Slow/non Existant Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morepork

Reaction score
Good afternoon All,

Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue as me, it seems that i have had two miss-fires on a wort that just wont seem to ferment.

I have put down a Muntons Pilsner, with a kilo of a Dextrose Mix from the local HBS, i also added the European Yeast, as i am currently brewing it at an average temp of 13 - 14 deg.

However i have had this going for approx 2 weeks, after the first week of no change in the Gravity (1.039) i added the second round of yeast to give it a boot in the proverbial, however nothing has happened again (still at 1.039). Although a standard Coopers kit with the yeast that came in the can was nailed at this temp (although obviously the fermentation was dragged out a little longer)

Question is, has anyone had this issue before, is there something i am doing wrong from the limited information above. I am fearful of adding more yeast, as i dont like Vegemite that much, or am i being to impatient with the fermetation process now i have the european yeast added....... Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

G'day Morepork (love your name by the way...)

Is the yeast you've mentioned above, the yeast that comes with the can? the first thing that comes to mind is that the Muntons Kit may not be a lager yeast and may need to be kept warmer than 13/14 degrees. I would have thought it would have begun (if not completely finished) by now, but i don't know that particular kit and yeast.

Have you tried discarding the first sample you take for your gravity readings and take your reading from a second lot drawn from your tap? sometimes yeast and other material can gather around the tap outlet giving you an incorrect reading.

Do you spin your hydrometer and let it settle a bit before taking the reading?

These are all the things i'd check before going much further...

Nath

Back