Show Us Your Tap Handles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had these CNC machined at work from aluminium

2012_09_14_020.jpg

I got bored today and I had some 25mm dowel to spare so I made some handles. Forgive me if they are boring, I have no tools for shaping these other than a drill, chisels and some sandpaper. I had some 3/8" couplers (the big long nut things) and the most difficult thing was getting them perfectly centered and straight into the dowels. I had to make a jig to do it.

One was going to hit my freezer door handle and was intentionally not perfectly straight to try and avoid the handle, but was still a bit close so I got creative with the chisel and made it look like a burned stick. I burned it with a blowtorch, then scraped it and sanded it up. I am going to stain one of the plain ones and then varnish all three.

IMG_20130406_165602.jpg

IMG_20130406_165548.jpg

IMG_20130406_165519.jpg

I only just set my keg system up, and I remembered I had an old joystick in the shed.

This is how it turned out...

Looking for a James squire one for the other side if anyone has one to sell.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice mckenry.
I saw some of those handles on ebay recently, did you pick up from there?

Also how much line so you use on your perlick flow controls? I have same taps and have to pour slowly.

Edak said:
Nice mckenry.
I saw some of those handles on ebay recently, did you pick up from there?

Also how much line so you use on your perlick flow controls? I have same taps and have to pour slowly.
Yes, from the USA though. Wasnt a cheap exercise, 6 heavy handles from the worst place in the world to get something posted. (this may be an exaggeration)
I have as little line as possible. Just 0.5m from keg to bottom of font, and then as a guess, another 0.5m to the tap, for the middle taps, less for the outer taps.
I pour pretty fast. Same as you'd see in a pub. If that causes a little too much foaming, just wind the flow controller down a bit and all perfect again. Love 'em. Wanted to hang out for SS flow controllers, but these are easily good enough.

the newest ones from me,
river red gum and black heart sasafras.
hope they enjoy them.

The one one the left is a beautiful timber. Did you splice the timbers? Also is that a straight clear or have you stained?

Cheers

Been inspired by some of the DIY tap handles made from sticks found in the yard. Just spent a couple of hours stripping sticks of bark & sanding them back, now time to stain em

splice the timbers, no stain thats the natural colour of them.
very happy with the red gum, have another set of these ready to glue up then turn in the near future.
any one interested in a set of two.

barls,
No matter whether your handles have spliced timbers or not I absolutely recommend the clear Aero finish that was given to my taps by my mate sav on this forum.
Unfortunately he has recently changed his (Nambour) business name so I'm unable to give a direct addy.

PM the man if you want a beautiful glossy finish to your brewery woodwork.
NO beer affiliation yadda yadda.
barls said:
very happy with the red gum, have another set of these ready to glue up then turn in the near future.

New Tap Handles.JPG

barls said:
any one interested in a set of two.
PM sent.

I took my sticks into work so I could fit the bolts & the guy who runs the spray booth saw them & offered to coat them in two pack clear, same stuff they use on cars. Came up a treat!

sticky tap handles.jpg

Just finished these today. I made them out of 2 turned stair balustrades from the big green shed.

Total cost $30 and a few hours.

2014-01-12 12.46.45 small.jpg

Made these up over the last week or so. I was looking for something like the Rogue tap handles

It's just a hydrometer tube cut in half with some furniture leg tips from Bunnings to seal it all up. Couldn't get my hands on threaded inserts so I used some T-Nuts instead.

Tap_handles.jpg

Back