Sail and Anchor...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just trying the S&A Kolsch. Have steered away from this brand in the past. Bought it as one of only two 'kolschs' Uncle Dan's stocks locally as part of a fact finding mission for the style. Its been 8 years since I was in Germany and I new nothing about beer back then.

Not sure if it is a mishandled product (BB 12/13 so prob at the end of the range) but they sure have a hide for calling it a Kolsch. My guess is the marketers got a hold of it and thought 'how can we make it sound FANCY?'. I am getting a massive malt sweet aroma up front thats not at all unpleasant, just NO WHERE near the style. Its almost on the way to being a crystal/pale choc quality.

Hopefully the Koln licence police will take em to court for not using the 'Kolsch style' descriptor and they will change it to something more appropriate 'malty aroma pale ale'

Gage roads does ok when releasing their own stuff, some has been really nice. Whenever you drink their stuff on the east coast remember that it's been humped over the desert from WA and has a higher chance of being in less than prime condition, especially from Dan's those pricks leave beer out in the sun for days. Having said that the S&A recipes are horrible, IMO Jack Tar was barely ok but not worth the $, Devil Dodger IPA was barely any better and they're the best of the bunch.

What do you get when you have chardonnay sipping corporate wankers from Woolworths getting involved in brewing beer?

pickaxe

Same thing as you get when chardonnay sipping corporate wankers from Woolworths get involved in running pubs.

pickaxe

Latest posts

Back