Shedding Some Pounds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joshF said:
Gone are the days of meat with two veg
Good, because that is a really shitty diet.

joshF said:
the second coming of Arnold Schwhatzizface
Only the second?

manticle said:
Always been blessed with a good metabolism which I have maintained throughout my life with loads of exercise. My eating habits are generally healthy but I've never needed to watch what I eat - i just happen to enjoy cooking for myself and enjoy things like lean game meats and fresh foods. Never been a big bread eater, etc although I love a dimmy and good fish and chip shop burger.

Currently ride bike to and from work (equates to about 70 mins aerobic exercise per day, 5 days per week). I don't have a car so I either walk or ride most other places. Gym for free weights sessions 3 times per week, 1 x 1.5 - 2hr futsal training session + 40 min game per week. My work is also reasonably physical and involves lifting, walking and very little time sitting down.

I feel like I'm living proof that beer doesn't make you fat because I drink way more than a doctor would recommend. Have 1 day off per week currently but that is more about my insides and maintaining some semblance of control than anything else.

38 at the end of this year, just under 6 ft and weighing 70 kg currently. Have maintained 67 - 70 for most of my adult life.
Mate thats like an Iron man fitness regime no wonder your a twig man. 6 Foot and under 70 KG is skinny on the BMI. I think you should increase your beer intake and include lots of steak and possibly cake in your diet as you are dangerously underweight for a homebrewer.

If I increased my beer intake, there'd be mischief.

Eat loads of steak and roo too - must be the absence of cake wot does it.

manticle said:
If I increased my beer intake, there'd be mischief.
Pro-tip: mischief is usually a good way to burn some excess calories.

Just need to work on your recovery time. Short rests between intense bursts of exercise are recommended by most gurus.

Or you could buy a machine from the television. They have those now.

manticle said:
Or you could buy a machine from the television. They have those now.
If I tried to introduce yet another pump into the brew house, my wife would be less than impressed.

Maybe tinker away with what you have?

Reinvention is the mother of all something, something....................

Without entering into a discussion about various diet "plans" like the orange juice diet, the California Spring Roll Diet, the eat a bucket of liver every day diet, ad nauseam, if you know any really seriously fat people, one thing you'll notice is that they eat just about constantly and what they do eat is in massive portions.

For example there are 3 real fat people (all under 30, all over 120k) in the SWMBO side of the family and they all have in common:

When attending an all you can eat buffet at pub or club, although they are free to make as many trips to the bain maries as they wish, their plates are nevertheless piled to overflowing at the first trip. Then the second and third. I have trouble just finishing one plate of the schnitzel, chips and rocketty salad stuff on Schnitzel Night.

When you drop in on them for a visit they always seem to be chewing on something right at that time and it's often weird stuff, like a whole packet of lamington squares or half a loaf of bread smeared thick with marge and slices of banana stuck onto them, almost like they are taking medication.

Lunch is more often than not a full sit down feast at a Thai restaurant, or an upsized Hungry Jacks Double Whopper, large fries, large onion rings and large coke. Which comes to around 3500 cals if I'm not mistaken. And that's just a snack to see them through to those lamingtons etc.

Now I'm not going to get obese, just looking to take off maybe 9 kg and I'll be good. But it does strike me that people who are obese seem to have a huge food capacity - maybe they just have huge stretched stomachs that have to be filled to trigger the "I'm full" hormones that get triggered in most of us when we eat far smaller quantities?

One of the main factors in obesity is portion size as you suggest Bribie. Follow that with the portions being of crap quality food and little to no movement/exercise (except to get to the fridge or pick up the remote) and you have the three main contributors to being overweight.

Reverse those and you have a proven formula for losing the weight and maintaining that loss.

Many factors like genetics etc. make people's weight loss/gain vary between individuals but those three things are key.

Edit (@ Speisy) Well that's fairly obvious, Like saying "Alcoholics drink a lot of piss".

The question is what are the physiological or mental processes behind it. For example two of the fatties are happy people with good jobs and a nice home and just like to pig out constantly.

There is definite pros to being skinny. It takes less to get you pissed.
But I think the plain science of the matter has been discovered - Energy in < Energy out = weight loss.

Was an interesting show on sbs (sans tits) couple of weeks ago on obesity. Seems obese people have a defect in the I'm full hormone and not the I'm hungry one, in fact it was less active than normal weighted people.Following gastric bypass surgery nearly all of them reported to feeling full for the first time in their memory, and their hormone activity had changed. That is of course a very brief and probably somewhat slightly inaccurate summary.
I like to sticky beak at the contents of fat bastards trolleys at the supermarket, pretty obvious then why they are fat.

sillyboybrybry said:
But I think the plain science of the matter has been discovered - Energy in < Energy out = weight loss.
And there you have it brewers. The above sums it all up nicely & is the best post in this thread so far.

As a famous Olympic swimmer once put it: --- Nothing in = Nothing out.

Latest posts

Back