Shedding Some Pounds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went from 131kg to 92kg in about 1.5 years by exercising and tracking calories. Loosened up a bit with the tracking food because it was doing my head in and maintained 95 pretty happily.

Had a child and that and couldn't exercise as often - 97kg and maintaining

Got my willpower mojo back and got back to 92kg in November.

Started home brewing in November and fast forward to the present BAM 101kg.

Want to get back to mid 90's but the mojo has left me again.

Long story short. Thanks for the post, i was wondering the same thing. Doesn't help that I absolutely love all the stuff that's bad (food wise) and beer, I love beer.

I recon its all about willpower and routine. Its the routine that I'm trying to get back. Good luck!

Maybe we should set up a biggest loser style thread where we can compete and use that as motivation. Thoughts?

</ramble>

edit: laws of grammar applied in some cases

I've found I drink quite a bit less when I grab a smaller glass. Weird but true.

Then again, I'm 65kg downhill with a tailwind if I haven't taken a shit.

Yeah funny the smaller glass thing! First time I asked for a glass not a pint at pub they nearly died. But shit I dont get as hungover after a visit there!

Weight loss is easy. Just give yourself intestinal tapeworm. You can eat what you want and you'll never put on weight! So what if your date is a bit itchy - small price to pay.

Apparently jockeys used to do this during the depression. They would kill the worms with medicine and if they were getting overweight again they would give themselves another.

And the worms make you really smart (Futurama fans know this)

I'm in the same boat - 95 (not too bad for 6ft) but bad knees and increasing gut.
I love food and drink too much to give the good life up, so I intend (as pommiebloke mentioned - no magic bullet) eating a little less, and exercising more.

Nick JD said:
I've found I drink quite a bit less when I grab a smaller glass. Weird but true.

Then again, I'm 65kg downhill with a tailwind if I haven't taken a shit.
That is so disappointing. 65kg ? With your witty retort and 'tell em as it is' attitude, I thought you'd have two canons hanging off your shoulders :D
The sledging, the obvious 'WTF?' type comments, I thought you'd be a big, mean MOFO!
Still. love ya work - half of your posts make me laugh at someone elses expence. :lol:

Bribie G said:
Shack up with any lass and you pile on the kilos. I gather than Manticle is a bachelor so he's half won the battle. In my bacheloring periods I was lean and mean. Shack up and within a few months I'm a teddy bear. Split up and I'm lean and mean again within a few weeks often.
Been with the same woman for 14 years Bribie.

James I punched out to 113kg. Not going to stop drinking so had to change. Go a pushy and now cover 30km a day if I can and longer weekend rides. Keep the drinking to weekends and the odd Thursday... Watch what I eat and so on. Down to 97 - 99 kg. Happy at that for winter. Will up the pace when Summer comes back.

Cheers

Econwatson said:
Was reading about how if you eat something in your younger years you become better at processing it. When I was a youngun back in Scotland, I ate potatoes every day and was as fat as a match.
Hey mate, where in Scotland are you from?

Ken

kendoll said:
Hey mate, where in Scotland are you from?

Ken

I'm from just outside Aberdeen, place called Durris with a population of maybe 300 or so. Do you come from Scotland originally?

We've evolved into a population where everything is automated and we don't have to lift a finger. Gone are the days of meat with two veg, only to be replaced by pizza and garlic bread so we need to either eat smarter or compensate for the extra calorie intake by burning it off through exercise.

Since alot of people are saying workout etc i've gotta agree. You don't have to be the second coming of Arnold Schwhatzizface but doing some form of exercise definitely helps to fight off excess baggage (presuming you don't want to limit your current beer intake that is).

If your conscious of time, I'd suggest making squats your friend. They use all the biggest muscle groups in the body and you'll be burning calories long after you've finished. Maybe try investing in one of those inflatable gym balls and start doing squats against a wall with the gymball resting in the small of your back. Situps, pushups, and other really basic compound exercises will seriously help make a difference. If you work indoors, take the stairs instead not the lift. If you need to buy milk and bread from the shops down the road, walk instead of drive etc etc.

Failing all that, just try alternating your beer arm haha :chug:

mckenry said:
That is so disappointing. 65kg ? With your witty retort and 'tell em as it is' attitude, I thought you'd have two canons hanging off your shoulders :D
The sledging, the obvious 'WTF?' type comments, I thought you'd be a big, mean MOFO!
Still. love ya work - half of your posts make me laugh at someone elses expence. :lol:
Whats worse is that he's only 35kg after he's had a shit.... :ph34r: :ph34r:

Econwatson said:
I'm from just outside Aberdeen, place called Durris with a population of maybe 300 or so. Do you come from Scotland originally?
Yeah, born in Bishopbriggs just outside Glasgow - think it is classed as East Dunbartonshire these days.

I've been asking a similar question to you too. I managed to lose about 18kg about 18 months ago mainly by eating better and avoiding beer during the week along with doing 30min exercise 4 nights a week. Have managed to keep most of it off fro the last 18 months by keeping up the regime.

Ken

Dan2 said:
And the worms make you really smart (Futurama fans know this)
:lol: You've damaged your brain Universe, but no more than a week of binge drinking or five minutes on a cell phone!

I started running this year (been slack lately though) - 30 years of being all prick and ribs, then I packed on a bit if paunch. I was running about 15 - 20 km a week and tend to drink only on weekends, with the occasional Thursday night in there too. I'm back down to my fighting weight & thinking about a half marathon later this year - if only there was a pub at the end.

About 18 months ago, I went to my doc and he decided it was time to do the 35,000 k check up. [35 years old]

Blood test etc.. tested for everything.

Result - apparently I have an under active thyroid, so my metabolism is slow as ****.

When I was 17-30, I was all rack and stalk but that changed... I got heavy and lazy....

Apparently, it is not uncommon for a mans thyroid to crash out at this age.

Anyway - story told - if you are piling it on and feeling lazy, get checked out.

Now:

18 months later - on the correct meds...

Then - I was 120kg.

Now - I am 90-91, eat well, exercise daily and overall live a healthier life, EVERYDAY.

Stil drink the same....

POINT BEING: You can drink the same and lose kg's if you need to.

3.4c

And now shooshing.

Latest posts

Back