Rum On Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for it bloke,Im not a Bundy fan but will be doing a home made bourbon and coke in a keg next week hopefull :icon_chickcheers: if the kegs turn up that is

Fatgodzilla:
A goose I may be, a real man?
sure you don't want to find out,
cheap, I take offence!
As for the alc ginger beer that was half the fxkn question.
And I thought this was a homebrewing forum, hooome breeew not puuuurrrrrchase.
Gotta agree D&s is close to perfection!

I would agree with you on one thing fatz - spirits should be drunk without a mixer as a rule of thumb. If you can't stomach it without the mixer then it shouldn't be drunk.

Obvious exceptions include: Gin and Tonic and good old style cocktails for their lovely refreshing nature.

However if you actually brewed the ginger beer (and it's an alcoholic one) the addition of rum is a good way to give it an extra kick.

Fatgodzilla:
1. A goose I may be, a real man?
sure you don't want to find out,
2. cheap, I take offence!
3. As for the alc ginger beer that was half the fxkn question.
4 And I thought this was a homebrewing forum, hooome breeew not puuuurrrrrchase.
5. Gotta agree D&s is close to perfection!

1. North coast boys never measure up to us south coast men :icon_cheers: - as far as finding out, who cares. If you have to ask, you aint good enough.

2. Didn't say you were cheap (show me where I said that) I said don't be cheap - Bundy and ginger beer is a good mix, why bugger around with what is already good - you aint going to brew anything as good, so dream about something else.

3. If you want to make an alcoholic ginger beer, Coopers make a kit. So do Morgans. Do some research and you'll find recipes to make alcoholic ginger beer. Hopefully what you make will be drinkable. It will not be anything like Dark & Stormy, nor will adding Bundy improve it a great deal. as I said, you'll be wasting good Bundy.

4. This is a home brewing site.

5. It aint perfection, but until I die and go to Heaven, its damn close ! You and me brother agree :icon_chickcheers:

Pretty certain it was all fun and games.

Exuberance is allowed in the noobies. They are the future of the AHB.

hehehe... You gotta love Bundy, even threads about it get a bit of aggro about them... :p

The old Grandfather used to say.. "Son.. if you don't fight on Bundy, you're a coward"

hehehe... You gotta love Bundy, even threads about it get a bit of aggro about them... :p

The old Grandfather used to say.. "Son.. if you don't fight on Bundy, you're a coward"

You are right friend, its the fighting syrup all right ! The beauty about age is that the older you get, the later in life you think you NEED to drink it !

too true! Bundy, I love the stuff, but I cant touch it.

Bundy, A.K.A. A bottle of "what the F*ck are you looking at!"

That is interesting, it has never made me aggressive.

I know that it makes some want to fight, plenty of one-in, all-in when is in the Navy due to mates drinking Bundy when they shouldn't.

I would agree with you on one thing fatz - spirits should be drunk without a mixer as a rule of thumb. If you can't stomach it without the mixer then it shouldn't be drunk.

Weren't you making anti-beer snobbery noises recently? What makes this any different?

That is interesting, it has never made me aggressive.

I know that it makes some want to fight, plenty of one-in, all-in when is in the Navy due to mates drinking Bundy when they shouldn't.

Blessed are the peacemakers ......................

bum Posted Today, 08:58 PM
Weren't you making anti-beer snobbery noises recently? What makes this any different?

On the rum again ?

Probably the amount of said substances I've enjoyed this evening.

Seriously I can (and will) drink almost anything so to say 'it shouldn't be drunk' simply refers to me deciding on what to buy rather than any hard and fast rule about what the world should be doing. Anyone else can drink whatever the hell they wish and bloody good luck to them.

I also believe my anti-beer snobbery noises are mainly in response to topics that involve brews that posters here don't approve of (eg 'how do I make tooheys? YOU DON'T TOOHEYS IS SICK IN A BUCKET.) I have quite distinguished taste in all beverages but my economic status allows me the regular privilege of downing rocket fuel with the best of them.

Hey,

I have previously pondered the idea of making a "mixer" in a keg but have always wondered why it is poured in to the glass before the mixer at the pub?

I have come to the conclusion its because you are better off adding the spirit to the glass before pouring the mixer (less wastage) and it probably eliminates undesirable secondary storage flavours .

cheers

Darren

(PS: I hate Bundy but will have another go with some Ginger beer)

I have previously pondered the idea of making a "mixer" in a keg but have always wondered why it is poured in to the glass before the mixer at the pub?

I have come to the conclusion its because you are better off adding the spirit to the glass before pouring the mixer (less wastage) and it probably eliminates undesirable secondary storage flavours .

not sure about secondary flavours, as the RTDs seemed to be OK, if we made a large 19L RTD, then I can't see the difference.

not quite sure what the wastage bit refers to? if you have a 19L keg of spirit and mixer and pour it out the tap into the glass, as long as you don't over fill, then where is the wastage?

Hi Kirem,

Wastage comes in the first glass poured in every pub in Australia and every Aussiehomebrewers tap!

Why not add the alcohol "to taste" before the base-mixer was poured?.

Seems counter-intuitive to me (and every pub) to add the spirit to the keg.

Perhaps you can explain the advantages to me?

cheers

Darren

Yeah I dunno why, but i always preffered to drink bundy out of the bottle, with the coke added from the post mix machines... That Bundy draught that appeared around the place there for a while was never as good.

But good point about the RTD's, I've never had any drama drinking black cans, but I still don't think they taste as good as mixing it yourself from the bottle. I know its never the same strength, but it seems 'flatter' or something also, I dunno... One of life's mysteries...

Not a mystery,

RTD is filled fresh and clean.

The first bit from a tap tastes nasty.

cheers

Darren

Hi Kirem,

Wastage comes in the first glass poured in every pub in Australia and every Aussiehomebrewers tap!

Why not add the alcohol "to taste" before the base-mixer was poured?.

Seems counter-intuitive to me (and every pub) to add the spirit to the keg.

Perhaps you can explain the advantages to me?

cheers

Darren

I am not sure that I follow the wastage thing, I'll need some more information. If you are referring to the first part that you pour out the tap, to push whatever is in the line out, then I understand, otherwise, you'll have to go slower for me. For me, if it was significant and I cared about it then I have the means to reuse it.

I mainly looked at it for bbqs etc when a signifcant volume would be consumed, a standard ratio could be worked out based on a standard pour, mix it up in a keg and then it is a simple matter of filling the glasses for each 'round'.

I understand that pushing a premix spirit out of a tap in pub would cause an unwanted or needed loss, but we are talking homebrewing here and in my situation, once I have the tap ready to pour then there is no wastage after this.

I wouldn't drink enough spirits to warrant having a keg of pre mix on tap and for the occasional one or two, I will still be pouring my own, but for large gatherings, then it is a different matter

Yeah I dunno why, but i always preffered to drink bundy out of the bottle, with the coke added from the post mix machines... That Bundy draught that appeared around the place there for a while was never as good.

But good point about the RTD's, I've never had any drama drinking black cans, but I still don't think they taste as good as mixing it yourself from the bottle. I know its never the same strength, but it seems 'flatter' or something also, I dunno... One of life's mysteries...

I always wondered if this more to do with the mixer. is it really coke they put in the can or some cola.

I didn't like the draught bundy either

if you mix your own in a keg, then it would be an interesting experiment using the same ingredients you would mix in a glass and compare to a larger version mixed in a keg

Back