Sail and Anchor...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried all of the S and A range out of the bottle and wasn't impressed. However, my local, which is a very average venue, has the Pale on tap and the few times I sampled it there it was really nice to my tastes. Easy to drink and nice hop aroma. The Golden Ale on the other hand was watery and tasteless.

For a light beer, I actually don't mind Clipper Light when I have to pull my head in or I am driving (which I do now with bub 2 on the way).

The Sail and Anchor Venue is great when they have themed events, not long ago they had a heap of US beers on tap (Sierra, Rogue etc) which is a great chance to try these beers on tap. The standard beer menu isn't great I admit, but Hop Hog is always available so I am sold.

I swore not to bother paying craft beer prices for home brand beer. And I haven't.

But the local BWS in Devonport had the Kolsch for $9 a 4fer, and $11/6er for the rest. That is megaswill prices and so I tried.

Meh.

But it was cheap and I didn't end up with a blinding hangover (something that one schooie of Carlton Mid has done in the past).

I received 2x "cases" (4x4-packs) as part of the Beer n Brewer mag subscription of the Kolsch, at first I didn't like it as it was my first Kolsch and I had a different expectation. But after a few now I am enjoying the vienna malt flavours and crispness. I wouldn't say it's the best beer ever but it's definitely far from the worst.

I'd be happy trying to rest of their range!

Got a four pack of the kolsh the other week after seeing them for 9 bucks at woolworth's.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I swore not to bother paying craft beer prices for home brand beer. And I haven't.

But the local BWS in Devonport had the Kolsch for $9 a 4fer, and $11/6er for the rest. That is megaswill prices and so I tried.

Meh.
Sums it up perfectly. Give it about a 6/10, maybe 5.5. They gave me 2 free glasses with the 4 pack though, so in the end it was a decent deal. 4 slightly above average beers, plus 2 good beer glasses, 9 bucks B)

S&A is terrible... I'd rate it no higher than regular mega swill, such a shame for the craft beer category to get tainted by poor offerings from big companies... I don't mind the big corps making "craft" beer IF they would do a good job of it and not possibly turn 1st timers off the whole experience.

I quite like Gage Roads labelled stuff, Atomic, Convict and Abstinence have all been thoroughly enjoyed, so they definitely know how to brew beer over there.

It goes to show what cheap assed, corner cutting recipe design can do!

I'd prefer a steamrail over an s&a (from what I've tried), but both are essentially glorified swill IMO. Very much like a bland JS...

I'd rather spend a couple of extra bob getting something decent.

Sail and Anchor know their target audience. The majority of the population buys tasteless megaswill. But they can see people are gaining more interest in craft beer. So they have gone the middle ground. They have created a range of beers with slightly more flavour than your average megaswill but at megaswill prices. It designed to appeal to your average drinker not your craft beer connoisseur.

I was very surprised when they released the Jack Tar Imperial Stout. I recently reviewed it, It's not amazing but alot better than I expected.

http://www.beeriosity.com/date/sail-anchor-jack-tar-imperial-stout.html

PS. I'm all for the big boys improving their craft beer range due to the quite apparent demand, and these beers won't be too offensive for swill drinkers who are willing to give something else a go (especially at the low prices).

I'm just hoping it will open the minds to some swill drinkers, who then realise there's even more flavoursome brews to be tasted, and move on from steamrail/s&a and further push for a large selection of craft beers from the big 2 distributors.

EDIT: Beaten by piraterum

Some of the criticism is a bit harsh. We got the same deals here -$9 for a 4 pack of kolsch and $10 for the IPA and Golden ale. (Haven't tried the Amber.) While all three mentioned are not super beers they were quite reasonable - if they were the product of my brewing sessions I'd make notes looking at improving them but I wouldn't be tipping them down the sink! At least they tried and they are way better than routine megaswill. And for the price .. good enough to wash away the dust of the working day before cracking the wine bottle!

Thought the same FG.....Not great but they do the job if needed. You accountants must have a lot of pencil/graphite dust on you at the end of the day though.

sponge said:
PS. I'm all for the big boys improving their craft beer range due to the quite apparent demand, and these beers won't be too offensive for swill drinkers who are willing to give something else a go (especially at the low prices).

I'm just hoping it will open the minds to some swill drinkers, who then realise there's even more flavoursome brews to be tasted, and move on from steamrail/s&a and further push for a large selection of craft beers from the big 2 distributors.

EDIT: Beaten by piraterum

piraterum said:
Sail and Anchor know their target audience. The majority of the population buys tasteless megaswill. But they can see people are gaining more interest in craft beer. So they have gone the middle ground. They have created a range of beers with slightly more flavour than your average megaswill but at megaswill prices. It designed to appeal to your average drinker not your craft beer connoisseur.

I was very surprised when they released the Jack Tar Imperial Stout. I recently reviewed it, It's not amazing but alot better than I expected.

http://www.beeriosity.com/date/sail-anchor-jack-tar-imperial-stout.html
I had the brass monkey stout in S&A pub in Freo about 8 months ago and it was probably the nicest Stout ive ever tried. I loved it. That Jack Tar business is terrible....you just don't want to waste your money on that shit. Really disappointed.

I bought a bottle of there Imperial Stout Jack Tar
Two sips and poured down the sink
Horrible stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gav80 said:
I had the brass monkey stout in S&A pub in Freo about 8 months ago and it was probably the nicest Stout ive ever tried. I loved it. That Jack Tar business is terrible....you just don't want to waste your money on that shit. Really disappointed.
Guess who brews the Brass Monkey Stout ;)

Got to add my 2c worth. Tried S&A pale ale and it was bland, basic and boring. Gage Roads should be ashamed to be associated with such beer. Have tried all three styles for steam rail and rate them decent ales worthy of comparison to the JS range.

The sleeping giant IPA is bloody awful. Avoid. My worst hb efforts are more drinkable. S&a, gage roads, don't care, all rubbish in my view. Money better spent on something else.

We are still doing it for them as far as I am aware. But then again, I haven't been up in the valley during the week for a couple of months now... Will hasn't said anything.

LUKIE said:
We are still doing it for them as far as I am aware. But then again, I haven't been up in the valley during the week for a couple of months now... Will hasn't said anything.
Man if I had to drink 1 beer for the rest of my life I reckon the Brass Monkey would be the one. Hope its still on tap when im in Freo next.

So many mixed opinions, ah well, I like S&A just fine. My local BWS has 4 packs of Larks Foot Golden Ale on as a local special for $7 each at the moment. I picked up 5. that's 20 stubbies for $35. That price for that taste is doing damn well IMHO.

Back