Silverside time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Got myself a nice slab of corned beef sitting in the crock pot. Going to go well with some white sauce :icon_drool2:

Corned beeef
Malt vinegar
Onion cut in halfs
Black peppercorns
Cloves
Bayleaves
Thyme
Sugar

corned beef.jpg

Nice one. I bloody love corned beef. Havnt had it in years. Enjoy Stu. [emoji106]

Love a nice corned beef. Our butcher cures his own. Beautiful.

Same recipe I use to boil, a mate told me to slow cook it just last week. Will pick one up this weekend to try this! Enjoy

Moad said:
Same recipe I use to boil, a mate told me to slow cook it just last week. Will pick one up this weekend to try this! Enjoy
I read that as "...mate told me to slow cook it for a week" and thought - that's a bit of overkill. Reminds me of my late father's (a butcher) advice to his customers about putting a stone in with it...

Former lady friend used to cut the corners off the piece of silverside - I asked her why she did that - more even heat penetration or something?

She did it because that was the way her mother used to cook it. Out of interest she asked her aged mother why.

Apparently they were very poor during the 1950s and it was the only way she could get the beef to fit into the only larger sized cooking pot she had.

Got home and the house smelt fantastic, the smell of the vinegar, herbs and spices form the crock pot filled the house

Could not help myself and pulled it out and cut the end off, then put it back in the pot to cool slowly

Fark me, couldnt even cut it it was that soft. Feel away from my fork

Was nice and peppery with the spices in the back ground. Would go fantastic with a dark port or stout or this bottle of Cab Sav :ph34r:

2016-05-14 17.49.12.jpg
2016-05-14 17.59.02.jpg
2016-05-14 17.59.59.jpg

luv a nice piece of corn dog, boiled spuds, cabbage, white sauce and fresh pepper

GABBA110360 said:
the old corned dog eh!
looks nice I like pickled pork probably more !
Last year I was buying hands of pickled pork for about $9kg

Used to bake it slowly...... :icon_drool2:

Actually..... I am kicking myself. That piece would have been PERFECT for making jerky. Very little fat through the meat with just a thin layer on the outside

Anyway...next time :)

Nice.
Made one recently when my partner's aunt visited the apple island- similar recipe, turned out well. Similar recipe to above. No white sauce - was part of a ploughman's lunch with various mustards and I have very bad memories of my mum's white sauce which was very similar to clag but less nice.

Just grabbed mine from coles but very interested in curing my own.

Got plans for various cured meats this winter so I might add this in to the mix.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Got myself a nice slab of corned beef sitting in the crock pot. Going to go well with some white sauce :icon_drool2:

Corned beeef
Malt vinegar
Onion cut in halfs
Black peppercorns
Cloves
Bayleaves
Thyme
Sugar

attachicon.gif
corned beef.jpg
Night #2...corned beef fritters.

manticle said:
\was part of a ploughman's lunch with various mustards
Stop it....Stop it now

I am thinking whole grain mustard and toasted slabs of sourdough......and silverside

Latest posts

Back