Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA extract version?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If using malt extract i would be tempted to add some dextrose to get your attenuation a bit better. Typically extract doesnt attenuate quite as well as fresh grain for some reason.

I would look at 93% LME, 5% Crystal 2% dex and stick to the hopping schedule in the recipe. Maybe steep a kg of base grain for an hour (ie mash it) in place of some of the extract to get some more grain flavour and increase attenuation.

Droopy Brew said:
If using malt extract i would be tempted to add some dextrose to get your attenuation a bit better. Typically extract doesnt attenuate quite as well as fresh grain for some reason.

I would look at 93% LME, 5% Crystal 2% dex and stick to the hopping schedule in the recipe. Maybe steep a kg of base grain for an hour (ie mash it) in place of some of the extract to get some more grain flavour and increase attenuation.
Thank you Droopy.

I was looking to keep anywhere from1 to 1.5 kilo of total grain.

Will do some conversions tonight when I am home.

Cheers,

PhilB

Although i have not done a recipe for this exact beer i have done one for the Green Flash IPA. (Link will be at the end.)
I had a can of the Torpedo the other day and ill say it's pretty darn close and a great brew showcasing East Coast hops.
Definitely recommend doing it any way.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/green-flash-west-coast-ipa/

I have done it with liquid or dry malt and just 200g of crystal and added some dextrose as mentioned in the above replies. Cracker drop. Done it 4 times and still goes down a treat.

Im defiantly following this thread. Love the sierra nevada ales ive tried

From BYO:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA clone

(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.070 FG = 1.018 IBU = 70 SRM = 12 ABV = 7.2%

Ingredients

1 lb. 5 oz. (0.6 kg) pale malt
11 oz. (0.31 kg) caramel malt (60 °L)
5.0 lbs. (2.3 kg) light dried malt extract
2 lb. 6 oz. (1.1 kg) light liquid malt extract (late addition)
17 AAU Magnum hops (60 mins)(1.2 oz./34 g of 14% alpha acids)
1.0 oz (28 g) Magnum hops (5 mins)
1.0 oz. (28 g) Crystal hops (5 mins)
0.67 oz. (19 g) Magnum hops (dry hop)
0.67 oz. (19 g) Crystal hops (dry hop)
0.67 oz. (19 g) Citra hops (dry hop)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale), White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or Fermentis US-05 yeast
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step

To get the proper amount of hop bitterness, you must be able to boil 4.0 gallons (15 L) of wort. Steep grains in 3 qts. (~3 L) of water at 152 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Add water to make 4.0 gallons (15 L), stir in dried malt extract and bring to a boil. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at time indicated. Add boiling water if wort volume drops below 3.5 gallons (13 L). Add liquid malt extract for final 15 minutes of the boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Add cold water to make 5 gallons (19 L). Pitch yeast and ferment at 68 °F (20 °C). Dry hop for 10 days to 2 weeks or use a torpedo to add hop character.

Looks a good one. Quite enjoy the occasional Torpedo.

Good (or bad) news if that I am moving to all grain shortly. Have purchased a Robobrew unit and really look forward to opening up more possibilities playing with grains. Will do the occasional extract brew (there are some recipes I'll keep going back to because the beers are just delicious).

Cheers,
Pete

Gigantorus said:
Looks a good one. Quite enjoy the occasional Torpedo.

Good (or bad) news if that I am moving to all grain shortly. Have purchased a Robobrew unit and really look forward to opening up more possibilities playing with grains. Will do the occasional extract brew (there are some recipes I'll keep going back to because the beers are just delicious).

Cheers,
Pete
Fendercaster said:
Very nice. Im about to do the same except i will be an urn BIAB. All the best with it.
Cheers
Hi Pete and Fender,

I am headed the same way. I am going to use my turbo 500 boiler to boil and an esky mash tun.

The T500 can boil 27 litres comfortably. I loose 3 litres in a 60
Minute wash. Do I should be able to hit my target 23 litre ferment

I am considering using my 40 litre esky which has a 35 litre capacity after headspace so I should be able to do an all grain with view to get 26 litre wort for boil.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil. As far as i know that should be fine. I have heard people using al foil on top of the water for heat retention. But thats as far as i know sorry. I have been doing extract for the last 1.5yrs regularly. I was originally looking at getting something to do a double extract brew. For the price of the gear i was looking st. Urn was my bet. And now i am just going to go with grain with a few extract recipes for the ease.

Phil,

The 40L esky should work fine. I've never used this type of set-up myself, but have seen many youtube videos of others using this system, which works fine.

This is the reason why I liked the Robobrew unit - it has the malt pipe inside that holds the grain for mashing which can then be rested on top to drain then be taken out. The only aspect of the Robobrew I don't like is the immersion chiller to cool the wort - I don't like the idea of wasting tap water or having to collect the water. So I'll be transferring the wort to my old boiler pot and then putting it in the usual ice bath in the laundry sink.

I also bought the below book last year by Gordon Strong (USA), which has some great AG recipes in it - which will now come in handy with the Robobrew unit. The book also goes into some excellent detail about techniques at the beginning, which is very useful; info to me.

Cheers,

Pete

modern-hb-recipes-image.jpg

On Sunday I brewed the SN Torpedo extract recipe with a modified grain bill to be more like a BIAB effort using my turbo 500.

An STC1000 was wired into an extension lead with the probe at down the bottom end of the Turbo 500

I used a T500 temperature probe to measure the heat at the top of the T500

Pretty happy with the consistent temperatures. Albeit every time the STC100 kicked in I stirred the mash.

I used 15 litres of water to the 4.5 kilo of grain @ 65.6 degrees C for 75 minutes.

I then squeezed the bag and topped up to 22 litres and boiled for 60 minutes.

ended up with 18 litres at my SG 1.072

Still playing with efficiencies and water levels.

I think I really did a cross between a Partial mash and an grain and extract brew.

Here are the Picks.. think I am moving to All grain BIAB / mash Tun sooner than I thought.

IMG_5018.JPG

IMG_5019.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5021.JPG

IMG_5022.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

Latest posts

Back