Slurry pitched - haze in bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
I put down a cube on a slurry cake (same wort as previous brew) and it went bananas the first few days of brewing and actually overflowed slurry into the top of the lid. I asked on here and someone told me to glad wrap it, which I did - and at the same time dry hopped. The slurry was quite thick on the top of the beer, and the hops didn't really diffuse well. So I decided to cold crash it for a few days, but there was still hop bits on top so I gave it a stir and let it sit for a further day. then bought it out to room temp to bottle (quite warm here atm, so room temp is high 20s)- but had to wait another day to bottle, so cold crashed again for a further 24 hours.

Bottling went fine 24 hours later and the beer has the same SG as the previous.. but i did notice it still had some flakey bits in it left over from the dry hopping. It appears more hazy in the bottle from previous batch, and I'm wondering if this is due to the slurry pitch (More slurry, cloudier beer), a temp issue or if its something that will sort it self out in the bottle over time (the haze will drop).

Any input appreciated.

If you are racking to a priming bucket / container you should be able to bottle very clear beer. Both yeast and hops are often very compact for me, although I also aim to cold crash most ales for 3-7 days. Have had a few very clear beers.

You might have chill haze but I am not really experienced with that.

Ideally, I'd like to take the temp down far enough to know the priming sugar won't be eaten by the yeast; and then crash at 0 degrees C. But usually I just bulk prime and set the temp controller to 0C. (Remembering, of course, that depending on the amount of alcohol and the starting and ending gravities, most beer won't freeze until minus 1.5C). But you have to be able to trust your temp probe or you'll end up with a beer slushie - which may or may not be a good thing for you.

The lower the cold crash temp, the more chance you'll precipitate out the proteins that cause the chill haze. If you raise the temp, they'll go bck into solution and just reappear when you serve it at 4 or more degrees, or whatever temp you usually serve your beer. These days, I crash for a minimum of 5 days, and usually 7 days at 0C, and bottle immediately from the fermeezer at that same temp (minus the ambient temp change on the beer for the 15 min or so bottling process). It really makes a distinct difference if you do have a chill haze problem.

Next time save a bottle of slurry and use that to ferment rather than the whole cake.
Just as easy and cleaner.

Yeah I think I'll go back to yeast rinsing. I have done I think 4 slurry pitches and I've noticed they don't turn out as good.. think double slurry has a bit of an impact. Rinsing yeast is a long drawn out process in comparison but.

Either that or cold crash longer - I dunno - don't think I'll be doing double batches for a while so I won't worry too much.

Pitch a cup or so rather than the whole cake and see how that goes.
I do that because I am lazy and it works for me

indica86 said:
Pitch a cup or so rather than the whole cake and see how that goes.
I do that because I am lazy and it works for me
Yeah, I haven't re-pitched yeast much, but just pitching a cup-ish of unrinsed slurry worked pretty well. No more effort than pitching a whole cake but far better results IME. My yeast was "harvested" (scooped into a sanitised Pyrex jug and then glad wrapped and put in the fridge) within eight hours of pitching which probably helped.

Cool - I'll do this next time - Good news is however, it has dropped clear :D - but yes, last time the brew overflow I think was due to too much yeast and too rapid a brew

Latest posts

Back