Second Hand Fridges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 from a local university website (international students go home and have to clear out their gear - lots of goodies abound around any college) - $20
1 from a fellow homebrewer from my brewclub - About double that but in better nick.

Good luck with your quest Bribie!

Hopper.

Keg fridge is my nan's who died :( lucky for me she brough a brand spanking new kelvinator 450+ litre fridge before she left us bless her socks.

Ferment fridge was an evilbay special, $20 + a mates time to pick it up plus a new seal and door trim @ $50. All fridge no freezer = priceless.

also google freecycle in your area. I picked up a ~300L all fridge free, fits 2 fermentors perfect.

QldKev

Have heard about this but not tried it myself:

Some of the bigger stores like Harvey Norman will take your old fridge away if you get your new one delivered. This leaves them in possession of a lot of old fridges which they are generally keen to get rid of. I'm sure I have read of brewers on this site who just rocked up and asked for an old fridge and were allowed to take it away free of charge.

Have heard about this but not tried it myself:

Some of the bigger stores like Harvey Norman will take your old fridge away if you get your new one delivered. This leaves them in possession of a lot of old fridges which they are generally keen to get rid of. I'm sure I have read of brewers on this site who just rocked up and asked for an old fridge and were allowed to take it away free of charge.

I've done it a couple of times :)
They are generaly happy because it reduces the costs of their waste disposal.

I was around the landlords place this arvo paying the rent. He said he was getting rid of two working fridges.Wanted to know if i could use them..YES PLEASE. One is a full fridge the other has a freezer unit. He accepted a carton of Carlton Mid. for them both...SCORE. :beerbang:
Will convert the full fridge into a keg fridge in time... :icon_cheers:

I was around the landlords place this arvo paying the rent. He said he was getting rid of two working fridges.Wanted to know if i could use them..YES PLEASE. One is a full fridge the other has a freezer unit. He accepted a carton of Carlton Mid. for them both...SCORE. :beerbang:
Will convert the full fridge into a keg fridge in time...

Gotta be happy with that!! :icon_cheers:

Maybe you should have bought him a slab of good beer just to be nice! :p

:lol:

I gave him the option of a carton of his choice...If I give him some of my AG beers he will never leave me alone...
Gee..dont want the Landlord around on brewday.

How well do most bar fridges fit a standard 30L fermenter, or a Bunnings 25L fermenter? I use gladwrap instead of a lid, so I'm not concerned about airlock height.

Scored a fridge off ebay for $20, might have to get a new seal though as there are a couple of big air gaps in the doors.

Anyone suggest the best place to get seals, I got a quote from seal a fridge for $160 supplied & fitted, not sure whether to get it done proeprly, or have a hck myslef.

Also scored a tempmate from Craftbrewer, will get my sparky mate to confirm the wiring with me tomorrow night. :beer:

Anyone suggest the best place to get seals, I got a quote from seal a fridge for $160 supplied & fitted, not sure whether to get it done proeprly, or have a hck myslef.

That is about $100 more than you need to spend. Shop around. you should be able to get the seal for about $40-60 dependent on size. And then fit it yourself. All you need is a screw driver, about 30 mins and some patience. Easy to do. And once you know how you can do your other fridges yourself.

I'm not sure where on the goldcoast to get them from but I know in newcastle there is place at Broadmeadow/Adamstown that you can get them from for cheap. If you can't get them cheap on the goldie they will post to you.

Pok

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is the place

http://www.fridgeseal.com.au/

Prices

Domestic
Bar Fridge $35.00
2 Door Fridge - Freezer Door $30.00
2 Door Fridge - Main Door $40.00
Single Door Fridge $45.00

Postage and handling: $6.00 for delivery throughout Australia.

Or search for fridge seals on ebay
theres a guy on the central coast NSW that makes em up to spec.. they are good and about that price
My guess is he works for seal a fridge or similar and just knocks em up when he gets teh truck home :p

Tom

Hey Pok, thanks for that info, got both seals for about $80, & installed em... happy days :super:

Got a 2nd hand fridge today. Plenty come into a scrap yard around here so I had a pick out of about 10. None worked but that's not a worry. Just good to have the fermenter out in the shed with me where I spend most of my time now! :D Got a cheap thermometer with a probe so I get the ambient temp and the temp inside the fridge.

Latest posts

Back