S-189 lager yeasts at Ale temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
laxation said:
My sister likes to rub it in my face while drinking $60 cases of beer paid for with disability ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What would happen if you brewed at 20-24 degrees with a lager yeast?
Or similarly an ale yeast at cold, sub-20 temps?

I haven't brewed in my house during winter so really not sure at all what temperature I will be getting...

Oh and just googled Ester, is that a fruity flavour?
You should get an agreeable beer by using an mex cervesa kit , following instructions , except for a few things . Sub the 500g of booster for 300g of white sugar, boil 500ml of water and remove from stove ,add 10g of Pride of Ringwood hops, cover and allow to steep for 10 minutes . Cool the pot in a sink of iced water and add to the brew leaving most of the hop debris behind. Use Nottingham yeast and place fermentor in the coolest spot in your home, which should be 12c -16c for a clean lager-like beer.

Does your recipe taste at all like mexican beer? Not a fan of that...

:icon_offtopic: If you want a yeast that can trot along at up to 24 degrees try Wyeast Irish Ale 1084, which is supposedly a close relation of Guinness yeast.
However not just for stout, it works very well in an ale and you could try using just base malt to go for a fake "lager" using Aussie hops such as Superpride for that VB effect.

Dublin Guinness is pitched at around 20 and allowed to rise naturally to just under 25 degrees, I've used it in award winning dry stouts and it doesn't seem to chuck fruit.

As MHB would confirm, Guinness brewery yeast used to be the major home brew yeast in the UK several decades ago. Guinness in bottles, back then, was bottle conditioned so the yeast was readily available for reculturing and was noted for accepting just about any punishment that the home brewer could inflict on it.

wereprawn said:
No. More in the vein of Carlton or VB.
Cheers, will give it a go! Are you saying to use just the Kit and 300g sugar?
Or is it sugar + 1kg of malt?

Maybe do it trying that guiness yeast too...

laxation said:
Cheers, will give it a go! Are you saying to use just the Kit and 300g sugar?
Or is it sugar + 1kg of malt?

Maybe do it trying that guiness yeast too...
Swap out 500g of the dry malt for for 300g of sugar.

I would probably lean towards dextrose (brewers sugar) rather than sucrose (table sugar) though.

Sucrose can have a bit of a cidery flavour after fermentation, which will be more apparent with the ~20IBU of a weak as piss Australian beer.

Dextrose should ferment out a bit cleaner.

What gives Australian beers there distinctive flavour is Pride of Ringwood hops, or Super Pride hops (a stronger variety of Pride of Ringwood). If you brew a mild ale with these you'll get an "Australian" tasting beer.

mckenry said:
Necro alert.
There are a few other Swiss Lager at 19°C threads about, but chose this one to tack onto. Most though kind of fizzled out 2013/14

Is anyone still doing this? I'd like to know if its become a standard practice and what the results are.
Reason I ask is, I've been very impressed by the new(ish) range of dried yeasts available to us now. Pretty much enough that I'll go with dry for everything from now on, bar Hefe. Havent been impressed with dry wheat yeast yet, but thats getting O/T.
I used the MJ California lager at 19°C and it was a great Euro Lager knock off. MJ's promote this temp. range.
I'd like to try S-189 at ale temps. Fermentis states 9-22°C range, ideally 12-15°C.
Just thought I'd see if any brothers or sisters out there are doing this.
Well,
I'm doing it! Having had success with MJ's California Lager at 19°C I want to see if Fermentis' S-189 can do it too. The MJ made a great Euro Lager clone at 19, but I couldn't get the same hops this time round, so its not a perfect comparison. I used Dr. Rudi to ~18IBU last time.

For the record and my lack of memory when I come back here to report...
83% JW Pils
12.5% Carapils
3% Acid
1.5% med crystal
Mashed in at 55 for 0
64 for 60
72 for 10
78 for 10
75min boil.

Magnum @60mins to ~20IBU

Pitched 4 packets (46g) rehydrated (half hour at 23°C) into 45L of 1.047 wort at 20.3°C.
Fridge set to 19°C and wort reached that within the hour.

Here's hoping....
One thing's for sure. I'm having a better 'good' Friday than Jesus was a couple of thousand years ago +/-

mckenry said:
Well,
I'm doing it! Having had success with MJ's California Lager at 19°C I want to see if Fermentis' S-189 can do it too. The MJ made a great Euro Lager clone at 19, but I couldn't get the same hops this time round, so its not a perfect comparison. I used Dr. Rudi to ~18IBU last time.

83% JW Pils
12.5% Carapils
3% Acid
1.5% med crystal
Mashed in at 55 for 0
64 for 60
72 for 10
78 for 10
75min boil.

Magnum @60mins to ~20IBU

Pitched 4 packets (46g) rehydrated (half hour at 23°C) into 45L of 1.047 wort at 20.3°C.

Here's hoping....
One thing's for sure. I'm having a better 'good' Friday than Jesus was a couple of thousand years ago +/-
Holy wowzers, four packets of yeast rehydrated for a 1.047 beer. Super-yeasties!

Do you get a super quick start with that much being pitched?

Dr_Rocks said:
Holy wowzers, four packets of yeast rehydrated for a 1.047 beer. Super-yeasties!

I usually pitch 30g into a 23L batch. Works great, works fast.

Dr_Rocks said:

GalBrew said:
I usually pitch 30g into a 23L batch. Works great, works fast.
Yep. In some previous posts, maybe another thread, I cant remember, I said I pretty much aim for 1g/L.
That takes into consideration that there may have been some degradation due to poor handling, age and temp over its time.
Also, yes, its a fairly fast take off, fermentation is complete in 3 days and I always hit predicted FG.
In my opinion, dry yeast is so much easier and actually more reliable (unless you have a microscope for cell counts) than liquid. With the ever expanding range of dried coming onto the market, I'm sure there will be a competitor for each liquid strain soon enough.
Been brewing now for 20+ years and spent so much time washing yeast, culturing, stepping up and wasting yeasts that I never got back to...
I dont brew to save $. A whole brew day, what's a few extra bucks to pitch at 1g/L and save hours culturing yeast?

mckenry said:
Necro alert.
There are a few other Swiss Lager at 19°C threads about, but chose this one to tack onto. Most though kind of fizzled out 2013/14

Is anyone still doing this? I'd like to know if its become a standard practice and what the results are.
Reason I ask is, I've been very impressed by the new(ish) range of dried yeasts available to us now. Pretty much enough that I'll go with dry for everything from now on, bar Hefe. Havent been impressed with dry wheat yeast yet, but thats getting O/T.
I used the MJ California lager at 19°C and it was a great Euro Lager knock off. MJ's promote this temp. range.
I'd like to try S-189 at ale temps. Fermentis states 9-22°C range, ideally 12-15°C.
Just thought I'd see if any brothers or sisters out there are doing this.

mckenry said:
Well,

83% JW Pils
12.5% Carapils
3% Acid
1.5% med crystal
Mashed in at 55 for 0
64 for 60
72 for 10
78 for 10
75min boil.

Magnum @60mins to ~20IBU

Here's hoping....
Well, I've done it. I can confirm from my sample pool of 1, that S-189 at 19°C gives a very Euro-Lager megaswill result.
I'm impressed. Maybe Mangrove Jacks Cali Lager was a fannyhair better, but, as above, might be the hops...
Either way, I'm happy that its acceptable, I'm not tipping 50L and the brewday wasnt wasted.
For the record.
1g/L pitch, hydrated. Pitched at 20, setpoint 19.
3 days at 19°C and all done.
yeast dump day 5.
Fridge set to 1.5°C for crash chill. Finings added.
5 days at 2°C (wouldnt go lower - and takes a day to get there for those doing the maths)
Filtered and kegged day 11.
Awesome if you're after a Euro knockoff. Very Heineken, Becks, Carlsberg kind of memories are flooding back.
11 days grain to brain for a lager? That'll do me.
Quick carb - been kegged 10 mins by the time these photos were taken.

image1 (30).JPG image1 (29).JPG image1 (28).JPG

Just kegged a cream ale that I pitched and fermented at 14c with 189, and it finished in under 10 days with a very acceptable level of esters for a cream ale.

Latest posts

Back