Single Post Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muscovy_333

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have scored a single post corny keg (I.e. it has one in/out attachment).

I am in the process of setting up for kegging and was just wondering if this keg is worth keeping?

Does anyone else run this type of keg and if so how did you set it up?

thanks a million

Musc

How big is it? I've got a tiny (3-4L) keg with one usable post (it has a weird valve-less connection on the lid, but i've just put a blank normal lid on it instead).

I can gas it up (with the force-carb liquid disconnect), then attach a tap, and pour about half of it without having to switch back. This isn't too bad a situation - but if yours is a full size 19L keg, i'm guessing you'd get sick of switching back and forward pretty quick

with ball lock and pin lock fittings .. the two posts (in and out) and the two fittings are different and not interchangeable.

Do it have some sort of universal post? or do you have to use a gas connector as a liquid connector or vice versa?

if you have a flow controller on your tap it could work (i gas up and then open up my taps as the keg pressures drop) ... but i think you would have balance problems for "non-flow-controllable" taps.

is a Asahi keg ??, so it looks like a commerical type post. If so you would have buy the appropriate type coupling and that might make it more touble than it's worth unless you can get more..

think we need a photo :)

I remember seeing cornies with commercial couplers on them, so I assume that's the type, then the link above is the connection you require. I use the "normal" cornies so can't comment.

think we need a photo :)

I remember seeing cornies with commercial couplers on them, so I assume that's the type, then the link above is the connection you require. I use the "normal" cornies so can't comment.

Pics attached.
It is 19 litres.

DSC03466__800x600_.jpg

DSC03467__800x600____Copy.jpg

Looks like a standard ball lock post - does that mean you have to gas it up, then disconnect the gas, and then connect the beer line ... then when the pressure drops too low for a decent pour do it again?

Does it open up anywhere... if not, then I imagine that you are going to need another tube for fermenter to keg post and open the pressure valve so you can decant the beer into it.

with ball lock and pin lock fittings .. the two posts (in and out) and the two fittings are different and not interchangeable.

Do it have some sort of universal post? or do you have to use a gas connector as a liquid connector or vice versa?

if you have a flow controller on your tap it could work (i gas up and then open up my taps as the keg pressures drop) ... but i think you would have balance problems for "non-flow-controllable" taps.

I got this keg as one of 3. The other two have the usual in/out posts and should be easy enough to manage.

The bloke i picked them up off said it was no worries, just charge it up, pour off, charge up....etc.

Now that i have a little better understanding it does not sound that appealing!

I expect a coupling would be the answer but I am not that savvy with the whole keg and kaboodling yet.

Looks like it had a commercial fitting on it originally and has been modified to the way it is now. Just a guess

Looks like a standard ball lock post - does that mean you have to gas it up, then disconnect the gas, and then connect the beer line ... then when the pressure drops too low for a decent pour do it again?

Does it open up anywhere... if not, then I imagine that you are going to need another tube for fermenter to keg post and open the pressure valve so you can decant the beer into it.

Really easy to open up. Just take to the base of the post with a shifter, wont be a problem to fill with my brew funnel. But the charge/pour bit...not too sure.
I was hoping i could adapt or purchase the post to add in a gas line.

This post has a pickup to the bottom of the keg.

I have not had a chance tp play with attachments yet so dont know if it is a unique universal set-up.

Could you set up a gas line in the socket that PRV is in? Or get another post in on that flat sections on top? Wierd looking keg.

Cheers

Thnking I am going to have to get creative with this one.
By the sounds of it I have scored some sort of keg mutant!
I was really hoping someone would say....."Oh that old set-up, they are the best kegs ever." "It's just a matter of...."

Oh well

Do many people modify, or drill/weld/add fiitings to kegs?

I'm thinking i could add a "gas in" post to this keg without too much difficulty.
(Well, actually i have an uncle who is pretty handy with ss welding so he may be able to help??)

If anybody has any grande design ideas to get this keg up and running, I'd love to hear them.

ta

Musc

DSC03467__800x600____Copy.jpg

DSC03466__800x600_.jpg

Get rid of it, not worth the hassle.

how would you scrub the inside?

What if you put a shut-off valve from the gas to a "tee" in the beer line? Shut off the gas when dispensing.

Show your uncle that keg and a corney and see if he can convert it to a standard corney. Making a lid hole looks possible, but really hard. If that works...The fluid tube could be moved pretty easy to one of those little flat spots.Then add a gas connector to that other little flat spot

First...I would put a magnet on it to see if it indeed was stainless. Then remove the dip tube and post, then use a jig-saw (small saber saw) to cut the oval opening. Cut a little smaller (2-3mm) than required to fit a corney lid both width and length-wise. Then use a rotary grinder to clean up the hole and get it to precise size. If it's aluminum don't use a grinder. Use a wide half round file.

DSC03466__800x600_.jpg

What if you put a shut-off valve from the gas to a "tee" in the beer line? Shut off the gas when dispensing.

Show your uncle that keg and a corney and see if he can convert it to a standard corney. Making a lid hole looks possible, but really hard. If that works...The fluid tube could be moved pretty easy to one of those little flat spots.Then add a gas connector to that other little flat spot

First...I would put a magnet on it to see if it indeed was stainless. Then remove the dip tube and post, then use a jig-saw (small saber saw) to cut the oval opening. Cut a little smaller (2-3mm) than required to fit a corney lid both width and length-wise. Then use a rotary grinder to clean up the hole and get it to precise size. If it's aluminum don't use a grinder. Use a wide half round file.

Are there any markings? model, number, manufacture...etc...

Thankyou,

I do have a "normal" corny to show my uncle. I was thinking along the same lines as yourself. If i screw it up it boils down to a learning experience...

I have not seen any ID on it, but will have a really good look at it tonight to suss out my options.

I will be able to use it for something..just haven't dreamed up exactly what yet.

I will post pics of the outcome in due course, hopefully it will be epic!

They are common enough, used as washout kegs in the old days of speared kegs, before the modern coupler types.
There should be an 1 or BSP thread under the post that someone has stuck in there. Into that goes a Tee that has the Gas post off one side and a sliding spear.
I think I have a couple on the stack out the back and maybe even a couple of the connectors to somewhere.
Generally regarded as useless these days, sorry.
Mark

Latest posts

Back