Rousing the Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penrithbeerclub

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Tried a search but could not find a direct answer to my question.

When Rousing the yeast, do you just swirl the FV around, Not to splach and airrate, or do you open up the lid and stir with sterilized utensil? Do you want to re suspend all the cake in the bottom?

Thanks guys

Basically you want re suspend the yeast from the cake. There are a few ways but using a sterilized spoon/stick/rod is one way

hoppy2B said:
Why do you want to rouse the yeast?
Sometimes when a ferment stalls ( ie gravity is still high and not droping ) stiring/rousing the yeast can re-start the germentation and drop th sg to a better level

I don't think your going to get the whole cake bake in suspension without a fairly good swirl and oxidation risk, just get a good amount of it back in suspension.

I try not to go ape with the spoon on the surface, that's the main thing. Sort of keep where the spoon enters the liquid in one place and slowly scrape the bottom.

Thanks guys.

I guess this is something you should only do if really needed, not something you would do just to get a bit more efficiency from the yeast.

Yes that right. I only do it occasionally; when fermentation has stalled. If it aint broke don't fix it. If you need to do it all the time then may be there is something wrong with your process such as inadequate oxygenation of the wort before pitching or under pitching.

What yeast did you use? Assuming you used a dry yeast. Did you hydrate the yeast or just pitch straight on top? What was OG reading and what is it now? Is your ferment temp controlled?

If I have a stalled ferment, I transfer to my secondary f.v, that gets it going again.

As with any method, you must be careful with sanitation and oxidation.

It's only happened to me once that I can remember, I just picked up the fermenter and gave the whole thing a gentle swirl around. You want to avoid taking the lid off if you can help it.

Latest posts

Back