Rum On Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkles

Reaction score
Just sippin n thinkin. Can I homebrew an alc Gingerbeer then add some bundy to a corny and fill with the Ginger, carbonate and pour ala Dark and Stormy? If so, any advice on recipe? Cheers Brad.

I've done it before with rum and coke. Works a treat.

Sold! Mearsy, did you make the cola or just fill the corny with bottles?

If you wanted to waste good rum, yeah... :p

seriously though, isn't dark and stormy with Giner Ale, not Ginger beer?

In saying that, anyone make their own Ginger ale?

Just sippin n thinkin. Can I homebrew an alc Gingerbeer then add some bundy to a corny and fill with the Ginger, carbonate and pour ala Dark and Stormy? If so, any advice on recipe? Cheers Brad.

You're a bloody goose Sparkles. God has sent man that divine drink "Bundy Rum" and you want to waste it by cutting it into potentially crappy alcoholic ginger beer ! Wake up man !

Either
1. Learn to drink it straight or over ice like a real man. I'll even allow you to add a dash of soda water cos I'm thinking you're probably just a kid.
2. Don't be cheap, buy some decent ginger beer and mix your Bundy with it. Don't mess with perfection !

Alcoholic ginger beer - tasted many, many were crap. What they miss - the sugar taste man ! Dark & Stormy is sweet man. Enjoy it as is. Don't mess with perfection !

schooey Posted Today, 05:18 PM
If you wanted to waste good rum, yeah... seriously though, isn't dark and stormy with Ginger Ale, not Ginger beer?

Hey big maaaaaaaan, don't mess with Dark & Stormy ! :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic: Hey Fatz, well said... Mind you, Game 2 on Wed.. You need a win mate.... :unsure:

:icon_offtopic: Hey Fatz, well said... Mind you, Game 2 on Wed.. You need a win mate.... :unsure:

BRING IT ON ! ...................... Bundy Rum .. see, I do have a soft spot for SOME things Qld :icon_cheers:

Edit : Actually I have a soft spot for all Queenslanders at State of Origin time .. there's a swamp in the backwaters of The Nerang River I'd like you all to jump into .................
:icon_chickcheers:

Bundaberg is as good a rum as Toohey's red is a beer.

Appelton estate is a decent rum. Bundaberg doesn't quite make the grade.

I bet you guys would use Captain Morgan's for more than just lighting fires wouldn't you? (only use I ever found for it)

You're a bloody goose Sparkles. God has sent man that divine drink "Bundy Rum" and you want to waste it by cutting it into potentially crappy alcoholic ginger beer ! Wake up man !

Either
1. Learn to drink it straight or over ice like a real man. I'll even allow you to add a dash of soda water cos I'm thinking you're probably just a kid.
2. Don't be cheap, buy some decent ginger beer and mix your Bundy with it. Don't mess with perfection !

Alcoholic ginger beer - tasted many, many were crap. What they miss - the sugar taste man ! Dark & Stormy is sweet man. Enjoy it as is. Don't mess with perfection !

Hey big maaaaaaaan, don't mess with Dark & Stormy ! :icon_cheers:

Harsh. But fair.

mate I just bought a bunch of coke on special, got some mates homebrew rum, into the keg and enjoyed! :party:

Pardon my ignorance Schooey, but WTF is the difference?

A fair bit between Bundaberg Ginger beer and schweppes ginger ale..

Anyway, pardon my ignorance on the Dark & Stormy, only tried it once and it was friggin' horrible, but each to their own. Maybe I'm getting the dark green lable of the D&S mixed up with the green lable of the Schweppes DGA...

and yeah, Bundy may not be the best rum in the world, but I grew up on it, and I like it... :D. Where I grew up if you drank it with anything else other than water or coke or with a beer chaser, you were a horses hoof

Yes but the average Australian male's drinking habits shouldn't be anything to go on should they?

How anyone can claim that VB at 4 something percent is a man's drink and a dubbel or eisbock is somehow effeminate when it's got a kick on it like a mule is beyond me. Add to that the fact that until recently most Aussies like to drink beer in smaller glasses than most other nations...................................................

BTW - I'll happily drink Bundy, as I will Melbourne Bitter. I just wouldn't shout about it being good. Fuel, yes, good no.

BRING IT ON ! ...................... Bundy Rum .. see, I do have a soft spot for SOME things Qld :icon_cheers:

Edit : Actually I have a soft spot for all Queenslanders at State of Origin time .. there's a swamp in the backwaters of The Nerang River I'd like you all to jump into .................
:icon_chickcheers:

We have 2 passions the same then mate, Bundy Rum and Beer/Brewing....... Just not when it comes to S.O.O, noticed a shitload of dead cockroaches in the shed today..... Must be a sign.. :lol:

for all its faults in the world of rum, I really enjoy Bundy and Ginger beer (has to be bundaberg). Might have one now

I remember when I did the fortification and distilling subject at University as part of my Oenology (winemaking) degree, we had Jim Murray (the whisky bible) give us a few days of a spirit masterclass. We went through a lot of spirits, then a fortified winemaker took us for the fortified sensory. Unbelieveable few days.

When it came to rum, it didn't even occur to me that he would put bundy into the tasting line up, I absolutely caned it for all these sensory faults and could not believe it when the rums were revealed.

I don't 'evaluate' it when I drink it now, I just drink it now, It is like an old mate, might have plenty of faults in some people's eyes but it doesn't matter.

I also think that some of the rums coming out under the bundy label are great, really smooth, but they have lost that familiar bundy dirtiness.

I have a few bottles of black label stashed away for the right night

I am off to grab a glass of rum and ginger.

to answer your original question, yes you can put a rum and whatever mixer takes your fancy in a keg and serve it through a tap. I have thought about doing it, but it is not even in the same ball park for me unless it is bundaberg ginger beer.

...but they have lost that familiar bundy dirtiness.

And i think that's why 9 outta 10 Aussie bloke who regularly drink it, like it. It's the rough edge about it...

Sure if I want a nice smooth spirit I can spend 10 times as much and buy a fine bottle of single malt and sip a nip for half an hour with a cool glass of water. But Bundy is my lawnmower beer of the spirit world, I just don't like it with Ginger Beer..

Yes but the average Australian male's drinking habits shouldn't be anything to go on should they?

- I'll happily drink Bundy, as I will Melbourne Bitter. I just wouldn't shout about it being good. Fuel, yes, good no.

Manticle , sounds like you can take the man out of Brunswick West, but you can't take Brunswick West out of the man !

I also think that some of the rums coming out under the bundy label are great, really smooth, but they have lost that familiar bundy dirtiness

I reckon K you have really hit the point home ! As a man hitting (50) old age, I remember when I first got the "taste" for Bundy back in the 1970s, it was that which I loved - the harsh, "dirty" flavour. Might not thought it "dirty" but6 I understand what you are getting at. White rum was shite (has Bacardi any flavour at all ?) and I did not like Captain Morgan - the only available Caribbean rum .. Mind you in those days, I lived in the NT and thought XXXX and Emu Bitter far better beers than anything else (so I was a little uncouth back then). I like a rough rum .. remember / taste Frigate ?

Drinking Rum aint a "manly" thing .. yes the little twats on a Friday night pissed to the eyeballs on rum and coke can test their fuel laden manhood on who ever. Been there (a few times) done that.

Maturity has its pleasures .. I have two spirits of choice - Bundy & Jamiesons Whiskey and will not refuse any decent scotch. F#@k the coke .. enjoy the flavour as is. Getting old has that advantage - I don't have to prove as much as the young ones do.

Latest posts

Back