Rye Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Lately I have been liking a little % of Rye to my beers, which is likely due to the nature of being a hop head and searching for more flavor on the malt side of the bill. I have made up a recipe that includes rye and some ingredients I have available.

This beer should have a nice bittering charge from the 60m addition and great flavor from the late kettle additions that get complimented with the rye dryness and the mash profile on the dry side also with a Beta Peak rest for 20mins.

Let me know what you think and if you have any experience/recipes or knowledge of what I should adjust.
Code:
Recipe: Rye Pale Ale
Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l   
OG: 1.053 SG
Color: 8.9 EBC
IBU: 32.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 63.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Malt:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.50 kg               Golden Promise Ale Malt - Simpson UK (5. Grain         1        78.3 %        
0.50 kg               Rye Malt (9.3 EBC)                       Grain         2        8.7 %         
0.50 kg               Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC)                  Grain         3        8.7 %         
0.25 kg               CaraPils (4.5 EBC)                       Grain         4        4.3 %

Hops:        
12.00 g               Warrior [15.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           5        19.1 IBUs     
21.00 g               Amarillo [9.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           6        7.5 IBUs      
21.00 g               Amarillo [9.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min         Hop           7        4.1 IBUs      
21.00 g               Amarillo [9.30 %] - Whirlpool  5.0min    Hop           8        2.1 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast         9        -             
42.00 g               Amarillo [9.30 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days     Hop           10       0.0 IBUs      

Mash Schedule: 
----------------------------
Name                         Description                                  Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In                      Add 24.00 l of water and heat to 20.0 C over 20.0 C        20 min        
Protein Rest                 Heat to 55.0 C over 35 min                   55.0 C        10 min        
Saccharification             Heat to 63.0 C over 10 min                   63.0 C        20 min        
B - Amalayse                 Heat to 72.0 C over 5 min                    72.0 C        35 min        
Mash Out                     Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min                   78.0 C        15 min        

Ferment @ 19c with WLP001
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so about 5%.

What do you mean by soapy....? I havent heard that expression before.

I'm drinking a 5.5 ale malt 1.25rye malt 0.5 carapils 0.25 light crystal, magnum at 60 and 30, galaxy at 0 and dry. For 55 IBU. Nice drop.

It needs some passion fruit so Amarillo or citra would be what I will add next time.

There's a Sierra Nevada ruthless rye clone recipe over on the electric brewery website that I am going to brew this weekend. It calls for about 13 percent rye. It seems to have some good reviews.

I often do 5-10% in APA's for a little flavour and mouthfeel, but similar to Goomba, I find it 'muddies' the hops a little in larger quantities.

I find that all the hop flavours and aromas are still there, but just don't seem as sharp or pronounced with a large % of rye.

In saying that, I've had some really nice PA's with high %'s of rye.

Research, brew, take notes and adjust accordingly.

Seems like a big protein rest is this for the rye?

Protein Rest Heat to 55.0 C over 35 min 55.0 C 10 min

It's only a 10min rest at 55 by the looks of it, the rest is just ramp time to get to 55 from ambient (I'm assuming).

Yeah I see that now I read it wrong.

Thanks

So what does the Rye add? Any commercial (easy to get ) examples out there for me to try?
ninja edit - Also anyone used rye caramel malt?

Thanks

JJJ

AndrewF said:
There's a Sierra Nevada ruthless rye clone recipe over on the electric brewery website that I am going to brew this weekend. It calls for about 13 percent rye. It seems to have some good reviews.
I have made a few recipes from the Electric Brewery site and had been considering the Sierra recipe but have already got a bunch of IPA's on tap right now and wasnt sure I wanted to make a 13% just yet, if this one turns out nice @ 5% then I will try that as an ipa as I really like the hop combo they use.

Not a pale ale, but the 'current favourite' version of Dr Smurto's Golden Ale recipe works well with 20% rye:

55% Ale (normally TF FM MO or GP)
20% Vienna (german)
20% Rye
5% Carabohemian
Magnum @ 60 to 30 IBU
Victoria 1.5g/L @ 20 and 0
WY1272 American Ale II
Water chemistry - CaSO4 and CaCl2 added to achieve ~ Ca 90 ppm with the SO4:Cl ratio at ~1:1 starting from rainwater so no Na, Mg or CO3.
Mash - 67C for 90 mins, 78C mashout.

I've done this with only Mosaic as the hops and it's been excellent. Rye + Vienna seems to be really good.

AndrewF said:
I made this & it was nice, but a touch too sweet IMO. This *may* have been due to poor hop utilization (bittering hops were in a stocking).

^ ^ i was going to message you to see how they turned out, thanks for the feed.

Im hoping that the 19ibu from using Warrior for bittering instead of a clean bittering charge from say magnum or millenium will ride nicely with the rye and dry finish?

JoeyJoeJoe said:
Yeah I see that now I read it wrong.

Thanks

So what does the Rye add? Any commercial (easy to get ) examples out there for me to try?

Thanks

JJJ
Mountain goat did a rye IPA recently which I bought at dans, tasted a bit too much like their normal IPA for me. But there's an option.

Also had a Bacchus rye beer at the alehouse project a couple of months ago. Which was moreish, at 7% it wasn't a session beer but I enjoyed it.

Maybe Ross has some tips?

JoeyJoeJoe said:
The rye is supposed to add a peppery/spicey flavour to the beer.

The recent commercial Rye beers I tried are Brew Cult Super Fly Rye IPA, great balanced beer all the malt, rye malt and hops playing well together. Another was the Ruthless Rye IPA which has been mentioned but it was not super hoppy nor did it have a massive rye kikcing flavour.

Another one I have had is Devils Canyon Sunshine Rye IPA from the US, it has a massive rye spiceyness to it and you really know its there when you drink it.

http://devilscanyon.com/wpcproduct/california-sunshine-rye-ipa/

I get an earthy-spicy thing from using rye. It changes the mouthfeel too (bit richer/more viscous). Good for head on the beer as well.

pajs said:
I get an earthy-spicy thing from using rye. It changes the mouthfeel too (bit richer/more viscous). Good for head on the beer as well.
I was using the wheat for an improved head retention and you say the rye adds that aswell....maybe swap out the wheat for Vienna instead?

I like the look of your recipe as is. Rye and wheat together sounds good.

Back