Rinsing Yeast (in Pictures)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How the hell do you guys pour off the wort and keep the yeast? Whenever I try to pour off the wort the layers stay level and as layers so Im also pouring off some of the yeast. Then the same thing happens when I try to pour the yeast into the second jar, I get a layer of trub and yeast flowing out of my jar and into the other.

Maybe I should syphon it off instead.

Thats what I thought would happen but this is the reply to my question if you missed it earlier today.

if you do it slowly you can see when the trub starts to pick up... slowly slowly is the key.

You (I) stop pouring when the trub gets near to the neck of the jar, thats why I like the V8 jars as they narrow to the top quite sharply and it's easy to stop when you see the trub getting close.

Yob

How the hell do you guys pour off the wort and keep the yeast? Whenever I try to pour off the wort the layers stay level and as layers so Im also pouring off some of the yeast. Then the same thing happens when I try to pour the yeast into the second jar, I get a layer of trub and yeast flowing out of my jar and into the other.

Maybe I should syphon it off instead.
I am not sure you need to rinse the yeast anyway. For years I just added some filtered water to the trub, swirled it around and let it sit for 5 mins, then run it off into 500ml swing tops. The on brew day just pour off the wort and add new wort , shake and pitch. With Lager yeast's I would make a starter to build it up a bit.
Saying that, I did try this method and it works great with two 1 litre plastic milk bottles. Nice and tall and a small neck to see when the trub comes to the top.

Steve

I made a coopers clone (double batch) the first one I got 3 stubbies and 800ml of wort made a starter then tipped the liquid off and made another 1lt starter and pitched that yeast. I fermented at 18deg I got banana flavour and aroma threw the whole ferment but it died off fast when done (9 days later). I then tipped the next brew straight in had it still set to 18 it went nuts first few days no banana at all, checked gravity on day 4 and it was lower then the previous batch I let it go for 2 more days no gravity change so chilled and kegged no sign of banana threw the whole ferment.

So I thought at the start people complaining about the banana and thought wonder if it was from underpitching??? I guess I proved that, also to start off with I had 20lts of wort, used 3 bottles of yeast (says 2 in the instructions), Used 800ml starter (says 600ml) and I drained that and done another 1lt starter so should of been heaps more yeast then what then I would of got following the culture post.

Bit OT but something to think about when making yeast starters!

Thats what I thought would happen but this is the reply to my question if you missed it earlier today.

Thats my problem, I need to get hold of some decent jars with narrow necks. The 5 litre demi john I use seems to keep the layers along its tapered neck up to the outlet so its hard to pour out just the yeast without trub.

Thats my problem, I need to get hold of some decent jars with narrow necks. The 5 litre demi john I use seems to keep the layers along its tapered neck up to the outlet so its hard to pour out just the yeast without trub.

As yob said, V8 Juice bottles are good. I bought 2 X 1.5L forced myself to drink the crap and been using the same ones for almost a year.
I put boiling hot water and wort in them, then no chill them. Always slowly bring them up to hot temps and down to cold as they would be very susceptible to breaking under extremes.
But they are also just a very good size and shape for rinsing yeast.

I put boiling hot water and wort in them, then no chill them. Always slowly bring them up to hot temps and down to cold as they would be very susceptible to breaking under extremes.

So can you pour boiling water into them? Your second sentence seems to contradict the first...

Awesome seperation there Yob. The proof is in the pudding!

From Bottom up

Bottom Layer (Denser Material) = Hops
Next Layer up = Trub (Less dense material)
Next Layer up = Viable Yeast
Top Layer = Diluted Wort.

The denser the material the quicker it will sink...

that particular jar (as per the post it was from) was left for a fair while as I'd finished rinsing and went onto other things... I was surprised at the time with the separation into 4 layers..

gawd it's perdy though :rolleyes:

ed: added the photo for clarity

View attachment 53923

Yob

So can you pour boiling water into them? Your second sentence seems to contradict the first...

Yes - i mean that you dont want to go filling them with boiling water or wort when they are at a low ambient temp.
For example after cleaning with hot tap water (comes out around 55degress) and napisan then i rinse with a small amount of my boiling water
they are good to go. I tip wort straight off the boil into them then cover with foil.
For safety reason incase a breakage does happen i do it in the sink.
All this could be avoided buying some proper flasks, but i am cheap and as isaid the V8 bottles have served me well for some time.
Saying that they will probably break on me some time soon, so i might update with some new bottles which means drinking more juice :angry:

Yes - i mean that you dont want to go filling them with boiling water or wort when they are at a low ambient temp.
For example after cleaning with hot tap water (comes out around 55degress) and napisan then i rinse with a small amount of my boiling water
they are good to go. I tip wort straight off the boil into them then cover with foil.
For safety reason incase a breakage does happen i do it in the sink.
All this could be avoided buying some proper flasks, but i am cheap and as isaid the V8 bottles have served me well for some time.
Saying that they will probably break on me some time soon, so i might update with some new bottles which means drinking more juice :angry:

Ok thanks, Im with you now. I have a 1 and 2 litre flask and use them too. But need more to wash and seperate back and forth, so a couple of juice bottles will do nicely.

last night i kegged a beer that i had used wy1768

after i finished, i tipped 1.5 litres of preboiled water into the fermenter and swirled it for a few minutes, then decanted the solution to flask

after about 15 minutes i had 3 layers, but the yeast was at the bottom and trub in the middle, and clear wort on top

the bottom layer was white and creamy, the middle layer was green/brown

i only kept the bottom layer, as it what most resembled yeast

i should have taken a photo, but i assure you, the stuff in the middle did not resemble yeast, whilst the bottom definitely did

has anyone ever experienced this with this particular yeast strain or did i toss the wrong bit out ?

I think i am getting this tonight with w3787, the creamy layer is on the bottom?

DSC_0425.jpg
DSC_0426.jpg

I think i am getting this tonight with w3787, the creamy layer is on the bottom?

View attachment 54465
View attachment 54466

What temperature is it at? You have condensation on the glassware which leads me to believe its cold?

Should be rinsed at ferment temps and 3787 loves to be warm.

EDIT: If i am wrong i am sorry i dont know why. If its cold, i would let it sit at 20 degrees overnight then pour off all that beery/water and add some more pre boiled cooled water and try again.

EDIT2: Give it a real good swirling too, like for 5 mins or so

Yeah cold and will b leaving the jars out tonite try again tomorro. Forgot about them in da fridge.

Ive recently removed the STC from my CC fridge as I want to use the freezer to store my hops, SWMBO is delighted to have some space back in the 'food fridge', getting the setting on the fridge right is a bit tricky and it wants to freeze everything solid.. with a shitty temp probe against the FV I clocked it at -3.7'c :blink:

2.JPG

This is what im getting after the FV being out of the fridge for about 12 hours and next time I will take it out the night before to see if I cant get the 'plug' melted in time for racking.

1.JPG

There shouldnt be a problem with rinsing yeast that has had a ice cube sat in a small section overnight?

:icon_cheers:

IMG_0419.jpg

This is what I collected from my fermenter after about 30 minutes in the fridge. No sign of any separation. There's LOTS of hop sediment. Will this all clear up and segment in time?

I don't think so. Looks a lot like mine when I have used a lot of hops never seems to seperate out into layers. I ended up just dumping the lot crud and all into the next brew.

I don't think so. Looks a lot like mine when I have used a lot of hops never seems to seperate out into layers. I ended up just dumping the lot crud and all into the next brew.

Bummer. I can't do that, as the crud is burnt, hence why I had planed to wash the yeast to save at least one of the costs.

IMG_0419.jpg

This is what I collected from my fermenter after about 30 minutes in the fridge. No sign of any separation. There's LOTS of hop sediment. Will this all clear up and segment in time?

G'Day mate,

It looks very thick to me and a few guys that have had separation issues were advised to dilute with water. Also you have it in the fridge, I think that the separations of those who have been succesful have done it at room temp.... then collect the yeast layer.... then crash chill post washing.

Worked for me.

G'Day mate,

It looks very thick to me and a few guys that have had separation issues were advised to dilute with water. Also you have it in the fridge, I think that the separations of those who have been succesful have done it at room temp.... then collect the yeast layer.... then crash chill post washing.

Worked for me.

Exactamundo its way to thick, looks almost solid

Ok. I'll dilute it further and bring to room temp. Cheers. (It's actually more diluted than you'd think. I added about a litre of sterile water to the yeast cake and collected two jars worth).

Latest posts

Back