG

(excuse the last 2 photo's quality, they were done with my phone)

Thats it for now...
just need a Party, BBQ or picnic to attend and i'll be sorted... :lol:

Kegs got filled last night, but after quite some time with napisan sitting in it.. the taller keg still had some residual odour of a little stale chocolate syrup that was stuck in the top corner wall.. :(

anyone know of the best way for me to remove the smell...?
i still racked abrew in there and i'll see if its detectable... but would still like to get rid of it.!!

Cheers
KoNG

Back