Silverside time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time the Keen's mustard powder comes out in my house is for silverside. Great big dollops of it that brings tears to the eyes and makes my nose feel like I just spent a weekend with Keith Richards.
The next morning cold, thin slices of the leftovers on toast with thick butter and dijon. Yummo.

Moad said:
Can you smoke corned beef?
I have made shit loads of jerky from corned beef, and smoked it

The answer to your question is not can you smoke it, but when are you going to smoke it

Easy pastrami is skinned sllverside rolled in chilli. pepper & spices and slow smoked. :icon_drool2:

You know you want to. :D

I absolutely love corned beef too. It would be the main course on my last meal......Tassie muscles in tomato sauce would kick off. Chocolate self saucing pudding to finish.

I cook mine with same recipe, but use brown sugar and some balsamic vinegar sometimes. Corned beef is wonderful out of the pressure cooker. Cook it up, release the pressure and toss in a dozen small potatoes in their jackets.

Traditional white sauce of course (i grate a little nutmeg in my white sauce also).

My local has the corned beef all vacuum sealed ready to sous vide.
10 hours at 70c does the trick. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463223324.013847.jpg

AJS2154 said:
..Tassie muscles in tomato sauce would kick off. Chocolate self saucing pudding to finish.
Muscels steamed in white wine then a good tomato sauce* to mix it thru at the end done in wok

* fresh toms cut chunky and herbs

Mardoo said:
chuck a bit of bacon in with the tomato sauce and be sure to steam them in dry riesling...unreal...
I know bacon goes with everything, but sometimes you dont need it

Muscles, steamed in a good white wine

Fresh ripe tomato's diced, some olive oil, bit of tomato paste

Fresh basil, oregano, diced onion/shallots

Throw all that in when the muscles have started to open

You know the rest

The rest is history

I realised after my post the spelling of mussels was incorrect. I hoped it would go unnoticed. Alas......no.

Happy Sunday. I am making a kolsch today. Love brew days.

What about Corned Beef Hash in the oven with a few eggs.

manticle said:
Mussels
Muscles
Apostrophes
Thankyou !

My inner pedant cries every time I read this thread. I don't even like ******* mussels !

Danwood said:
I don't even like ******* mussels !
They can come in handy for opening stubborn jars of muscles though.

My mum used to slice the leftover silverside nice and thin, dip it in a pancake typed batter with cracked black pepper and fry it in butter and lard until crispy and golden.

Bit of salt or tomato sauce...

Holy shit balls, Batman.

I am so going to try that :)

Unfortuantly mine is that tender that it breaks up as soon as you cut it so you cant really do thin slices

Yeah, I used to really look forward to it the next day for breakfast.

What if you cut it with the grain?

jyo said:
Yeah, I used to really look forward to it the next day for breakfast.

What if you cut it with the grain?
It'd probably gum up the rollers.

Back