Show Us Your Beer Engines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there no way of serving from a keg with really low carbonation?

I'll try de-carbonating it, but otherwise you'll have to wait until next time.

:huh: We've served a few chilled a force carbed beers from a keg in a bucket of ice through an engine with no worries. Maybe the foam comes from restriction of drawing beer through the beer out post? We tend to just stick the hose in through the open keg lid (yes, best to fin the keg that day!) Speaking of which, unless you're using silicone hose, it's a good idea to stick a stainless barb or something on the end of the hose for a bit of weight to help it sink to the bottom properly, otherwise any bends in the hose tend to make it hard to suck up the last few pints :)

Hey guys,

This thread on Beer Engines has started me going on reading up some.
But the lingering questions is... with a beer engine, one need not carb beer or CO2 the keg no more during dispensing?
I have never seen one before but when I pop by melbourne in dec, I am definitely going over to holgate and drool on the bar =)

Hey guys,

This thread on Beer Engines has started me going on reading up some.
But the lingering questions is... with a beer engine, one need not carb beer or CO2 the keg no more during dispensing?
I have never seen one before but when I pop by melbourne in dec, I am definitely going over to holgate and drool on the bar =)

You don't carb the beer at all, C02 is replaced in the keg as you pump out the beer only to equalize the pressure, ie you don't want to create a vacuum or suck in air.

Batz

I'll try de-carbonating it, but otherwise you'll have to wait until next time.

You can de carb it flat batz do the ross method with the valve open it forces c02 out completly.

You can de carb it flat batz do the ross method with the valve open it forces c02 out completly.

Don't worry possum ;)

At last years mid year SA swap I had a bitter served on BYB's hand pump.
It had been carbed to about 1.4vols.
Drawn through the beer out post until vacuum made it hard to pull.
Quick shot of gas to ease the pressure then away it went again.
Must of done the job as the keg was empty at the end of the night.
Cheers
Nige

Edit: Served through a sparkler as all good ales should be!

Edit: Served through a sparkler as all good ales should be!

Love this topic, I have two different sparklers arriving, we can try with and without.

Batz

Batz
I had 2 of those, sold one on Ebay for a song, funny how everyone raves about them but I got very few bids.
There are some pics in this thread somewhere.

Batz
I had 2 of those, sold one on Ebay for a song, funny how everyone raves about them but I got very few bids.
There are some pics in this thread somewhere.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...6&hl=engine

I'm really quite taken by them Vlad, actually thinking of reconditioning a few if I can find them. I have another hobby that involves polishing brass so I have all the buffs etc.

Of course I'm yet to pour a beer through it so I may find it's all too much hassle, time will tell.

Batz

Well after sitting on my Hand Pump for almost a year, I have got the last bits to set it up. I am using a micro controlled reg set very low into a Cornie Keg through the post, through 8mm line into a check valve then into the pump itself. I have a spring loaded sparkler to close off the system to the atmosphere to keep the beer un-oxidised(if that is a word). I am having a little foaming issue, I think it is because the beer was not conditioned for the pump but rather a draft system. I also think there was a temp differentiation problems. How are people mounting theirs? I was thinking of using a small chest fridge with a collar and a temp control. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rurik

Ps. Also need to get a better picture of it.

post_5858_1289125085_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• PB050040.JPG
    PB050040.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Well after sitting on my Hand Pump for almost a year, I have got the last bits to set it up. I am using a micro controlled reg set very low into a Cornie Keg through the post, through 8mm line into a check valve then into the pump itself. I have a spring loaded sparkler to close off the system to the atmosphere to keep the beer un-oxidised(if that is a word). I am having a little foaming issue, I think it is because the beer was not conditioned for the pump but rather a draft system. I also think there was a temp differentiation problems. How are people mounting theirs? I was thinking of using a small chest fridge with a collar and a temp control. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rurik

Ps. Also need to get a better picture of it.

View attachment 41972

Looks great, you need to polish up that brass to make it look 100%.

Batz

I have finished rebuilding one of my beer engines and I'm stoked with it. Many thanks to NNL for the parts and assistance.

beer_engine_003.jpg

Before

beer_engine_3_001.jpg

After

Batz

Hey Batz

What did you use to fix the drip tray to the beer engine?

It came with the engine, it just a bit of flat bar, easy as to make. Want a pic?

Batz

Latest posts

Back