Designing a Kilkenny Clone Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comment on your recipe.

Seems a lot of Roast Barley, could be because you have 591 EBC where as I use 1300 EBC. I'd check your value.

cheers

PhilipB said:
Bottled the brown beer.

I am on track to do this one on Thursday after Christmas
Phil,

How did the brown beer taste during bottling?

I've decided I'll do a grapefruit IPA as my first brew for 2017. Will use the juice of 8 ruby grapefruit at flameout. Should be a hoot.

Happy Xmas to all.

Cheers,
Pete

Brewed my Kilkenny clone today. Did a starter wort for the yeast yesterday.
Had to adjust my recipe for 23 litre start gravity on the recipe was 1048.

Took SG and it read 1048 IMG_4814.JPG

Was a bit concerned I had stuffed with my yeast starter. Hadn't made one before and it looked very quiet in the container.

This morning a nice froth on top and nicely bubbled glad wrap.
IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4820.JPG

Matplat said:
Those are some serious labels! Good stuff mate.
When I grab one I know what,when and how many! The label machine and tapes are expensive though

We all overcomplicate recipes when starting out, but yours looks pretty good and appears to have cleared well. I'd love to taste it!

While I had a bit of contact with CAMRA in the old days, and used to date a member, I believe beer is for drinking and if it tastes good and you can keep drinking it for several pints it's a good beer. So I actually like Kilkenny for a winter beer - a bit too heavy for summer when I might need a half dozen pints if working hard - and might try your recipe, though a partial mash. It's the right time of the year to lay down some winter beers, right?

Thank you. I am opening a KKC once a fortnight to see how its aging in the bottle. I like to let my beers sit a minimum of a month before opening.

A beer down in March would be good for June onwards.

Thank you. I am opening a KKC once a fortnight to see how its aging in the bottle. I like to let my beers sit a minimum of a month before opening.

A beer down in March would be good for June onwards.

Some beers like hoppy pale ales I find are better fresh than aged because the hop character diminishes over time. I certainly wouldn't be hiding a pale ale away for 3 or 4 months before drinking it. There's not really a one size fits all for ageing beers though, some styles need longer than others to be at their best, and personal taste comes into it as well.

Latest posts

Back