Slotted Manifold Or Braided Hose ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, Chap chap, TP and Gavo!

Today I did this:

DSC01857.JPG

DSC01858.JPG

Hacksaw is currently in full affect!

Cant imagine Pete being too silent about it either Chap Chap. :huh:

Yep, I bought a tiny shitty vice from Bunnings, $5, and it keeps coming out of whatever I screw it into.. pissing me off!

I am gonna visit the old man later today and use his vice to knock over the other 2...

Oh, and I am a little hung and lazy!

lookin the business cocko

dunno why you don keep using the shitty vice, no project would be complete without lots of swearing and skun knuckles :D

Cocko,

Having purchased a 50l version of the Big Chilli, (Check website for specials)...I've been wondering about how to attach my braid/slotted manifold (undecided) on the inside.

What are you planning?

Growler

Cocko,

Having purchased a 50l version of the Big Chilli, (Check website for specials)...I've been wondering about how to attach my braid/slotted manifold (undecided) on the inside.

What are you planning?

Growler

Hey Growler,

I was originally planning on fitting the tap through the bung hole and then hard piping it to the manifold... then realised, once receiving the eski that the bung hole is bigger than my head and will be a pain to screw around with.. I am sure it could be done but I will drill a new hole and fit a standard weldless tap style bulkhead set-up and either connect to manifold with a small copper pipe fitting, flared and screwed on OR maybe a small piece of re-enforced 'suction' hose...

Not much info sorry, but I will post a pic for ya when it is done for more of an idea for ya!

Cheers

If its the same thread as the eskys we got it can be done on the orig bunghole. I think the boys just got irrigation stuff that screwed straight into the big one with thread on the inside then screwed the tap into that. sort of a reducer arrangment - irrigation isle at bunnings i think. Ask troy (hairofthedog) he did his...i just drilled a hole cause my bung wasnt in the centre.

All,

The bung is std 1in thread ,so, outside fittings...reducer/tap etc are no problems.

Inside... a cutaway of the bung fitting is required... again, no problems, but the outside fittings (either brass or black nylon) don't have thread that goes all the way through so as to thread the reducer and olive on to. Hard to put in writing???

I've spent several times in Bunn@#$!gs trying to wrap my head around the problem with no answer yet... hence my Question to Cocko.

Growler :(

I love the copper manifolds B) , I made up two of these in the past and never had a problem, one for a 40 litre mash tun and one for a 60 litre using John Plamers specs. I soldered the end cross tubes and elbow, T joints, the main tubes just slot straight in and can be taken out for easy cleaning.
Cutting the slots with just a hacksaw is the most boring part :angry: :angry: .
I soldered a brass washer on to 1/2 inch brass thread rod as a bulkhead type fitting, a compression nut keeps the copper maniflold firmly in place. In conjunction with a couple of large steel and rubber washers on both sides (inside/outside) of a esky/ice box and a brass nut on the outside, the ball valve tap worked a treat and no leaks :lol: .
Cheers,
Al

All,

The bung is std 1in thread ,so, outside fittings...reducer/tap etc are no problems.

Inside... a cutaway of the bung fitting is required... again, no problems, but the outside fittings (either brass or black nylon) don't have thread that goes all the way through so as to thread the reducer and olive on to. Hard to put in writing???

I've spent several times in Bunn@#$!gs trying to wrap my head around the problem with no answer yet... hence my Question to Cocko.

Growler :(

I will get it sorted for us - Obviously it is easy to tap a tap into the 1inch hole via adapter/step downs, but getting something to go back into the tun to connect the manifold is the trick... Or vice versa depending on which side you start..

Ultimately it would be a 1 inch bung with a 1/2 thread through the centre, a simple step down of thread size, and then run a half inch shank through the centre and have thread out either side, inside and out!

I am off to bunnings tomorrow growler so will let you know if I find an answer!

Cheers!

My solution

1. Drill out the back of the bung fitting and clean up with dremel, be careful not to damage the nylon thread.

2. Screw in 1in to 3/4 reducer from the outside.

3. A couple of layers of pink plumbers tape on the 1/2 male to female brass nipple make it a very snug fit inside the reducer when pushed in from the inside!. The thread on the reducer only goes half way through.

4. I might replace the 3/4 to 1/2 in nipple with brass.

Now , braid or manifold...hmmmm ....or perhaps Beerbelly bling...hmmmm ....stainless

Growler

Tap_fit.jpg

Back