Rye Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning a rye beer soon anyway thinking

60% pils
25% rye
10% wheat
5% dark crystal

1469 West Yorkshire

Willamette for bittering
Vic secret for flavour and aroma
30ibu

looks like your aiming for more an English Pale Ale as I was looking to get an APA.

25% seems alot, have you used Rye before?

Hey pratty,
I know your after a apa or ipa. The Sunshine Coast brewery do a very nice rye ESB. Well worth a try.

Pratty1 said:
looks like your aiming for more an English Pale Ale as I was looking to get an APA.

25% seems alot, have you used Rye before?
I've used a little bit in an IPA and you know it's there :)

But I'm going off smurto's rye version of the DSGA, and a few recipes I've seen on home brew talk. Plenty of people making ryes with bigger percentages.

I'll do a smaller batch for this one as a test. I think I'll be getting some rice hulls aswell.

The heretic gramarye is worth a try. I've my second rye beer on tap ATM which is based heavily on a clone recipes for terrapin's rye pale ale (which I've never tried). There's 10% rye in my beer and as seamad stated I find the most notable contribution from the rye is the slick oily mouth coating feel (at this % any way) and the glass lacing / head retention. My future plans are to use a similar percentage in English milds with earthy hops. What I particularly liked about the gramarye was its sessionable strength but full strength flavour

After more reading I think I will run with this % of malts for a first rye ale ( for the record is have 4 other beers in front of this one )

Golden Promis Ale 80%
Wheat Malt 10%
Rye Malt 6%
Cara Pils 4%

With 16% being huskless I wont be needing any sea gulls.....

The hops will stay the same but will be bumped up to around 40ibu, using 28g each for all the late amarillo additions.

Well I forgot to take the happy snaps until I was nearing the end of the boil, the Amarillo smell was great, I think I had forgotten how good that hop is.

Actually had a higher than targeted OG hitting 1.054 with an increased brewhouse efficiency to 68%, this was attributed to 3 factors;
  1. mashing in beta (60-64) and alpha peak(70-74) rest instead of single infusion :ph34r:
  2. using a seperate lauter tun for sparging instead of draining through the malt pipe on the BM and getting a higher preboil gravity and volume
  3. increasing the boil vigour using a dome hood - normal loss is 3.25lts per hour, had 4.15lt for a 60min boil gaining 6 points of gravity, usually only 5 points from a 60m boil.
The WLP002 yeast starter got going after a nice 8hr lag session and she is fermenting nice. The gravity sample @ 20c had a hello bitter and spiceness...cant wait get it into the glass....in 2 weeks after dry hopping. :super:

Just an update, I dry hopped it on the weekend with 42g of Amarillo and its sitting at 20c for the next week before i cold crash and tarnsfer to the keg.

Here she is....(not exactly a nature shot...will try and get a photo from the garden with some green and blue to show her off)

WP_20141019_006.jpg

Im pretty happy with the resulting beer.

• excellent colour and head retention, laced the glass nice.
  • clarity is very bright only a slight hop haze from the dry hopping, WLP002 flocculated great.
  • Amarillo aroma and flavour is spot on :icon_drool2: ....... I had forgotten how bloody good that hop is!
  • It finishes dry from the 30min rest at 63c, much dryer than anticipated ( FG 1.009 )
  • The 6% rye and warrior bittering charge play well together but the dryness doesnt allow for them to come through enough

The Amarillo aroma/flavour really balances well the Rye/Warrior combo then the dry finish leaves you wanting more.

Overall a great beer :super:

klangers said:
Would you add more rye next time around?
If I was to increase that to 10% Id have to work on the finish and try for a 1.012-.1013 gravity, then again others have not liked it at a higher % on a APA and maybe the dryer mash temp would keep that increased % in balance.I think 6% was a great starting point for my first ever beer with Rye, certainly wouldnt go lower than 5-6%.

Id like to try it with more body to the beer to see how those ingredience worked before adding more rye.

Brewed an AIPA with rye on the weekend: mash vol. 33L, pre boil vol. 30L, post boil vol. 24L, cube vol. 20L

BB Ale malt - 87.7%
Breiss Rye Malt - 3.5%
Breiss Victory Malt - 3.5%
Wey Munich 1 - 5.3%

24g Chinook FWH
14g POE FWH
10g Chinook @40min
10g Citra cube
10g Galaxy cube

Haven't pitched yeast as yet, I'll be using US05 in fridge at 18 degrees. Only found this topic after I bought my grains. Will the low amount of rye still give a dry, spicy quality to the beer? guess I'll find out.

cheers,

It may be noticeable. My LHBS always said to really taste a malt add 10% and you will know it's in there. I had my beer last night and at 6% it's there but not the driving force of the beer.

What temp did you mash at and what was your total Ibu?

held a temp of 66 for 90mins
IBU of 67. I'm finding IBU hard to judge because of the cube hop additions. Will the rye flavour be lost if IBU is to high?

It won't be lost but 3.5% of the total grain bill isn't really that much. It should still add to the beer, and somebody with a good palate should still be able to pick that there is some rye there.

:icon_offtopic:

Picked up 5kg of rye this morning :)

Well, I'm far and beyond being an aficionado when it comes to picking out flavours :p. But I'll let ya know if I can taste 3.5% rye

Recently made this beer again and changed the Amarillo for Mosaic, mashed at 64c instead of 63 but changed the Yeast to Dry English Ale 007 - finished at 6% again, dry crisp and the aroma/flavour of Mosaic :icon_drool2:

Recipe

Rye Pale Ale 2

OG - 1.054
FG - 1.007
ABV - 6%
IBU - 35
EBC - 10

80% JW Ale
10% Wheat Malt
6% Rye
4% Carapils

Warrior @ 60m - 15ibu
Mosaic @ 10m - 10ibu
Mosaic @ 5m - 5ibu
Mosaic @ WP - 5ibu (10min whirlpool)

WLP007 Dry English Ale @ 19c

Dry Hopped with 2g/L Mosaic :super:

This was also my 100th batch of homebrew and its fantastic.

Latest posts

Back