Rinsing Yeast (in Pictures)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I'll dilute it further and bring to room temp. Cheers. (It's actually more diluted than you'd think. I added about a litre of sterile water to the yeast cake and collected two jars worth).

With that jar size I would have about 1/3 of that amount... waaaaay too thick to get separation. Tall skinny jars work better.

V8 jars are the bomb. 1/4 of the bottle slurry and top up with 800ml cooled boiled water. Collect as much as you can without collecting the trub. Those big mason jars you get from almost any $2 store are great for running off into.

Rinse and repeat... always repeat

1.JPG

Yob

With that jar size I would have about 1/3 of that amount... waaaaay too thick to get separation. Tall skinny jars work better.

V8 jars are the bomb. 1/4 of the bottle slurry and top up with 800ml cooled boiled water. Collect as much as you can without collecting the trub. Those big mason jars you get from almost any $2 store are great for running off into.

Rinse and repeat... always repeat

View attachment 54807

Yob

If I were able to drink the juice from one of those jars, I'd buy them, but I cannot. I'm on a challenge diet (food intolerances). I haven't seen any tall skinney jars in my travels... My mason jars are crap - they don't seal properly - hence the foil over the lids.

If I were able to drink the juice from one of those jars, I'd buy them, but I cannot. I'm on a challenge diet (food intolerances). I haven't seen any tall skinney jars in my travels... My mason jars are crap - they don't seal properly - hence the foil over the lids.

I dont use the lids either mate, gladwrap and a rubber band.

Are you suggesting that im follicly challenged?

Good Sir, I assure you my locks are as flowing as the River Nile... just very very short :lol:

Never, i was referring more to the scene as whole :p but for all i know it could be you most weekends..... :eek:

What about if I combine the two Mason jars' contents into my 5L flask? Or is the base too wide to assist with separation?

What about if I combine the two Mason jars' contents into my 5L flask? Or is the base too wide to assist with separation?

Answered your own question there. As mentioned you want the tallest and narrowest jar practicable.

If I were able to drink the juice from one of those jars, I'd buy them, but I cannot.

Get the jars, tip the crap out if you need to..IMO having the right tool for the job makes it easier..

1.JPG

The Yeast collection Arsenal.. the two on the right are for collecting, I also have several of each of the sizes to the left.

Ok point taken. It is only $4. I just hate waste.

I had been thinking of getting a glass cylindrical measuring vessle before this topic came up, now I can see one would be very useful. Very tall and narrow with a pouring spout. The v8 bottle meanwhile will be a good option.

After further dilution and being left at room temp, the mason jars ate showing about 50/50 beer/hops, so still no segmentation including yeast.

I use 440ml olive jars from the supermarket they have a screw top that seals so are ideal for storing. Try and put about 250ml of slurry in each one.

then it aint thin enough ;)

even just as an experiment that is a throw away.. split one of those jars into 3 glasses of variable thickness and add tap water to a control level.. you will see a noticible difference with the separation.. apply this to larger volumes and you are away.

:icon_cheers:

Good point never had one build up pressure yet 4C in the fridge puts the little yeasties to sleep.

P.S. buy homebrand black olives they are cheaper than the others on the shelf.

Okay Im still trying to get this sussed like many of us...

I poured 500ml of water into my fermenter at the end of bottling and tipped this into a jar. After 15 mins here is the result.

Slurry.JPG

Seemed too thick from what Ive read here so I shook the crap out of this and split it into 2 jars and added about 500mls of water to each jar.

After 15 mins the jars looked totally different. The jar on the left had a nice layer of wort, cloudy yeast and a hop and trub layer on the bottom, while the jar on the right seemed to just have wort, hops and trub even though I had shaken up the jar before splitting into two and adding water.

This pic shows both of them the next morning after being in the fridge ovenight. Would you agree there is no yeast in the jar on the right at all?

slurry2.JPG

Difficult to tell. From your photos it looks like beer above the yeast not water maybe do another rinse with water. It makes life more difficult if you have a load of hop debris in your fermenter.

I personally don't think it would be much use it just looks like a jug with a filter on top. Fat always floats on top of liquid in a very distinct layer. The filter on the top just catches the big stuff by the looks of it. I would expect all the trub and yeast would just go through the holes even hop debris is very small and would pass straight through IMO.

If you already own one of them you can be the Guinea Pig and try it out. Never know until somebody tries it.

Most of us cheapskates just make use of jars that contained something from the supermarket.

Mate, forget the lid.

It's a gravy separator. You pour in your liquid and the oil floats to the top, when you pour, it comes from the bottom of the jug, leaving the oil in the container.

Have another squiz at the link ;)

looks like a jug with a filter on top.
I think the difference is that the spout actually feeds from the bottom of the jug, like a tap, instead of from the top.

The idea being that fat floats to the top and you pour off from underneath leaving the fat in the jug. Problem there though is that when rinsing yeast, its not the bottom layer that you want and I don't think pouring off the thick trub would really work to well.

Having said that though - there's only 1 way to know for sure.

edit: spelling

Latest posts

Back