Skunk Fart Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Tony, I couldn't help myself.

I think NB is the wrong hop completely to be bittering an APA. You need a clean bittering hop like Warrior if you are thinking of a combo's that you have listed. Alternatively, bitter with Centennial if you want to flavour with combo's of Cascade and Amarillo, but drop the Willamette. IMO I think Centennial is a Cascade on steroids, but too much can give the grapefruit taste so treat carefully. I don't think you need any chocolate at all as the Munich will give enough colour with the boil.

I think a good APA (or AIPA) needs to be kept fairly simple to let a nice sharp bitterness at 60min, with loads of flavour from 20min and under with no more than 2 combinations of hops which compliment each other.

Ask 10 brewers....I think NB works really well in an APA for bittering. An APA of mine bittered with NB won the pale ale category at Bathurst last year. On the other hand, I'm over amarillo in APAs, I love amarillo on its own, I dont like it mixed with cascade, and I really dont like it mixed with the big Cs like chinook. The fruitiness of the amarillo tends to clash with the citrus bite of chinook etc. In my opinion.

mmmmmm

You see this is the problem i have had before..... the hops just dont seem to work.

Maybe when i have more stocks to keem me going i will risk 50 plus liters of bad beer.

thanks all.

cheers

Don't give up, Tony. If you have enough, why not do a single hop APA with just Amarillo. Drop the chocolate, but otherwise the grain bill will be fine IMO.

Tony

I would simplify your recipe. With that many malts and hops / additions, you are not really going to notice exactly what each of them has done to the flavours, especially as you going for a hop driven beer.

I would drop the choc, acidulated and munich. On the hops, use 1 for bittering, 1 for flavour and 1 for aroma.

Cheers
Pedro

I'am with the lurker and think NB makes a awesome bittering hop for APA! I'am also with pedro and the keep it simple approach.

If you get a chance you have to find a fresh emersons APA for what I'd call one of the very best comercial examples of the style. :chug:

Boozed broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

I'am with the lurker and think NB makes a awesome bittering hop for APA! I'am also with pedro and the keep it simple approach.

If you get a chance you have to find a fresh emersons APA for what I'd call one of the very best comercial examples of the style. :chug:

Boozed broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Agree.
Im not a wild APA fan and I'm still working to perfect the style for my taste but one thing I know I do like is some NB for bittering. A recent one that got me close to what I want was about 50/50 NB and Simcoe.
Keep the rest of it simple to start with and work it from there.

ok

I will drop the choc, and the willamette and stick with NB bittering and cascade and amarillo at the end.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

cheers folks

Stinky Yank Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 54.00 Wort Size (L): 54.00
Total Grain (kg): 12.50
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.38
Anticipated EBC: 15.6
Anticipated IBU: 39.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
56.0 7.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 3
32.0 4.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
5.6 0.70 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
4.8 0.60 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 100
1.6 0.20 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 1.035 5

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 9.50 15.8 First WH
30.00 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 9.50 11.1 30 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 4.6 10 min.
30.00 g. cascade (new) Pellet 5.90 3.2 10 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 2.5 5 min.
30.00 g. cascade (new) Pellet 5.90 1.8 5 min.
30.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 0.0 0 min.
30.00 g. cascade (new) Pellet 5.90 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.10 Oz Irish Moss Fining 5 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

US56

Had a good brew day on Saturday doing the Skunk Fart APA. Thanks to Trough Lolly cracking my grain at the last minute!

2 kg JWM Weyermann Pilsner
1.75kg Golden Promise Ale
1 kg Torrified wheat
22 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.5 AA%, 60 mins)
20 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.5 AA%, 15 mins)
20 g Cascade at flameout

Half a tab of whirlfloc at 15 mins

SO4 ale yeast

Mashed at 65 degrees for 60 mins
Boiled for 60 mins

Smells beautiful!
Cheers
Steve

SO4 ale yeast

Did you use the S04 on purpose instead of US56? I'd be interested to see how it turns out with that yeast...

yeah - i normally use us56 but havent been getting many bright/clear beers lately. I recently used SO4 in a kolsch (as my wyeast starter didnt start) and it is bloody crystal. Its the first brew ive done that you can actually see the tap inside through the 23 litres of wort.....so I thought i'd give it a go?
Cheers
Steve

Looks like a nice drinker of a recipe and I would be interested in hearing and even tasting what that much torrified wheat is like in it.

If you could be so kind steve could you just go back and edit your post and add the OG and IBU. Cheers.

Boozed broozed and broken boned
Jayse

Looks like a nice drinker of a recipe and I would be interested in hearing and even tasting what that much torrified wheat is like in it.

If you could be so kind steve could you just go back and edit your post and add the OG and IBU. Cheers.

Boozed broozed and broken boned
Jayse

hmmmmm after reading a lot today about torrified wheat Im kind of wishing I used normal wheat! I was led to believe torrified is a reasonable substitute for normal wheat malt hence the reason for using it, plus I didnt have any wheat malt in me cupboard. Unfortunately I cant tell you the OG - I clean forgot (had to many beers and needed to sit down after cleaning up) :party: Also I cant tell you the IBU as I dont have brewing software at home - i just use recipes from the recipe section and tweak them a little....as I did with yours Jayse. Im sure it'll be a nice quaffer. Smelt beautiful from the airlock this morning too.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Any ideas what 1kg of torrified wheat may do to it?

SO4 ale yeast

Did you use the S04 on purpose instead of US56? I'd be interested to see how it turns out with that yeast...

DJR, I did a Skunk Fart version recently and used SO4 as I hadn't found any US56 locally. It was a fantastic beer and came out beautifully fermented at 18C, I was really impressed with the beer and with SO4. I haven't used dry yeast for a long time and my old efforts with SO4 weren't impressive (but likely a lot of facotrs in play there, it really was a long time ago) -but this batch is beautiful.

I just did a cream ale with US56 which is superb and also did a Belgian Wit with T-58 which I am also quite impressed with but the beer is closer to a hefe I think, plenty of banana notes and spicy but I can't find the corriander so it could have done with a little more. Still a good beer though and cloudy as hell :p . I don't expect it to clear much at all (obviously it doesn't have to and likely wont), lots of wheat, wheat flour, no chill (it worked but I don't think I'll do it again) and I don't think T-58 is a great flocculator. You damn skippy it's cloudy.

My eyes have been opened to dry yeasts again, but in answer to your question regarding SO4 in an APA I would highly recommend it especially if you can't get US56. I would have no qualms brewing it again with SO4.

Cheers, Justin

snipped>

Torrified wheat is a common cereal adjunct for pale ale but not ussually in quite that amount more like 5-10% which would be average somewhere around 300g in that recipe.

The flavour will be closer to raw wheat than it is to malted wheat. One thing I'am sure it will add/aid is huge foam formation and retention. It should still come out a ripper of a session drinker i'am completely sure.

As to the exact flavours you'd get from in used in this amount i'am not really 100% sure other than to say i would expect/guessing it to be reasonbly similiar to raw wheat.

Jayse

snipped>

Torrified wheat is a common cereal adjunct for pale ale but not ussually in quite that amount more like 5-10% which would be average somewhere around 300g in that recipe.

The flavour will be closer to raw wheat than it is to malted wheat. One thing I'am sure it will add/aid is huge foam formation and retention. It should still come out a ripper of a session drinker i'am completely sure.

As to the exact flavours you'd get from in used in this amount i'am not really 100% sure other than to say i would expect/guessing it to be reasonbly similiar to raw wheat.

Jayse

OK cool - thanks for that - it'll be interesting. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Steve

Had a couple of samples, well actually more than a couple of this last night. I honestly cant tell any difference by using 1kg of the torrified wheat. Its my first AG APA so I only have the Grumpys Boston Cream and the ESB APAs to judge it by. Its very nice. The head is good, nice and white, not too big. Unfortunately its packed with chill haze. It was crystal in the fermenter and when bottling. The beer is very pale. Its definately a good quaffer. I think I would up the hops a touch more....
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Cant tell any difference by using SO4 rather than my usual US56.

P.S. Cant tell any difference by using SO4 rather than my usual US56.

Hey Steve
I agree. I recently used S04 for an APA as it was the only yeast I had on hand at the time. Its currently on tap and going down very nicely! No noticable difference in FG or taste from previous APAs. With such a hop dominated beer subtle yeast characteristics are going to be subthreshold.
cheers
HStB

Back