Show Us Your Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new baby after it's maiden run <_<

100_1418.JPG

timmy said:
My new baby after it's maiden run <_<
[post="109679"][/post]​
Still have my original in one piece. Even AnthonyMac can't break it ;)

they should sell those plastic ones pre-snapped, absolute waste of cash unfortunately.
Hmmm, my paddle looks like Kai's & Aaron's and maybe even Wee Stu's stash of trophy paddles. (Only I don't have a drill bit big enough for some decent holes)
Jaz gave me a piece of quad with the official measurement grooves for my kettle.

I've got an old bush cricket bat donated to me by a fellow brewer in swap for a perpet for a refract. Damn good swap I reckon! I'll post a pic sometime, but it still needs to be trimmed and drilled.

i can beat you all - mine is a Stick.

a long bit of wood that i found in the shed left over from previous tenants.

works all right for me!

i got a D for woodwork in year 8 so i'm not about to go making anything.

AnthonyMac said:
I've got an old bush cricket bat donated to me by a fellow brewer in swap for a perpet for a refract. Damn good swap I reckon! I'll post a pic sometime, but it still needs to be trimmed and drilled.
[post="109950"][/post]​

I was happy too :) , with my pipette that is :p

I remember you being a bit of a stirrer once yourself stu. :D

Nice stainless stirrer that belongs to another wee fellow

Cheers
Batz

How timely is this thread...
My work in progress.... and it'll have at least one brother too. ;)
paddle.jpg

You cant be that lazy ZWICKEL...
Take two people to lift it......
Cheers
Pj :lol:

neonmeate said:
i can beat you all - mine is a Stick.

a long bit of wood that i found in the shed left over from previous tenants.

works all right for me!

i got a D for woodwork in year 8 so i'm not about to go making anything.
[post="109953"][/post]​

Ditto,
Even has the kids name burnt in it. Might have been his punishment stick.

tangent said:
they should sell those plastic ones pre-snapped, absolute waste of cash unfortunately.

It was going well untill the pickup tube came off my manifold, i tried to lever it up through a deep grain bed, that's when it died.

My old brewers spoon from my first kit snapped while trying to be lazy while pulling an old tap apart.

Timmy

Did you get that piece of plastic cr^%& for ESB in sydney I bought one there and it broke first time out in the same spot as yours seeing yours make me feel like Iam not just a idiot ta

they're only good for stirring a tomato soup, anything thicker and they snap.
sold around Australia for a variety of mis-matched purposes.
we all make that mistake

I got my plastic spoon from an old cooper's brewing kit, must be ten years old andstill going strong. They must just not make 'em like they used to.

Haven't had to worry about busting mine....
1" diameter tube for a handle
2.5mm thick paddle end
overall 730mm long

Paddle.jpg

Well as i said in the first post i use a piece of brolen wooden curtain rod

I have used this to mix every mash i have bone but i just dont think it cuts the mustard, let alone the mash.

I am kind of atached to this useless stick that fails to break up dough balls and wont evenly mix the mash to get a even temperature.

It has made me some prize winning beers but its a mash paddle i want to win (i wont get too cocky, just being positive :p ) so its a mash paddle i have to make to get that little bit extra.

I kind of feel i am missing a little bit on a few fronts.

the mash: (doughballs, inconsistant temps, up to 2 or 3 deg difference depending on where u stick the temp probe and getting the grist to the perfect consistancy.
the paddle:....... you will see the pic, it is like a horny goat in a paddock full of cows, it just aint going to happen :D
the boil: my little 3 ring burner that only gives me 2.5 to 3 liters / hr evaporation and half a rolling boil is soon to be history. I have a 130 000 BTU mongolian burner on its way from G&G (they look so cool too)

have been doing a lot of reading on mashing techniques too and have learned a lot so far.

Will see how it all pans out but this stick is going to have to be hung from the wall.

I might start a colection of mash paddles, as i update them they will take their place on the wall to watch over the brewery

mmmmmmmmm SS mash paddle or timber mash paddle.

mow thats what im taliking about dreamboat!!!

might have to design a SS frame with some course SS mesh as a center, course enough for the mash to flow through fairly easily but fine enough to rouse any gastly dough balls.

MMMMMM i did see a slab of SS plate, plenty of pipe in the steel rack. break out the plasma and the tig :) here i come

cheers all

sintax69 said:
Timmy

Did you get that piece of plastic cr^%& for ESB in sydney I bought one there and it broke first time out in the same spot as yours seeing yours make me feel like Iam not just a idiot ta
[post="110254"][/post]​
If you have a close look at these type of mash paddles you will find that where they break is the injection point for the mold for the spoon. From this point you should be able to trace the seam where the two parts of the mold come together. Mine broke at this point and it also had small air bubbles in the plastic.

Steve

I've got 2 that are similar.

Pictured is the one I got for $7 and just drilled 4 x 20mm holes. I mainly use this one because of its shorter handle.

It's amazing what you can find at the Vietnamese cheapie shops these days. :rolleyes: They had them in varying sizes to. IIRC The most expensive was about $15 and would have been about 1 metre long. :beerbang:

Warren -

DSC00829.JPG

Latest posts

Back