Silverside time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
I have made shit loads of jerky from corned beef, and smoked it
I went to unsalted silverside (fresh from the butcher) for my jerky for a while, but for some reason everyone charges more for it, so I've gone back to normal corned silverside and I just soak it for a few hours to draw out a little of the salt (I'm trying to lower my salt intake and make my jerky as healthy as possible)
Makes the best jerky imho, most other people I know who've made it rave on about using topside and other cuts, but then they try my jerky and rave on about how good it is
Plus it has the bonus of being a bit more chewy, like biltong, not super dry and crumbly like some expensive jerkies made from premium cuts out there are

Yep.

If you dont use salt in the marinate ( almost impossible I know ) then it will draw some out of the meat

I just slightly freeze a lump of silverside and slice it into 4-5mm slabs, then marinate for as long as possible and dry rub them before drying/smoking

I used to par-freeze mine, but I have a small deli slicer now, so I just use that

i do mine sous vide at 64 for 48hrs. i just put a little brown sugar, a couple of bay leaves and some garlic granules.
i can slice mine as thin as i like after its cooled.

And the leftovers.
Baked veg gets mashed, beef chopped and mixed with leftover veggies,
Mash roast veg on top with some cheese.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463292079.666407.jpg corned beef pot pies.

jyo said:
My mum used to slice the leftover silverside nice and thin, dip it in a pancake typed batter with cracked black pepper and fry it in butter and lard until crispy and golden.

Bit of salt or tomato sauce...

Holy shit balls, Batman.
Was your mother from England jyo? That sounds very English......and alarmingly appetising.

My mother used to make what she called apple fritters. That was granny smith apples cored and chopped into small pieces crossways, then dipped into a sweet batter. They were then cooked slowly on a hotplate with butter. They were then served with sugar sprinkled on them. I still make them occasionally. Old favourite.

AJS2154 said:
My mother used to make what she called apple fritters. That was granny smith apples cored and chopped into small pieces crossways, then dipped into a sweet batter. They were then cooked slowly on a hotplate with butter. They were then served with sugar sprinkled on them. I still make them occasionally. Old favourite.
Same here. Very tasty.

Thats intesting Galbrew. Its funny.....hard to imagine other families eating what is considered your own, personal secret recipe.

I still love them mate. I have even modified the recipe for gluten free cooking. Our daughter is coeliac and we had to modify our old favourites.

AJS2154 said:
Thats intesting Galbrew. Its funny.....hard to imagine other families eating what is considered your own, personal secret recipe.

I still love them mate. I have even modified the recipe for gluten free cooking. Our daughter is coeliac and we had to modify our old favourites.
It's funny I haven't had them for years, but your post brought it all right back. I used to love them when I was a kid. Might have to whip up a batch myself!

AJS2154 said:
Was your mother from England jyo? That sounds very English......and alarmingly appetising.

She was born here, but my Nan was born in England and she passed down some old school artery cloggers like this recipe. Loved those silverside fritters :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Where would we be without a good artery clogger now and then. I know the Australian version would substitute the silverside for devon.....now there is a quality food. Devon!

sp0rk said:
I went to unsalted silverside (fresh from the butcher) for my jerky for a while, but for some reason everyone charges more for it, so I've gone back to normal corned silverside and I just soak it for a few hours to draw out a little of the salt (I'm trying to lower my salt intake and make my jerky as healthy as possible)
Makes the best jerky imho, most other people I know who've made it rave on about using topside and other cuts, but then they try my jerky and rave on about how good it is
Plus it has the bonus of being a bit more chewy, like biltong, not super dry and crumbly like some expensive jerkies made from premium cuts out there are
Spork has hit on the right solution......Rehydrate

Coalminer said:
Spork has hit on the right solution......Rehydrate
Before I dry it :p

Though, I worked with a guy at Telstra who did a bit of long distance hiking & trekking.
He got me to make him a big batch of jerky before one of his trips, he was boiling up the jerky with noodles, dried peas & beans to make some type of noodle soup
I'm thinking I might actually give that a go some time on motorbiking trips

That was on cut throat kitchen epidsode with turkey jerky that it could be put in pressure cooker to rehydrate quickly.

sp0rk said:
Though, I worked with a guy at Telstra who did a bit of long distance hiking & trekking.
You worked at Telstra? Streuth! I was with them for 23 years and I don't remember doing anything like that! :p

Back