Say No, To Beer Snobbery!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 Can play your game.

I say no to grammar, to convention and to undue conviction.

And ofcourse, who could resist to saying no to drugs? :rolleyes:

I say "YES" toilet chin mounted toilet paper dispensers :lol: :lol:

Hi.

I have found over the years of brewing at home that the general public ( friends and relatives who don't brew ) expect the beer that you may serve them to be pretty much the same as the beer they may get in the pub.

When they come to my home some bring Crown Lager some bring West End Draught some bring Cascade etc and the list goes on.

I find that the majority opinion nearly always rules; in other words, if you have two or three West WEnd, Blonde, Super Dry, drinkers then comments are generally negative indicating that the beer is not the same as they are used to. Having said this I notice that most still are happy to drink the beer offered.

Then you may get the people who don't stand in the bar at the pub knocking these beers down like there is no tomorrow and then you can offer them a beer, maybe an APA or an Amber or a California Common or any other beer that you may have brewed.
I have had some say that they have enjoyed one of my APA's more than any other beer.
No boasting here.

I have a workmen's house that I quite often stay in, in another regional town on the Eyre Peninsula and I have found that when I buy JS or LC or any other beer and leave it in the fridge then, the guys will drink it without comment. But you guessed it. It is replaced with the regulatory Blonde, Super Dry, West End etc, etc,

This indicates to me anyway, that, the price is the major factor with the majority of beer drinkers in Aus (or at least SA).
I agree with Screwtop and his comments. Both beer and wine is to be appreciated for what it is. Beer is not expensive.

There is some bad beers (including HB Micro and Mega) as there is bad wines but within the wine parameters the product is not often considered a HB but a small winery or a bad year etc etc.
After all, there is not many homes that the general public may be invited to, that, serve HB wine and , or beer.

So as a response to this original post I call myself a "fence sitter", although I reluctantly call myself a beer snob if it comes to a bad beer.

It is an interesting topic and the more we all can do tho introduce the megaswilling public to "good" beer the more we will find people enjoying the match of beer and food or just enjoying a quality beer after a days work to "quench" their thirst.

Cheers

seeing as we are fast approaching x'mas i love the amount of people that SPLURGE and purchase the VERY BEST Beer ..... you know ..... Crown Lager LOL!

i remember being in Dan's last x'mas & overhearing a couple of workers talking about how the Crown is flying out the store faster than they can bring it in!

Then you go to the pub & people have that SPECIAL x'mas drink are buying Crown bottles instead of the token NEW.... LOL!

It's amazing how tradition sticks! & it's even more amazing that people are content with drinking the same garbage their entire lives!

What's even funnier is BEER isn't an expensive beverage!!!

Love the lable, well done!!!

I'm very guilty of this. Even to the point where i'll rag on mates for drinking "boutique" beer of lower standard, and explain why they've made a shit choice and how to redeem themselves.
As annoying as I can be it does get infectious, and most of my beer drinking mates do tend to drink high quality microbrewed beer when possible and are keen to go out and try new things. So I guess i'm technically doing my part for the Aussie beer industry in a little way. ;)

Are there any craft breweries in Australia that serve beer of questionable value? There are plenty in Japan. And wine comes in a wide range of quality around the $10-20 price point. Labels and brands count for nothing. You just have to trust your own taste and palette and enjoy what you enjoy and avoid what you don't. I went to a BBQ today (in Tokyo) after a half-marathon, and we drank Aussie xxxx from Costco, which was bland, but fine for the occasion, and bottles of Hardy's unwooded chardonnay, which was even better for the occasion. I ended up later in the afternoon at Baird's taproom in Harajuku (member Just CJ is head brewer of Baird) and had a hoppy IPA and a well-crafted pumpkin ale. For late in the day, with a few drinks under the belt, this was a perfect way to finish the day. At that point, another xxxx or Asahi Super Dry would not have cut the mustard. You have to keep in mind the time and place. And remember that, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with B)

Are there any craft breweries in Australia that serve beer of questionable value?

There's at least one that I can think of. I may have just had a bad pint but I've not heard anything good about any of their others and the response I got from my feedback in regards to said pint was less than satisfactory.

Back