Rotis

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
Hey all you curry lovers, anyone have a good recipe for rotis? we all know the thin flat ones, but at a takeaway near my place the cook is a Malay woman and her rotis are thick and sort of rolled around from the middle out and you can unwind it if you get my drift. Just made a nice malasian red chicken curry and off to google a roti recipe.

cheers

Browndog

Made 'em ages ago (like 15 years!). From what I remember, quite a long and involved process, took a fair while (ie.. multiple hours). Actually, may have been Naan, cant recall!

Cheers - Mike

BD,

An Indian lady taught me in Fiji. Basically:

Flour into a bowl, well in the middle. Pour boiling water into it and stir until combined. Add ghee and knead until smooth.
Roll into golf ball size then roll round and flat with a rolling pin. It should be about 5mm in thickness.
Brush a hot non-stick pan with ghee and add roti. Brush the uncooked side and flip when the 'blisters' start.
Keep covered with a tea towel to retain moisture and not dry out.

Simple and easy, perfect with curry.

Cheers.

BD,

An Indian lady taught me in Fiji. Basically:

Flour into a bowl, well in the middle. Pour boiling water into it and stir until combined. Add ghee and knead until smooth.
Roll into golf ball size then roll round and flat with a rolling pin. It should be about 5mm in thickness.
Brush a hot non-stick pan with ghee and add roti. Brush the uncooked side and flip when the 'blisters' start.
Keep covered with a tea towel to retain moisture and not dry out.

Simple and easy, perfect with curry.

Cheers.

Theres something about Fijian Indian food... YUM! Best crab curry!

Not just crab curry Katie, but traditional chicken curry which you can't get here :)

Is it the north Indian curry's which are dry, and the south creamy, or vice versa??

Dry curry with all the spices. I'll post the reciepe I received for that :icon_drool2:

Cheers.

Whoah, those recipes are simple and awesome - will try! Sorry to derail with bad info, I swear it took us HOURS to make 'em.

Cheers - Mike

Thanks for the replies folks, I am happy with my efforts in curry making, now to become a roti master.

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back