Show Us Your Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony said:
Would look good next to that grain mill mate, hows it been going?
[post="111199"][/post]​
grain mill is going well. still dont have a proper hopper for it, will get round to it soon :)

cheers

OK, here's mine, finished last week.

I first bought an aluminium pole, it's 1m long. Once I explained what I needed to my dad, he told me a bloke at his work knows more about welding than him, and he'll pass questions onto him. Lo and behold, he welded the paddle part onto the end, and sealed off the piping at both ends!

IMGP0067__Small_.JPG

IMGP0071__Small_.JPG

I'll be adding marks to the non-paddle end so I can also measure the depth of liquid in the pot as well (multi-use!!). that's one reason why it's longer than necessary.

Will be using it in thursday's brew... looking forward to it!

Later!

Dave

Of course P&C, I've been wondering for ages how to improve on my rough bit of copper pipe dip tube, never thought of that one! thanks mate :beerbang:

cheers

Browndog

Here's a photo of mine finished. I never got around to posting it once I finished the handle and it's fellow siblings.

I use the smaller one as it is ideal size for the humble Borretmaid but as you can see it has a few twins that have actually made their way to different corners of the country. ;)

I was unsure how effective it would be and if the yankee design was more gimick than functional. But I have to say I love it and have had possitive reports back about the others. Makes the effort of upgrading from the plastic spoon well worth it. :)

Cheers

Brent

junior_and_senior.jpg

One as far as Mexico. :lol:

Works like a charm too. Couldn't brew without it. :beerbang:

BTW The other one went to Moscow. :p

Warren -

dsc011769gk.jpg

... The People's Brewery is a big fan of the Borret paddle :beerbang: Thanks mate. I reckon you should go into commercial production... Hey, how about a site sponsorship :p I can just see the Borretpaddle logo up there next to Rosses...

Shawn.

And now a word from our quasi-sponsor. :ph34r:

Twas a joke officer... honest. :p

Warren -

mexicanbrewer.jpg

I saw yours in action at The People's Brewery a few weeks ago and it worked a treat. Ever going into production Brent put me down for one for sure!

Not that I want to be involved in the ruination of Borret Industries, you understand... but where would an individual find said plans for said stirring contraption ? :D

n00ch said:
I saw yours in action at The People's Brewery a few weeks ago and it worked a treat. Ever going into production Brent put me down for one for sure!
[post="129195"][/post]​

n00ch

Even work beautifully in the lower climes... I've put mine through the "acid test" (not rest :lol: ) mashing in Powells for a 40 degree (b-glucan) rest with a LG ratio of 1:1. Like mixing concrete and screenings.

The Borretusforkus makes it a breeze. Even slaps the dreaded doughballs from Marris Otter. :)

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
And now a word from our quasi-sponsor. :ph34r:

Twas a joke officer... honest. :p

Warren -
[post="129188"][/post]​

:lol: :lol: where's the gif moving paddle.....? jeeeez

If I get inspired on the weekend I'll wip up a quick 3D model and maybe some plans (as there aren't any around on the internet that I could find) Anyone that downloads the plans can then contribute a miniscule percentage of their wages to the forum and obtain a place for their logo in the AHB banner. :huh: Or you could just guess the dimensions like I did.

I might even do a flythrough animation for ya Kong..

A word of warning though... if you are without a drill press, a decent aray of large drills and a decent machine vise..... then don't bother with this project. You'll just make some expensive kindling with holes in it for the fire this winter. The whole lot is tight fitted and dowelled with only a small spot of glue internally on the pinning dowels for a bit of security. I had a few goes at getting the first one 'just right' even with the appropriate tools. <_<

Brent :wacko:

Brent.

It appears that somebody has taken a shine to you. :wub:

Warren -

101861b.jpg

The angry eyes are already packed thanks mate. :lol:

Nice work on my signature spud thanks waz ;)

Brent

I use an old coopers plastic spoon (snapped in half of course) with 20cm of the handle left. It isnt uncommon for my hands to get burnt when trying to mix.

Im going to get a good wooden one once ive build the bigger mash tun. I would build a stainless one but after a few beers id be worried about scratching the inside of the SS mash tun.

Ash.

I dont think sratching stainless with stainless is a problem.

Its when you scratch it with other steels that it imbeds with forrein materials and encourages corosion.

Mine is scratched to the shithouse from my stainless paddle and no problems.

Thats why we use Stainless wire brushes at work when welding stainless up.

I will check up on these facts tomorrow to confirm as i anit no boilermaker.

cheers

If I get inspired on the weekend I'll wip up a quick 3D model and maybe some plans (as there aren't any around on the internet that I could find) Anyone that downloads the plans can then contribute a miniscule percentage of their wages to the forum and obtain a place for their logo in the AHB banner. Or you could just guess the dimensions like I did.

I might even do a flythrough animation for ya Kong..

A word of warning though... if you are without a drill press, a decent aray of large drills and a decent machine vise..... then don't bother with this project. You'll just make some expensive kindling with holes in it for the fire this winter. The whole lot is tight fitted and dowelled with only a small spot of glue internally on the pinning dowels for a bit of security. I had a few goes at getting the first one 'just right' even with the appropriate tools.

Brent

Hey Borret, did you get anywhere with this, or were you taking the Mickey ? :unsure:
Was interested in how you put it together and how you dealt with the sealing issues of the join. Would hate to have an infection hiding in there somewhere :(

Here's a picture of my mash paddle. :lol: Haven't had a need to use it much though, Kits & bits is the way to go. :beer:
Oh, & BTW the pic was taken by a 5mp point & shoot digi. It's not what equipment you've got, it's the way that you use it that matters, eh Tangent. :D

My_Mash_tun___paddle.JPG

Clive,
Maybe you should consider using an immersion element in there!! Could catch fire as is 8).

cheers

Darren

Back