Rye IPA suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Did a search on here for said beer and nothing came up. Im after some info and suggestions in Rye IPA. What flavour/characteristics/mouthfeel does rye give? Obviously ive searched elsewhere via google and found some of the popular recipes I,e, some nice chap called Denny Con? but was wondering what some of our learned colleagues down here have to add? Its something I haven't done and would live to give one a try.....
Cheers
Steve

I would say oily mouthfeel rather than dry, in IPAs that are usually on the sweet side anyway. I once brewed a 25%. Rye IPA and I got a stuck sparge, then a scorched element during the boil. Nightmare of a brew, and it had an 'ashtray' aftertaste that wouldn't go away.

Nowadays I generally use 10%. 15% at the most. Lord Goomba Raja reckons he gets a shampoo taste over 8% but I haven't picked it.

Edit; I see that article linked above recommends rice hulls for grists with over 10%, I guess I learnt that the hard way :(

I like to use a little bit in APA's from time to time and up to 20% in bigger IPA's. I'm no BJCP judge and can't really articulate the perceived flavours from using rye but I like the spicy/grainy flavour it can add. I'd like to try making a roggenbier some time to really define the flavour it brings. Just be warned, if using large quantities it can get a bit gummy and you want to have your crush right. I did a black IPA on Friday (after I'd reset my mill gap) and used a fair bit of wheat,rye and midnight wheat. Had a bugger of a time with stuck mashes, channeling and shit efficiency and had to add over a kilo of dex to get close to the predicted OG. Will be interesting to see how that one turns out :unsure: . Interesting to note in that article how a much finer crush is used, I'll have to try this next time and see if it releases more flavour.

Yeah i've read a few different articles that suggest throwing in some rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash.

Apparently rye is notorious for creating a stuck mash.

I've used up to 1kg and never had a stuck sparge. I think a lot has to do with your good your false bottom is.

SimoB said:
I've used up to 1kg and never had a stuck sparge. I think a lot has to do with your good your false bottom is.

And crush, if your crush is set to so you aren't shredding the husks you should be right, I still use rice hulls though, I've had issues in the past with stuck sparges in all barley beers, my crush is sorted now but I'm still a bit paranoid when using wheat and rye.

You do need to grind the sh1t out of Rye to get a decent extraction from it. As the kernels are so much smaller than barley, rye can fall through the gap in the mill, or just get broken in half rather than getting properly milled.

Nick R said:
You do need to grind the sh1t out of Rye to get a decent extraction from it. As the kernels are so much smaller than barley, rye can fall through the gap in the mill, or just get broken in half rather than getting properly milled.
Great tip, I'm planning to do a rye/wheat fizzy thing soon, and I wouldn't have thought of adjusting the crush.

I really enjoyed the Rye O Rye (from memory) at the new bar Knox St Chippendale that a member here has his beers on tap at.
I decided to make a rye beer, that really shows off the rye and did some research on the most 'talked about' most hype if you like Rye beers.
Bottom line is between 15-20% rye in the grist.
I've only ever used 3% before, so looking forward to a 10%er to start with.

mckenry said:
I really enjoyed the Rye O Rye (from memory) at the new bar Knox St Chippendale that a member here has his beers on tap at.
I decided to make a rye beer, that really shows off the rye and did some research on the most 'talked about' most hype if you like Rye beers.
Bottom line is between 15-20% rye in the grist.
I've only ever used 3% before, so looking forward to a 10%er to start with.

15% crushed finely as mention a couple of times is the minimum for the spicy/oily thing to come through properly in my experience, I only really use Rye regularly in my mild and only about 10% of the grist, I love the mouthfeel it brings to such a small beer along with just the hint of something a bit different in the background, adds a nice depth to the beer without being the dominant flavour.

Kickass Rye AIPA

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

6.07 kg

Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.3 EBC)

Grain

69.7 %

1.55 kg

Rye Malt, German (6.9 EBC)

Grain

17.8 %

0.50 kg

Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC)

Grain

5.7 %

0.30 kg

Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)

Grain

3.4 %

0.30 kg

White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC)

Grain

3.4 %

24.65 g

Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min

Hop

23.3 IBUs

24.65 g

Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

Hop

49.5 IBUs

24.65 g

Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min

Hop

16.3 IBUs

36.46 g

Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Hop

0.0 IBUs

2.4 pkg

Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]

Yeast

-

60.76 g

Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Hop

0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG

Measured Original Gravity:

Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG

Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.4 %

Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %

Bitterness: 89.1 IBUs

Calories: 427.1 kcal/l

Est Color: 20.6 EBC

Made this a while ago. Not sure what the real deal tastes like but this was a cracking beer. Hmmmmm might be on the ta brew list!

Deets:

Tarapin Rye Pale Ale
American Pale Ale
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.988
Total Hops (g): 106.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 7.7 (EBC): 15.2
Bitterness (IBU): 40.8 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill
----------------
3.491 kg Pale Ale Malt (69.99%)
0.499 kg Victory (10%)
0.449 kg Munich I (9%)
0.449 kg Rye Malt (9%)
0.100 kg Caramalt (2%)
Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Magnum Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
14.0 g Fuggles Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
10.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
10.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.9 g/L)
40.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.7 g/L)
Misc Bill
----------------
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Latest posts

Back