Single Post Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 51062
Wasnt all that buried,
Yours for the cost of postage, Im sure I have a spear somewhere; you will need two X Bushes and posts to suit.
Send me an email if you want it not a PM
Mark

You learn something new every day!

If cleaning is a major concern (it would be for me!) - I would be leaning towards dedicating this keg as a sanitiser keg.

Keep it next to the fridge and use it for flushing your taps as required to help keep them clean.

Great pic there MHB.

What Raven said or even convert it to a fermenter.

You learn something new every day!

If cleaning is a major concern (it would be for me!) - I would be leaning towards dedicating this keg as a sanitiser keg.

Keep it next to the fridge and use it for flushing your taps as required to help keep them clean.

Great pic there MHB.

Sanitising Keg, Definitely Plan B...thankyou.

It would make for a fairly novel fermenter as well.

I knew I'd get a few good ideas!

They are common enough, used as washout kegs in the old days of speared kegs, before the modern coupler types.
There should be an 1" or " BSP thread under the post that someone has stuck in there. Into that goes a Tee that has the Gas post off one side and a sliding spear.
I think I have a couple on the stack out the back and maybe even a couple of the connectors to somewhere.
Generally regarded as useless these days, sorry.
Mark

What are these kegs called or referred to as?

Got some details off the single post keg tonight.

It is an 18litre Firestone type manufactured by Mytton Rodd Ltd in Melbourne Aust.

It is almost identical to a 20 litre corny that i have that used to be the property of a soft drink manufacturer. When you look at the top (see picture) it has the exact same shape as the corny.
It looks like it could be a relatively straight forward conversion but probably not worth the hassle.

Regardless, i will tinker.

The single post fits a liquid inlet ball lock connection only.

Perhaps fill it with glycol and use it as a post-boil chilling device with a coil of copper inside it. Just a thought.

cheers

tnd

Email sent, thanks for your generosity and expertise Mark.

Mark,

You are an absolute legend!
Recieved your post pack yesterday

For anyone else who was keen to see how this keg works i have added pics.

The low post is "gas in" the high post is "beer out".

I need to get a couple of extra fittings to get it running but i think it will work.

Massive thanks to Mark for enabling an otherwise near useless keg a second lease of life. I kind of like its quirkiness.

Merry Christmas all.

Musc

keg1__800x600_.jpg

keg2__800x600_.jpg

Back