Sanitation Issues In Your Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black_labb

Reaction score
Everyone talks about how they do things right with their brewing, but what do people do that they shouldn't?

I probably open up my fermentors too often. I've started using plugs instead of taps on my fermentors and siphon out of the top when racking for bulk priming. This means that I need to use a sanitised ladle to collect hydro samples.

For a while I was dipping my finger into the wort when siphoning out of the top when ready to bottle, but I've since started using the bottling stick and I can judge where the end of the racking tube is better. I should mention that the way I sanitise my bottles I had my hand in no rinse san on and off for 30 minutes before this, but hands are pretty germ infested.

Otherwise I'm pretty alright. I'm very careful with the beer until it's atleast mostly fermented as I feel that any bacteria that gets in earlier has a better chance than once the beer has been fermented.

I've never had any issues with infection that I can think of. I had a couple batches of beer using recultured chimay yeast that turned out extremely phenolic, but I brewed a nice Dubbel from some of the same yeast after spending alot more time stepping it up so I'm guessing it was just stressed yeast.
I once had a brew that had what looked like a possible infection on the top but tasted fine. I bottled that one and made sure to drink it quickly before any issues. I found a bottle of that the other day (at least 8 months on) and there were no signs of infection or overcarbonation after so long. May have been something to do with using rye which I'm not experienced with, maybe a layer of slick krausen.

So what are you slack about?

I had a pull in someone else's cube once.

Shouldn't do that. Not kosher.

I had a pull in someone else's cube once.

Shouldn't do that. Not kosher.

Yeah some people are funny about things like that. Maybe they should get a life... Its not like the beer will get pregnant. :)

I think into the whirlpool is ideal, you get that spiral sucking action which is really sensational. I've stopped whirlpooling because my beer always had too much protien haze when I did...

I don't pay enough attention to cleaning my beer lines and taps. I also should start looking after my lower back when cleaning fermentors and keg and braumeister etc I have 6 kegs and 1 50L keg so I generally try to clean as many as posable in 1 hit and it tends to take a toll on the old back. Making quiet good beer now but always learning and trying to make better beer.

I really don't look after my liver ...I should definitely keep it working .. instead of giving it days off ....

Latest posts

Back