Slotted Manifold Or Braided Hose ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad,
Mine is 5/8 and works well. I reckon the 1" would be awesome but might take up too much volume in the MT? Not sure on the efficiency side of things which is better? I think I have some 5/8 pipe and elbows left their yours if ya want 'em?

Chappo

BTW I have this really flash chrome thermometer... makes me rig look real flashy :p

OI Chappo,

While OT...

How did you 'crimp' the joins? Is that what the centre punch is for? OR have you soldiered now?

I am off to buy my materials Satdee.... PM if better.

I am dealing with this 100L beast:

PM100SQlightblueangle.jpg

Smashin, can you post a PIC please?
:icon_cheers:

...Got me one of them flashy 3" thermometers Chappo. Certainly make my rig look flash, I almost look like I know what Iam doing. :D

Cheers
Gavo.

3" dial! :eek: As flash as rat with a gold tooth mate! I'll be seein' it in the flesh at NickB's brew day mate. Looking forward to havin' a few coldies with ya! :party:

Chappo

Thanks for the offer there uncle Chap Chap but because my mash tun is a 50L ss type I am thinking to go for a 5/8 and make it into a ring type. I am thinking a bung at the end of a 3m roll and curl it up to one outlet at base of tun, copper tube should cover the bottom of tun well. And as for the chrome fermometer well I too now have a flashy 3" MM so you can use my old one to test your body temp rectally for all I care. :lol: No actually please dont do that I would like it back at some point :D

Cheers Brad

102_4390.JPG

OI Chappo,

While OT...

How did you 'crimp' the joins? Is that what the centre punch is for? OR have you soldiered now?

I am off to buy my materials Satdee.... PM if better.

I am dealing with this 100L beast:

View attachment 26895

Smashin, can you post a PIC please?

Now that's what ya call a mush tun Cocko. You farkin' legend!

I braized the "T" section that leads to the rest of the manafold and then punched one side only of each of the elbows and "T" sections in the middle. Just a short sharp blow is all that's needed to lock the sectionsinto place. I will see if I can dredge up a photo for ya mate.

Chappo

...you can use my old one to test your body temp rectally for all I care....

Too late Brad! :rolleyes: I gets awefully boring here at night at Chappo Manor and you know one thing kinda leads to another...

Nice Bling there Brother! Can't wait to see it in action!

Chappo

Now that's what ya call a mush tun Cocko. You farkin' legend!

I braized the "T" section that leads to the rest of the manafold and then punched one side only of each of the elbows and "T" sections in the middle. Just a short sharp blow is all that's needed to lock the sectionsinto place. I will see if I can dredge up a photo for ya mate.

Chappo

Cheers mate, Legend!!

Yep, very happy with the Eski!

Just tossing up between a 120L OR 146L Kettle ATM - Rig will be quite the beast me thinks! 80-110L pulled out at a time!

Any pics will be good! Cheers

Do you reckon I could 'Multi punch' around the joins and avoid the soldiering?

Not that soldering is an issue I just don't like the thought of more 'metals' than needed in my mash.

Cheers again.

Sorry OP for OT!

You might as well silver solder your manifold right away & be done with it Cocko. Those little crimps with a centre punch don't last all that long, especially if you're taking the manifold out to clean all the time. Sorry to tell you this Chappo. :(

TP

You might as well silver solder your manifold right away & be done with it Cocko. Those little crimps with a centre punch don't last all that long, especially if you're taking the manifold out to clean all the time. Sorry to tell you this Chappo. :(

TP

Your right TP they do work loose a bit over time. I just worry about how much crap gets in there and comes out every time I give it a once over. For my money I would go a BeerBelly SS falsie.

Chappo

Cheers TP,

It make me think about a braided then.. IF done right , maybe with a copper slot cut inside the braid..

Sorry OP!

AND thanks!

:p

Even in a bigger tun like 100L? What about he Palmer facts? - HE HAS GRAPHS!!

Run two in the tun side by side. Expensive yes but it would do a hell of a job. Cocko keep us informed on how this goes mate because I have been seriously thinking about going this way myself. I reckon it's the ducks guts as far as tuns go.

Chappo

Rather than starting a new thread and I have well Hijacked this one anyway :(

This is my plan for my copper manifold, any thoughts on whether I should put a 'cross' pipe across the centre too?

Copper_Mani.jpg

Cheers

Cocko (the pirate thread jacker),
That looks the goods mate. :wub:

I would leave it as it. If you put another member across the middle your probably just going to build in another point for failure. I put one in the middle but I only have two reaches where you have four. Should drain like a canal lock.

Chappo

:super:

Then it shall be!

Cheers Chappo. I will keep you updated on the progress...

EDIT: One more thing, should I slot the ends or just the 4 reaches?

Rather than starting a new thread and I have well Hijacked this one anyway :(

This is my plan for my copper manifold, any thoughts on whether I should put a 'cross' pipe across the centre too?

View attachment 26920

Cheers

Just the way it should be Cocko. You've been reading "How to Brew" haven't you? ;)

TP

Edit --- Just saw your post Cocko. Don't worry about slotting the ends. It's great the way it is.

:super:

Then it shall be!

Cheers Chappo. I will keep you updated on the progress...

EDIT: One more thing, should I slot the ends or just the 4 reaches?

Well I did the ends as well because I a gready bugger, can't see it hurting?

Cocko, that's zackery how I would have done mine but I did'nt want to drill in the end of my esky for the drain. The shape of the outside of my esky would have made it difficult anyway. Slots on the longitudals will be all that is needed according to John Palmer. Should work great.

CHeers
Gavo.

Latest posts

Back