Quantcast

Scottish Kit Recipe

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dunc

Reaction score
Im looking for a Kit Recipe for any Scottish Beers.
Any recipes or advice on how to make a simple scottish style beer would be appreciated.

What yeasts would work best when brewing a scottish beer?

dunc

Rubes

Reaction score
Muntons do a Highland Heavy 3 KG kit. It is the closest you will get in a kit.
It comes with a dried yeast.

There are liquid yeasts available that are supposed to be Scottish in origin. I have tried the White Labs version. I don't particularly like or recommend it. It gives a peaty flavour. I suppose people think that as Whisky can taste peaty then Scottish beer should too.

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
Adelaide homebrew shops Grumpys and Goliaths both sell masterbrew improver packs which require a 10 to 20 minute boil and straining through a collander. Possibly a more local hbs carries the Grumpys version? Worth hunting down if you can find them.

Jovial monk did carry some kits sourced from Scotland for a while - possibly under the GlenBrew label - if you PM him he may have some more info.

I've been happy with my use of wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
Adelaide homebrew shops Grumpys and Goliaths both sell masterbrew improver packs which require a 10 to 20 minute boil and straining through a collander. Possibly a more local hbs carries the Grumpys version? Worth hunting down if you can find them.

Jovial monk did carry some kits sourced from Scotland for a while - possibly under the GlenBrew label - if you PM him he may have some more info.

I've been happy with my use of wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

J

Jovial_Monk

You don't need a Scottish kit

more a matter of straight extract + specialty grains, reasonable strength and a BU:GU of about .5 (malty-sweet.) Only one hop addition

A part mash with some pale and amber malt would be nce, mashing at 70C to get some dextrins going, mebbe add some carapils or to the mash to build body.

I do have some Scottish Packs, email me if you want some details

Jovial Monk

Corey

Reaction score
BU:GU of .5??

Are you referring to a bitterness to gravity ratio of 0.5?

dunc

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses
Jovial i have emailed you about the kits

cheers
dunc

Latest posts