Should we cull sharks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
(except stu who thinks they dress like seals and coat themselves in chum).
I didnt actually mention chum :)

But, a few years ago there was some research done as to why sharks attack humans. Some theory was put about that that surfers could be mistaken for seals and also that splashing action could also attrack sharks

manticle said:
If someone goes bushwalking in long grass in hot weather, they may get bitten by a snake. Most serious bushwalkers probably know and accept the risk and take some precautions. Might still get bitten, won't blame them, won't napalm the grass either.
Completely agree. But there is only a certain amount of risk that is acceptable without mitigation. And when that risk jumps from remote or very unlikely to probable, it's time to start asking questions

manticle said:
Further, using terms like 400% increase when you're talking about numbers like 12 a year is hyperbole.
Hardly hyperbole, just statistics. If I said that 'you cant even go into the water these days without being maimed or killed', then you might have a point.

So we just go around killing animals that start being harmfull to us. Is that the solution when the stats get a bit high

timmyf said:
Completely agree. But there is only a certain amount of risk that is acceptable without mitigation. And when that risk jumps from remote or very unlikely to probable, it's time to start asking questions
Ask away. Trying to kill all the sharks is a blatantly absurd answer though.

Hardly hyperbole, just statistics. If I said that 'you cant even go into the water these days without being maimed or killed', then you might have a point.
Nah. If I fell over once in july, then twice in august, that's a 100% increase. If I told a statistician, I can imagine the withering look on their face would make me feel as insignificant as the numbers. So many factors could explain a jump from 3-12. I doubt the evil shark bosses having an AGM or offering commissions on maiming is one of them.

Anyway main point was to clarify my comment about idiots and to stop you thinking everybody here wants surfers to die.

Ducatiboy stu said:
So we just go around killing animals that start being harmfull to us. Is that the solution when the stats get a bit high
If there is no other sensible solution then... Yes. Is the alternative acceptable to you?

Sensible, you need to look at what has changed causing the shark attacks or whether it is just a spike in the attacks.

a sudden increase in shark numbers? (I don't think so) or added survival pressures on sharks for food? (Maybe, lower fish stocks available) or other factors? (always) or just a bad year for attacks? (possibly)

As in most situations there is a number of factors at work.

But, at the end of the day knee jerk (crowd pleasing) reactions don't often solve the issue at hand. Just dissolve it from the public eye.

Sharks are after 1 thing. FOOD

Something environmental is going on

We have had a very wet winter here on the north coast of NSW. ( Winter up here is usually dry. We get most of our rain and floods during summer ) And river flows affect what happens out int he oceans. They wash out food and nutrients ..etc..

Now it seems that the attacks have happened up here on the North Coast and it is coinciding with a change in the way the environment is responding

I could be wrong. Its just an observation mixed with some science and talking to old fishermen

timmyf said:
If there is no other sensible solution then... Yes. Is the alternative acceptable to you?
Oh, there is an alternative, but it would interfere with your lifestyle and leisure.

I will back the sharks any day

timmyf said:
If there is no other sensible solution then... Yes. Is the alternative acceptable to
What's the alternative? That sometimes people are injured or die? You mean to eliminate that from the world?

The logic that says yes would be the same logic that chopped down all the trees to stop anyone getting lost hiking.

Cars are a bigger menace than sharks (the kind of bigger that is actually statistically significant).

Has anyone recorded the number of people that went swimming in the ocean and didn't get attacked by a shark?

VP Brewing said:
Has anyone recorded the number of people that went swimming in the ocean and didn't get attacked by a shark?
No. But the stats are reasonably good. I know heaps of people who have been in he ocean and are still alive.

Have a look at the graphic done in 2013 on sharks killed per hour in 2011 compared to the eleven people killed worldwide during the same period, you can then REALLY SEE the threat sharks pose to mankind. Since I was a small boy something inside me has always made me believe how privileged I am to share this planet with all other creatures, large and small, harmless and dangerous, but sad to say the only one I'd class as evil and treacherous is man. The older I've got the stronger this belief has proved too be true. Thank goodness for people like David Attenborough and Jacques Cousteau that show the true nature of the animal kingdom, not always pretty that's for sure but a far cry from the ridiculous lies portrayed in Hollywood movies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2013/03/27/sharks-killed-per-hour-infographic_n_2965775.html?ir=Australia

Obviously going on that graph that they are not killing sharks fast enough to stop the recent attacks

**** it. Lets kill all the sharks and save 10-20 people per year from getting killed.

My observation whilst fishing a few times up the north Coast is a lot more salmon closer to the shore. Maybe they are coming in with their food source.
Maybe not.

sharks hate shampoo and I'm bald now that's some bad luck right there

Make like a squid.
See a shark,shit in the water and get away in the confusion.

timmyf said:

Cars kill more people every year than every type of animal put together. We don't have to all drive cars every day but we accept the risk and do it. No one wants to ban cars.

How do you determine which sharks to kill?

How many?

In what area?

When do you stop?

What about box jellyfish? They're deadly, maybe we should add them to the list?. While we're at it, seagulls are kind of annoying when I'm trying to eat fish n chips down the beach, add them. Ooh ooh and my dog shits all over the lawn, makes a mess, whack them on their too

Back