Setting up for BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewkid

Reaction score
After much thought and research, id like to give this a go.

I have a keggle, a 3 ring burner with stand, im not really sure about the stability of the stand though so im going to fix that problem.

The keggle needs a good clean, i cut the top out of it about 5 or so years ago and its been propping my boat up ever since, kinda been distracted hahaha.

Ive got about $50 to spend on ingredients and plan on making some kind of pale ale most likely.
What would you guys recommend i buy? Could probably stretch a few more dollars if necessary.

Cheers.

rps20160904_181022.jpg

rps20160904_181047.jpg

It would be great to make something along the lines of little creatures pale ale.

homebrewkid said:
It would be great to make something along the lines of little creatures pale ale.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/960-little-fellas-pale-ale/

I would also recommend some camping or yoga mats that can be wrapped around the keg and held in place with ratchet straps or similar (an old sleeping bag over the top of all that also wouldn't go astray) to help maintain mash temps. Remove for boil.

I'm assuming you're planning on a single batch?

yes only planning on doing single batches.

i have something for a cover in mind, i just hope i have enough of it to make one, stay tuned for that one.

I'm with bevan on the simple first AGB recipe - hard to stuff up and tastes great.

As for covers, the campbed/yoga mat works but they don't like too much heat and absorb spills etc.

The kid's sleeping bag works fine too but same issue - I even used an old sweatshirt once.

My fave is 2 sided bubble insulation. washes clean. no heat issue and you can get small quantities cheap on fleabay

And it's shiny :)

IMG_08461_zpsb4lgzcyq.jpg

$10 el cheapo Big W Doohah with a couple of occy straps. Don't wrap too tight.

I used to go with the sleeping bag, wrap the whole lot in the silver mat etc etc, but the Doonah definitely insulates better. The idea is to wrap the pot in something that will create a layer of hot air that can't go anywhere, not to wrap it up tighter than an Egyptian mummified cat so that the heat then escapes via conduction. See the "dont wrap too tight" above.

Latest posts

Back