Scottish Kit Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunc

Reaction score
Im looking for a Kit Recipe for any Scottish Beers.
Any recipes or advice on how to make a simple scottish style beer would be appreciated.

What yeasts would work best when brewing a scottish beer?

dunc

Muntons do a Highland Heavy 3 KG kit. It is the closest you will get in a kit.
It comes with a dried yeast.

There are liquid yeasts available that are supposed to be Scottish in origin. I have tried the White Labs version. I don't particularly like or recommend it. It gives a peaty flavour. I suppose people think that as Whisky can taste peaty then Scottish beer should too.

Adelaide homebrew shops Grumpys and Goliaths both sell masterbrew improver packs which require a 10 to 20 minute boil and straining through a collander. Possibly a more local hbs carries the Grumpys version? Worth hunting down if you can find them.

Jovial monk did carry some kits sourced from Scotland for a while - possibly under the GlenBrew label - if you PM him he may have some more info.

I've been happy with my use of wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Adelaide homebrew shops Grumpys and Goliaths both sell masterbrew improver packs which require a 10 to 20 minute boil and straining through a collander. Possibly a more local hbs carries the Grumpys version? Worth hunting down if you can find them.

Jovial monk did carry some kits sourced from Scotland for a while - possibly under the GlenBrew label - if you PM him he may have some more info.

I've been happy with my use of wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

You don't need a Scottish kit

more a matter of straight extract + specialty grains, reasonable strength and a BU:GU of about .5 (malty-sweet.) Only one hop addition

A part mash with some pale and amber malt would be nce, mashing at 70C to get some dextrins going, mebbe add some carapils or to the mash to build body.

I do have some Scottish Packs, email me if you want some details

Jovial Monk

BU:GU of .5??

Are you referring to a bitterness to gravity ratio of 0.5?

Thanks for your responses
Jovial i have emailed you about the kits

cheers
dunc

Back