Saison fermentation timing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpd1009

Reaction score
Hi,
I am brewing a Coopers Citrus Sail Saison and have just realised that I am away for 7 days starting day 10 of the fermentation.

There is little information with the recipe on fermentation time other than checking OG, i.e. between 1008-1013 and stable for 2 days.

I am trying to do a little forward planning and understand when the stabilisation may occur based on others experience.

Do I simply test at day 8 9 and 10? and if so if there is still movement on the OG what to do?
Thanks in advance.
James

Ten days is often enough, and seventeen won't necessarily ruin the beer. What yeast are you using (kit?) and at what temperature are you fermenting? With that information, someone who knows the yeast might give you a good answer.

I'd just leave it and check when you come back. Some extra maturation time will probably do it some good.

I wouldn't bother even opening it to check at day 8 etc as you can easily leave it and it risks less contamination by not opening it.
Bottle at your leisure when you get back and take a gravity reading for your records at that time.

Depending on the yeast used I tend to leave a Saison for 21 days in the fermenter. They are sometimes slow to finish so it is best to avoid over carbonated beer. The extra time should be no problem.

Lots of good advice above. I have left Saisons fermenting longer and even gone on unplanned holiday and having to leave it like you say (using Danstar Belle saison yeast usually). Never had a bad outcome with them. If you are dry hopping it and leaving it too long you might be rolling the dice there in terms of final flavors.

Back