Sail and Anchor...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whitegoose said:
Just so everyone not from Perth is aware, in case you ever come over for a trip some time, the actual Sail and Anchor in Freo pub where the brewery used to be is still one of, if not the best beer venue in Perth, dedicated to craft beer and are usually full of awesome international guest beers on tap. They usually have their own IPA on handpump as wel, and a randall. So disappointing their new post-woolies brews are so terrible.
Disappointing that their house beers are equally ordinary on tap... the rest of the range was fantastic, the couple of times I've visited.

2nd new sail and anchor thread in as many weeks. the search function is enabled poeple

S&A is avg beer.
owned by woolies after BLM/ALH bought them out and then they were bought out by wollies
they started a HB comp after beeing bought out to raise profile (search and youll find the thread)
they contrcat brew for gage roads.
did i mention avg beer.

not much left to say

I wonder how long the good beer selection will last now they they have their full range of avg beers. I have noticed the list has dropped a bit since matt left. Hopefully the Beer event continue but you never know

In Perth for a couple of days, in the pub tonight and almost walked out without tasting a beer. Really disappointed with the beer menu. I feel from my last trip six months ago they have gone downhill. World beaters to decidedly average..

Selection of interesting beers I was used to has dropped off if tonight's offering is now normal. Still a good venue, but tonight I am a little let down;)

I'd have to agree as alot more commercial beers are now showing up

OP and the BWS guy might have been thinking of Anchor Steam Beer.

I know it's not the S&A, but seeing Gage get a slamming i got to say that they pulled me out of the fire the last couple months when i've had no time to brew or ferment on the road. The Atomic pale ale has been a staple, at tween $42 and $46 a carton it's a toss up tween that and fat yak.

GalBrew said:
I made myself try all 4 beers a couple of times and I have to say the results have been quite variable, especially the Kolsch. They must be copping some abuse on the trip over from WA??
I reckon you must be spot on, there's no way their Golden Ale could normally have tasted as it did. It was horrible. I still have the amber ale sitting there from the same 4-pack but I'm afraid to open it.

I think S & A are getting a bit of a rough ride on here, yes there beers are not great, they do lack flavour compared to many offerings, but for the average megaswiller they
are a non confronting way into the realm of real craft beer. Recently grabbed the mixed four and yes I found each to be a little flavourless, but I would not say they were bad beers,
simply beers that havent been done as good as they could be.
The pale ale icy cold on a hot day was reasonbly refreshing.
Certainly wont be buying it again, but Ive had much worse and from brewers that should do better.

These kind of beers remind me of a NZ beer called Tui. Here's the label:

1858.gif

This is what these brands like S&A and Gage Rds are doing. It's essentially this:

5611.vw_2D00_beetle_2D00_rolls.jpg

citymorgue2 said:
2nd new sail and anchor thread in as many weeks. the search function is enabled poeple

S&A is avg beer.
owned by woolies after BLM/ALH bought them out and then they were bought out by wollies
they started a HB comp after beeing bought out to raise profile (search and youll find the thread)
they contrcat brew for gage roads.
did i mention avg beer.

not much left to say
It's been longer than two weeks since my thread to be fair, I also wanted to know who brewed it now, so some variation in theme deserves points I would have thought. :D

Nick, you've nailed it. My MIL brought me back a couple of stubbies of Tui from NZ to try. I was expecting much more. Inoffensive, bland and watery. A megaswiller's craft beer! I tried the pale ale and amber from Sail and Anchor last week and I was similarly underwhelmed.

Despite the fact that Tui is definitely nowhere near an IPA, I drank a few pints of it (and Export Gold and Summit Lager etc) when I was in Wellington, just to see what the huge majority of Kiwis actually drink when they go to the pub or the RSA. When served fresh from the tap it's actually quite inoffensive - none of the mouse cage taint of XXXX or VB or the eau-de-wheelybin back note of Tooheys Extra Dry.
It's clean, refreshing, and you can actually belch up a hop note or two when it's warmed up in the stomach.

Although they are only 4% I was fairly impressed with the technical excellence of kiwi pub brands, rather them than the creeping XXXX Gold canker that's slowly eating out the trade in Australia at the moment.

Orginally it was was 3X but they changed it..personally they should sail the brewery and anchor it in the indian ocean floor

Bribie G said:
Despite the fact that Tui is definitely nowhere near an IPA, I drank a few pints of it (and Export Gold and Summit Lager etc) when I was in Wellington, just to see what the huge majority of Kiwis actually drink when they go to the pub or the RSA. When served fresh from the tap it's actually quite inoffensive - none of the mouse cage taint of XXXX or VB or the eau-de-wheelybin back note of Tooheys Extra Dry.
It's clean, refreshing, and you can actually belch up a hop note or two when it's warmed up in the stomach.

Although they are only 4% I was fairly impressed with the technical excellence of kiwi pub brands, rather them than the creeping XXXX Gold canker that's slowly eating out the trade in Australia at the moment.
Steinlager is a decent beer. I bought a six pack recently and was pleasantly surprised.

Can't remember the last time I had a Tui. Haven't yet tried a S&A, but I just had to say that Rollswagen is fantastic.
What ever happened to kit cars, hey?

Nick JD said:
These kind of beers remind me of a NZ beer called Tui. Here's the label:

1858.gif

This is what these brands like S&A and Gage Rds are doing. It's essentially this:

5611.vw_2D00_beetle_2D00_rolls.jpg

I don't mind the Larks Foot Golden Ale myself, it has a very fruity after-taste which I enjoy on a sunday afternnon session down at my local. It's certainly better than most of the beers they have on tap there, though for $7 a schooner it certainly ain't the cheapest.

I was just looking for a extract clone recipe when I found this thread, now I dare say that my search will be met with scoffing and scorn from the passionate contributors to this thread.

What can I say, horses for courses.

Latest posts

Back