Rye and increased efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indica86

Reaction score
Two recent brews with Rye have come out at 77% efficiency, a few points higher than my usual.
Is this Rye related or just random gains?
Smells great too when mashing.

Rye hasn't got a husk, so more of the mass of the grain is convertible, same for wheat, rice but not Oats it think its about half husk.
Mark

Thanks, thought maybe the brewing software would know that,

MHB said:
Rye hasn't got a husk, so more of the mass of the grain is convertible, same for wheat, rice but not Oats it think its about half husk.
Mark
Thanks MHB! Duh, so that's one possible reason for the drop in efficiency on my 60% oat malt brew. Just a few points, but I noticed.

TidalPete said:
Perhaps run your rye through the mill twice to extract a little more efficiency & taste?

Just saying.
Why would I do that? The original question was regarding INCREASED efficiency when using rye.
What makes you think the crush is not small enough?

indica, did you adjust you mash volume (don't know what system you use) to allow for more water absorption?
Last batch I made using 22% rye, I found myself topping up the fermenter with three liters of boiled water to get the correct OG and volume.

I BIAB in an urn and have a kinda sparge thing going. I got 23 litres which is about normal.

Latest posts

Back