Shanghai Craft (and regular) Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
So we hopped on a plane with a handful of children to Shanghai for 3 weeks.

It wasn't a beer trip, but we kinda did some beer related stuff because we could.

So I thought I'd give a quick few photos and thoughts about my (beer) time in Shanghai:

• Craft beer scene in Shanghai is significantly more developed than Hong Kong (based on my trip last year)
  • It's more accessible than Tokyo (less tiny bars, easy to get kids in), at a similar level of development
  • Look on your label of beer (especially Chinese beers and BUL (like Suntory)), if it says >= any number less than 4%, avoid - it's sex in a canoe beer
  • Aside from the above, they tend to favour stout/dark beers, German wheat beers and German lagers (even more than say Heineken, or Carlsberg)
  • Like other Asian countries, they tend to favour Belgian and German beers, when non-lager, non-wheat and non stout beers are sold at supermarkets and convenience stores
  • Breweries and craft shops most prolific in more westernised areas (like the French Concession)
  • Some breweries/craft bars have kids menus. So a day out with kids is a breeze.
  • Sour beers as easy to get as an IPA.
Now the pics:

Usual convenience suspects:

Bottle-o in French Concession called Dean's Bottle Shop hostages (there were about 4 craft bottle shops in one small street:

(Photo won't upload)

2 of the following beers came from it, the Brooklyn Sour from a Bagel shop of all places:

Bottle-o in Longyang Road shops (lots of good food there), sit on the metro line for the airport (PVG):

Got this at Ajisen Ramen, new world pilsener, good for the weather:

Boxing Cat Brewery (fairly stock standard set of beers, but the IPA is impressive and I didn't get the barleywine), the insides of an old french house, 3 narrow stories high and good art-house feel), Kid's menu was excellent:

Paulaner (kids love the German food):

Goose Island Brewery (Chicago based doing their thing in Shanghai):

The photos of the bar and brewery are somewhere and I'll update, but it is absolutely gorgeous.

They had a number of sours brewed there, including Crouching Tangerine, Hidden Dragonfruit, which was very tasty.

(I'll go looking for more photos, but thought I'd get this started)

Ajisen Ramen rules. My favourite go to for noodles and beer. The Volcano noodles in particular.

Nice selection there LRG I. While the French Concession would be the expected place, the more you seek the more you find. I was surprised at what some of the supermarkets carry during my travels.
See what I. Find next year.

Ajisen Ramen rules. My favourite go to for noodles and beer. The Volcano noodles in particular.

Nice selection there LRG I. While the French Concession would be the expected place, the more you seek the more you find. I was surprised at what some of the supermarkets carry during my travels.
See what I. Find next year.

Thanks Stouter.

We haven't had Ajisen in Brisbane for a few years and I remember the broth there being far better than what I got in Shanghai. Might be "good old days" thinking or not. There's a ramen shop in the CBD in BNE that does an awesome one and is significantly better than what I had in Shanghai. Tokyo doesn't seem to do Tonkotsu ramen as well as Shoyu (and their soba is to die for).

I tend to (and it's flowing down to my kids) travel by wandering around the streets and places, getting a glimpse of people being people. So eventually I discover places. We stayed only 3 days in the French Concession and then shifted out to Pudong, and that's how I found the Longyang road 'bottle-o" which was more like an island shop in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a shopping centre floor.

I have a feeling some photos are on SWMBO phone, so I'll have to prise that from her locked down grasp and get some more up.

Nice one. It's been a few years since I was in shangers. Have been to the touristy paulaner but excited to hear of more

Back