First Post Confused with fermentation temperatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1010 from a 1040 start is most likely pretty much finished, just leave it two days and check again just to be sure.
3 days dry hop will add some flavour but mostly aroma.
When you open the fermenter don't breath, I'm serious there's more bacteria in your mouth than in your bum, hold your breath, only open the lid as much as necessary and close it as quickly as possible.
Vanilla bean? I thought you were making an IPA, each to there own of course but I save vanilla beans for stouts and porters.
Sounds like you're on track.

Thanks, I'm not a fan of lagers. However if there's a way to brew a lager that has the characteristics of an ale I'm all ears.
There are many great lager styles. Most Aussies not into brewing and craft beer just think of lager as the usual tap beer- Vb, Tooheys, XXXX etc. But there are a lot of great styles, mostly German, of lager.
Traditional Pilsners are a thing of beauty when done well but you need to be experienced as it will show up any faults. Bocks, Swartzbiers, Munich Lagers, Vienna Lagers, Marzens, Altbiers the list goes on. Point is, dont write lagers off.
Im by and large an Ale brewer but do love a good lager. I think in your situation through, Ales are easier to brew, are more forgiving and take less time (no need for a lagering period).
Some good advice has been given so I wont go over broken ground but if you are keen on following through with brewing, first point of call (if you have the room) is to get yourself an old working fridge (can be picked up from between $0-$50) and hook up your inkbird to that. It will allow you to brew year round at a perscribed temperature which is the second most important part of brewing after sanitation.
My other advice would be pick one of 2 styles you like- such as an IPA or Pale ale and brew it a few times, making changes to the process as you go (such as a temp control chamber next time). That way you can tell what difference those changes make. dry hop by all means- the style demands it, but leave out other additives (vanillla bean) that can mask or enhance issues as you wont know where to make improvements.

Good luck mate, its a lot of fun.

Back